I

edited

-

A small and cunning woman walks the busy streets of New Orleans at the dawn of eve. The sound of gleeful chattering, music and laughter fill the dense summer air. Decorations have been placed all along the buildings, lights twinkling above the streets, the smell of barbecue and popcorn floating through the air.

The girl catches the gazes of men, those men working specifically for the king of New Orleans, Marcel. She was on her way to see him now, for he demanded to speak with her. Alone.

She had contemplated on not going. Although he was a sweet and gentle man whenever she encountered him, there was just something about him that still made her uncomfortable. She couldn't put her finger on what that was, but she chose to go meet with him anyway in return of all the kind gestures he had done for her in the past.

She walked up to Marcel's door, curiously gazing at it, pondering if she should knock or ring the doorbell. She decided on knocking. The girl had only knocked once before the door was flung wide open, to the sight of a grinning Marcel.

"Welcome, my beautiful Jade." He greeted her, fighting the urge to take her and feel her delicious blood in his system. When they first met, that was what he had said to her. She smiled slightly back at him in return, a glint of nervousness evident in her usual calm grey eyes. He took her hand, kissing the back of it gently, breathing in her addictive scent. His lips lingered there for a few moments longer, eyes holding Jade's, making heat flood her cheeks. Marcel looked down into her eyes with hunger, withdrawing his lips away from her hand and pulling her inside. He shut the door behind her with a soft click. Marcel helped the nervous Jade into a warm room lit with candles and the soft heat of the fireplace. This was too warm and cozy for Jade's taste, her heart beat gently racing. The dark haired woman put her purse down on the table, as Marcel led her to sit down on the couch opposite from him.

Marcel relaxed in his leather chair, his eyes never leaving her stunning face.

"Would you like anything to drink, Jade?" He asked, his eyes desperately trying to get her to look at him.

"No." She simply replied in a quiet tone. Aware that she sounded and looked very nervous and uncomfortable, she shut her eyes and took a deep breath. The next time she spoke it was with confidence in her eyes and tone. "Just tell my why I'm here please, Marcel. I have some very busy tasks to attend to." She summed up the courage to meet Marcel's intense gaze. He only grinned, not because of the fact that she finally held his gaze with more certainty, but for how he knew that she never was busy.

"And what are those busy tasks, Jade?" He rose his eyebrow at her, making her shift nervously in her seat. Sweat begun to form in the palm of her hands, as she dug her nails in her palms. He dropped his gaze to her neck, her pure delicious blood pumping through her vein.

"I-I.. I have to go." She instantly shot up, only too fast, her finger slicing against something sharp under the cushions of the couch she sat on. She looked down at the cut, blood seeping through it as a drop ever so slowly fell to the ground. Jade frowned when she noticed a broken piece of glass in her skin. She instantly yanked it out of her skin, throwing the thin sliver of broken glass to the side. Looking up to Marcel, she saw a new found hunger flash through his eyes. She was very well aware of the fact that Marcel and his men were flesh eating vampires. If it weren't for the fact that her best friend was one of the witches that were conspiring against Marcel and his band of monsters, she would still be kept hidden in the dark.

Jade was suddenly pressed up against a wall, Marcel gripping her right hip, digging his knee into her thigh. Using his free hand, he took her right hand which had the cut on it, and brought it up to his nose. He inhaled her scent, his eyes flashing to hers briefly before he brought her hand to his mouth. He licked the small trail of blood, causing Jade's stomach to twist further in discomfort. She yanked her hand away, hiding it between her back and the wall she was being pressed up on. Jade winced as she felt his breath along her neck, Marcel wanting to fight off the urge, but knew it was impossible. And besides, he was hungry. He hadn't fed in over twenty four hours. He leaned forward into Jade's ear, his breath tickling her skin. She clenched her jaw, forcing her tears back, well aware of what was about to happen.