36 | A RED-BLOODED MAN

Khadgar woke deep in the night, sweating. The fire had burned down to its embers, bathing the bedroom in a dull orange glow. Idira had moved a little apart from him. Her blond hair spilled across her cushion, glowing in the faint light like spun gold. For a while, he watched her drift deep in the realm of sleep, her breathing even and soft. Unthinking, he bent to kiss her brow. He caught himself and pulled back. No. It was time to leave. He eased his arm out from under her shoulder. Cautious, so as not to disturb her, he edged to the side of the bed. He swung his legs over the side and bent down to pick up his things.

He heard her stir; caught the soft rustle of the blanket falling away as she sat up. "Khadgar?"

He closed his eyes, so much for his quiet escape. She moved across the bed and embraced him from behind, her cheek against the nape of his neck. Through his tunic he could feel her breasts pressing against his shoulder blades. He forced himself to think about demons.

"I didn't think you were the type to leave a woman in the night," she said, quiet.

He clenched his fists. Why did she have to make this so difficult? He blurted out the question, unable to stop himself. "Why me, Idira? I am almost twice your age. You could have anyone--"

She laughed, soft. "Age is nothing. Since I have come here and discovered my true power I feel as though I am thousands of years old. And this place--it is saturated with your essence. I have learned much about you, of your past, the trials you have overcome, and of your suffering. You have suffered much, and always alone. Yet you have always remained good--despite terrible ordeals--your strength, your courage, and your honour have never wavered. You are everything I could ever want. I have fallen in love with you, Khadgar. Your secrets are written in my heart, and I cherish them. If only you could--"

He didn't let her finish. His heart pounding, he turned and took her into his arms and lowered her onto the bed, his mouth covering hers, hungry. She answered him, leaving him in no doubt what she wished of him. Her fingers tangled with his, helping him as he struggled to pull off his tunic. He shed the thing, and knelt over her clad only in his leather breeches, panting. He had never slept with a woman before. What if he disappointed her?

She smiled up at him, and reached out for his hand, entwining her fingers in his.

"You are also my first. Let us find our way together my love."

Humming a little tune, Khadgar spread a fat dollop of jam across his breakfast croissant. He thought of Idira, still sleeping, naked and nestled in their shared blanket as he had dressed to attend breakfast with the Council. As soon as he was finished, he would return to her. They had work to do today, it was time for her to enter the font and read the wards in the tunnel. He took a few extra croissants, setting them on his plate to take back with him; they were too delicious not to share.

"You look like the cat that got the cream," Modera said, eyeing him over her coffee cup.

Khadgar bit into his roll, feigning nonchalance. "Do I?"

Kalec lifted an eyebrow as he reached for the platter of cheeses. "You do. Even I can see it."

"As can I," Karlain murmured from behind his daily tabloid, filled with Dalaran gossip, which he had long claimed was his only vice.

"Never in my life have I know you to hum," Ansirem said as he tipped a small amount of milk into his tea.

Suppressing a smile, Khadgar finished the last of his coffee and stood up. He collected the extra croissants into a white linen napkin. "I just slept very well last night. I'm going to take these for later if you don't mind."

He went to the door, sensing their bemusement. As he left he cast a small spell so his range of hearing would reach a little further. He couldn't help himself, he wanted to know what they were going to say.

Vargoth said, quiet, "I don't think those croissants are for him at all."

Modera scoffed. "Don't be ridiculous."

"A beautiful young woman with the power of Aegwynn, whom he is keeping someplace only he knows . . . Surely I couldn't have been the only one to see this coming?" Ansirem muttered.

"You weren't," Kalec answered. "The question is what will we do about it."

A rustle of papers as Karlain folded his tabloid. "Nothing. From what he has told us of Idira's progression, no one could call her an apprentice anymore. She is more than his equal, therefore it is none of our business what they do together. As for me, I am happy for him. It's about time he found someone."

"But she's half his age!" Modera spluttered, outraged. "It isn't fitting for the Leader of the Kirin Tor to behave like a . . . like a--"

"Healthy, red-blooded man?" Ansirem asked, dry.

Modera gasped, scandalised. Vargoth chuckled, though not unkindly. "Leave it be, Modera. The heart goes where it will. Let him be happy. He deserves this."

Khadgar had heard enough. He went to his office, and warded it. It was time to wake Idira. He cast the teleportation spell and followed his heart.