Prologue

"Come here you little bitch!"

I try my best to hide behind the couch. It doesn't work. Mike yanks me up by my hair.

"Mike, you're hurting me. Let go."

He slaps my cheek. "You don't get to tell me what to do. I'm the boss of you. Not the other way around. Do you understand?"

"Yes."

"Good. Now get me another beer. I'm done punishing you. For now."

I drag myself to the kitchen. I grab a beer from the fridge and take it back to Mike. He snatches it from my hand and then yanks me down to sit by him. After a few minutes of silence, he speaks.

"I love you, Piper."

I sigh. "I love you too, Mike."

I do. I mean he's my brothers best friend. I've known him since I was a little girl. I just can't keep living like this. He beats me daily. It's getting to where I can't hold on to my love for him.

Things aren't like they used to be. He was so sweet when we first got together. Then the drinking started. I honestly don't know how I've held on this long.

For two years, I've tried to look past his excessive drinking. I can't do it anymore. I'm tired of not being able to wear shorts and short sleeves. I'm bruised all year long. I want to be able to live a normal life.

Glancing over at Mike, I see that he's passed out. As usual. I quietly get up and head to the bedroom. I pack my clothes and shoes into my suitcases. And all my other necessities.

When I'm done, I take my suitcases into the living room. Mike's still passed out. I slip off the engagement ring he gave me and set it on the table. There's no point in holding onto something that was a promise for a future that's not gonna come.

I decide to leave my car as well. I can't risk him hearing it start. Or him tracking my car. He's been known to do that. I can't even go to my family. He'll find me there. I have to go somewhere safe. I just don't know where that is.

With more willpower than I thought I had, I pick up my bags and walkout of the house. I let the tears fall as I walk away from my life. I can't help but remember when we first got together.

^Flashback^

My phone buzzes. It's Matt. Again. He's been texting me all day. I've tried ignoring him. It hasn't worked.

Now my phone's ringing. Matt, of course.

"What?"

"Well hello to you too."

I roll my eyes. "Do you need something?"

"Yes."

"What?"

"Are you busy tonight?"

"Does it matter?"

"It does if I want to take you out."

"Why would you want to take me out? I'm not exactly anybody's first choice."

"You're my first choice. I want to take you out because I like you. Plus, you're gorgeous. No man in his right mind would pass you up. Go on a date with me? Please?"

"What about Sam? Aren't you afraid of what he might he say? I mean I am his baby sister and you are his best friend. I don't want to ruin your friendship."

"Don't worry about Sam. I already asked him. He said he's fine with it as long as I don't break your heart. I told him I'll do my best. So, are you busy tonight?"

"No. I'm not busy tonight."

"Great. I'll be there at six. See you then. Bye, Piper."

"Bye, Mike."

I hang up and can't help the smile that forms on my face. Mike's going to take me out tonight. I didn't think that'd ever happen.

Glancing at the clock, I see that I have a little under two hours to get ready. Thanks Mike. Doesn't he know that it takes a girl a good while to get ready for a date?

I've been ready about ten minutes when Mike walks in through the door.

"Hey."

"Hey, beautiful." I blush.

"What do you have planned?"

"You'll see. You ready?"

"Yeah."

I stand up and nearly run into him. When did he get so close?

"Sorry."

"That's okay. It's not everyday a beautiful woman bumps into you."

Before I know it, he's kissing me. We never got to our date.

^End flashback^

Things were great. I don't know why he started drinking. Maybe things got too hard for him to handle. I don't know. I do know leaving him is hard. We've been together almost three years. Some of the best moments of my life. But I can't put my health and state of mind off any longer. I have to leave.

As I continue walking, I decide to leave town. The next town over should be a good place for me to start over. Mike won't know to look for me there since I've never been. The only place I've ever been is our small town in Wyoming. I never felt the need to go any place else.

Several cars pass me as I walk along the highway. This would be a whole lot easier if I had my car. I'm distracted when my phone starts ringing. I pull it out of my pocket and see that it's Mike. I just turn off my phone. I can't deal with him anymore.

I stop walking when a car pulls over to the side of the road. A woman about my age gets out.

"Do you want a ride? I'd be happy to give you one."

"No thank you. I'm fine."

"Are you sure? It's not any trouble at all."

"I'm sure. Thank you though."

"You're welcome, but at least let me give you my number. That way if you do ever need a ride you'll have one."

"You don't have to do that."

"I know. I just want to." She goes back to her car. She returns soon with a torn piece of paper with a number on it. I take it from her.

"My name's Candace."

"Piper."

"Well, Piper, just call if you ever need anything."

"Okay. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

I put the paper in my bag and wave to her before walking off again. Some people really amaze me. She offered to give a ride to a stranger. Some people have true southern hospitality while others don't.