Chapter 8

I'm cooking lunch when Candace walks in. I didn't even hear the door open.

"Hey."

"Hey. You're just in time for lunch."

"Great. I'm hungry. What are you making?"

"Spaghetti and garlic bread."

"Sounds delicious."

"Yeah. So what's up?"

"I was bored at home. Figured I'd come and hangout here. Where's Tori?"

"She's playing in her room."

"Ah. I can't believe she's not out here with you. Usually she's right by your side."

"Well she went in her room like five minutes ago. So she hasn't been away from my side for very long."

Charlie walks in from being outside. He goes and sits my Candace.

"Ladies. How's it going?"

"We were fine before you got here. It was pretty peaceful."

I chuckle. "Candace, don't be so rude. You hurt my feelings." He feigns hurt.

"I don't care. I'm your cousin. It's my job to hurt your feelings."

These two really are something. They fight more like brother and sister than cousins. It's hilarious to watch.

While they continue their bickering, I finish lunch. When it's done, I interrupt them.

"If you're done here, lunch is ready. Help yourselves. I'm going to go get Tori. I'll be right back."

"Okay."

When I go to Tori's room, I find her on her bed crying. I walk over and sit beside her.

"Tori, honey, what's wrong?"

"I sorry."

"Sorry? Why? What happened?"

"I so sorry."

"Baby, what's wrong?"

She shows me the bottom of the shirt she's wearing. Its one I bought for her. It's ripped.

"What happened?"

She points to the edge of her bed. There's a metal piece on her bed frame.

"Did your shirt get stuck in your bed?"

"Uh huh."

"Is that why you're crying? Because you thought I'd be mad?"

"Yeah."

"Come here." I stick my hands out for her to crawl in my lap. She does. "I'm not mad, sweetie. I can get you another shirt. You didn't get hurt did you?"

"No."

"Okay. That's all that matters. Do you want to change shirts?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Let's find you another one."

She gets out of my lap and goes to her closet. She pulls a shirt out of the bottom. When she comes back over to me, I see that this one says 'I'm a princess.'

"You wanna wear this one." She nods. "Alright."

I help her get the ripped shirt off and put on the new one. Then she climbs in my lap and gives me a hug.

"Tank ou."

"You're welcome. You ready for lunch?"

"Yes."

"Alright."

I stand up and pack her to the kitchen. I set her in a chair and then fix her a plate.

"Here you go, sweetie."

She smiles at me. I fix my own plate and sit beside her.

When everyone's finished, I put the dishes in the sink. Charlie and Tori go to her room to play. Candace stays in the kitchen to keep me company while I wash the dishes.

Braxton walks in the back room. He comes and stands beside me.

"Don't you ever rest? I only always see you working."

"I rest when I want to. You're not paying me to sit around all day."

"I know, but I don't want you to be on your feet all day either. You should go take a break."

"I'll take a break when I'm done. Lunch is on the stove if you're hungry."

"I'll eat when you sit down. Let me do the dishes."

"I got it. Now eat."

"I'm not hungry at the moment. I want you to sit down, Piper."

"I'm almost finished. Just another few minutes."

Our bickering continues for a few minutes. Neither one of us notice Candace disappearing from the room.

"No. You're finished now." He tries to take the dish cloth from me.

"Braxton, stop. It's not that big of a deal. There's only a couple more dishes here. Give me just a minute."

He grabs my arm. "You're done. Sit down now."

"No."

He spins me so I face him. "Sit."

"No. I'm a grown ass woman. I'll sit when I want to. Not when you tell me to. I'm going to finish these dishes then I'll go to the living room and sit."

Before I know what's happening, he kisses me. I push him away when I realize what's happening. He tries to kiss me again. I put my hand on his chest to stop him.

"No. You have a girlfriend."

"What are you talking about?"

"Hailey."

"Hailey and I are done. We were done a couple weeks ago. I have a restraining order against her. She's not a problem anymore."

"How do I know you're telling the truth?"

"How do you not?"

Damn it. Why does he always say that to me?

"Fine. I guess I don't know."

"You really irritate me, woman."

"The same to you. All you ever do is boss me around. You think you can tell me what to do. Just because I work for you doesn't give you the right to try and ruin my life. I've had that happen before. I won't have it again."

"Fine. Be that way. I was just trying to help. You don't have to be a bitch about it."

How could he say that? I turn around and practically run to my room. I slam the door shut behind me. This cowboy is really pissing me off.

I throw myself on my bed and start to cry. I don't understand why I keep letting him get to me. He's nothing but trouble. I need to learn to keep my feelings in check. I can't have them getting in the way of my work.

My bedroom door opens. I glance and see that Tori's standing in the doorway with Charlie behind her.

"Piper?"

"Come on, sweetie. You can come in."

She walks over to the side of my bed. Charlie walks back out and shuts the door. I sit up and help her on my bed.

"Why you cry?"

"I'm sorry. I'm just upset."

"Why?"

"Somebody said something that hurt my feelings."

"Oh."

"What are you doing?"

"Nuffin."

I lay down and she lays her head on my chest. I start rubbing her back and playing with her hair. Soon, we're both falling asleep on top of my covers.

I wish she could stay young forever. Then she wouldn't have to worry about assholes breaking her heart. That'd make life easier.