Chapter 1

I've been walking for nearly two days. I haven't had anything to eat or drink since before I left Mike. I feel like I could pass out at any given moment.

The Casper, Wyoming sign was a few miles back. I turned down a dirt goad like ten minutes ago. There was a sign looking for a live-in maid for a ranch about three miles down the road. I hope I'm getting close.

I sigh in relief when the ranch comes into view. I just hope I don't get turned away. That'd suck like hell. Especially after I walked all this way.

I walk up the path to the house. I anxiously wait for someone to open the door after I knock. Some guy answers the door. Actually he's a cowboy. A sexy one at that. Just as quickly as it came, I shake that thought from my head.

"May I help you?" Even his voice is sexy.

"I'm here about the job. I saw a sign at the end of the road."

"Oh. Come on in. Here, I'll take your bags."

Before I can protest, he takes them from my hands. When I step inside, I smell something cooking. I get dizzy and then the world around me goes black.

When I come to, I'm laying on a bed. I have no idea where I am. Then I hear a voice. A male voice. Please tell me Mike didn't find me.

"Hey. Are you alright?" That's not Mike. Who is that?

I try to sit up but I have a pounding headache.

"Don't rush. Be careful."

He reaches out to touch me. I jerk away.

"I'm only going to help. I won't hurt you. I promise."

I nod. When I get to a sitting position, he moves to a chair beside the bed. Has he been here the entire time I've been out?

"How do you feel?"

"Like I've been run over by a truck. Where am I?"

"You're at my ranch."

"How did I get here?"

"Walking, I guess. You said you were here about the job. When you came inside, you passed out. I carried you to the guest room. Why were you walking in this heat? Especially wearing jeans and long sleeve? Don't you have a car?"

"I left it at my house for reasons I won't say. I hate to be rude, but I don't know you."

"Sorry. I'm Braxton Scott."

"Piper Anderson."

"Nice to meet you, Piper. When was the last time you had anything to eat or drink? You look really pale."

I have to think for a minute. "A couple days ago."

"That's a long time to go without. Why?"

"I was walking. I walked from the next town over. I didn't exactly have a chance to stop."

"Okay. Well, I made homemade pizza. I'll bring you some and a glass of water."

"I can get it myself."

"Not in this condition you can't. I'll be right back."

He's up and gone before I can say anything. This is a hell of a way to make a first impression. Passing out at the guys feet. Damn it! Probably won't get the job now.

"Here you go. I hope you enjoy it."

"Thank you."

He just nods. Then sits in the chair again. I catch him staring.

"What?"

"I'm just making sure you don't strain yourself. I don't need you passing out on me again."

"Well, don't worry. Just as soon as I'm better, I'll be out of your hair. It'll probably be tomorrow."

"There's no need. You came here for a job. I'd be happy to let you start just as soon as you feel better. I'm not gonna throw you out just because you passed out. It happens to everybody."

"Thanks."

"No problem. Would you like to change into something that'd be a little cooler? I can grab your bags for you?"

"No! I mean this is fine. It's not a problem."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

"Okay. I'll take your plate and leave you to it. If you need anything, just call for me. I'll make sure the others don't bother you."

What? "Others?"

"Yeah. My brother, Charlie stays here with me and our niece Victoria. My best friend, Lane, stays occasionally. He might be here tomorrow, but he isn't due for a visit until next week."

"Okay."

He leaves and shuts the door behind him. Great. It would be just my luck to leave one guy only I get stuck with three more. Just as long as these ones don't touch me it'll be fine.

A little while later my head starts pounding than worse before. I can usually handle pain, but this is unbearable. I've never had a headache like this.

"Braxton!"

He rushes into the room.

"What's wrong?"

"My head. Do you have anything I can take? I normally wouldn't ask but I can't take it."

"Yeah. I have some Advil. Will that work?"

"That's fine."

"Okay. I'll be right back."

I attempt to nod. It was a bad idea.

He leaves only to return a moment later. He hands me a bottle of water and the Advil.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. You need to get some rest. That'll help. You'll probably sleep through the night. If you need anything, don't hesitate. My room is just down the hall."

"Okay."

"Night, Piper."

"Night."

He leaves and shuts out the light. I lay there and try to sleep. It should come easy being that I haven't slept in a couple of days. I just can't seem to get comfortable enough. All of a sudden darkness over comes me once again.

I wake up to myself screaming.

"No! Stop it!"

I had a dream that Mike found me. He was beating me and trying to drag me away. I never had these dreams when I was with Mike. Maybe it's just the fact that I have to worry about him possibly finding me. Before I was already with him so there was no fear of being drug away.

I feel someone trying to reach for me. I start smacking at them.

"Don't touch me! Leave me alone!"

"Piper, it's me. Braxton. I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to make sure you're alright."

I calm down just a little.

"Can I sit beside you?"

"Yeah." My voice is barely a whisper.

I feel the bed dip from the extra weight.

"I'm going to reach out for you. Okay?"

"Okay."

When he touches me, I start to panic.

"It's okay. You're safe." He starts rubbing my back.

My eyelids start getting heavy. I try to fight off the sleep. I seem to be losing.

"That's it, Piper. Go to sleep. Everything's gonna be alright."

I fall into a deep sleep. It's so deep that I don't even remember y dreams.