38 | THE TUNNEL

Standing upon the top step of the font, Khadgar looked back at his and Idira's bodies locked in their embrace within the runed force field. It was her idea, and though he felt a little foolish at first, he obliged her before casting the spells. Now he could see why she had wanted to do so. He looked different than the last time he was here, determination and confidence had replaced his exhaustion and anger. Positioned in the casting stance, he held her protectively against him with one arm, while casting with his other hand. She rested her head on his shoulder, her hand against his chest, frost riming the front of his collar where she touched him. It was like looking at art. He was glad she had thought of it. He would never forget how they looked together, ever.

He had set the time for one hour on his watch, more than he hoped she would need. He touched the watch's face in his pouch. He was ready. He couldn't see Idira, but he could feel her. He squeezed her hand, held fast in his. Before they left their bodies behind, she had added an additional spell of her own, enabling them to speak to each other through their thoughts, something she had learned from one of Medivh's tomes.

Are you ready? he asked.

Yes.

Follow me into the font.

He stepped into the basin, lifting his hand up to steady her as she stepped over the basin's ridge. He felt the pressure of her hand against his, and then she was there, her body touching his. He pulled her against him. Her arms slid around his torso, and he sensed her apprehension. He could understand, the font was a thing that could be used for great evil. It was possible it could even harm her. He had cast additional wards, just in case.

Hold on tight. Do not let go.

He felt her nod against his shoulder, her grip on him tightened. He used his mind to cast the incantation and they entered time itself. Within its chaotic channels he focussed his mind on their destination. The centre of the tunnel between Hope's End and the Chamber of the Eye. Today. Take us there.

In a heartbeat, they were there, inside the damp, claustrophobic gloom of the tunnel. Fel torches dotted the length of it, pools of sickly green light stretching away into the distance. Already Idira was moving, pulling him towards the end of the tunnel leading to Hope's End. He followed her, sensing her urgency. They reached the rock face at the end of the tunnel. She stood still, her hand as cold as ice within his gloved one.

Can you take us back in time, slowly, over the past three days? she asked.

Yes, of course. He began to scroll back through time, stopping at various intervals whenever she asked him to. When she was done, she asked him to take them into the future, to the day of the assault. He did. They hit a wall. He couldn't take them any further.

Strange. He said, and tried again. He crashed against something solid, and a crushing pain, fiercer than anything he had never known before slammed through his torso. He clutched his chest, his heart felt like it was being torn out of him.

Idira cried out, distressed, sobbing. Go back!

He did. Idira sagged against him, shaking. It took her a long time to recover. He leaned against the tunnel's wall, waiting for the waves of pain to recede. His chest still ached but he shoved his discomfort aside, his concern for Idira rising. He asked her how she was, but she didn't answer. Instead, she stood, and pulled on his hand. Her progress was slow as they followed the tunnel to its opposite end. He sensed she was injured, and wanted to be left alone. At the tunnel's termination, she went to work again sensing and reading the wards, again she asked to go back in time, for three days. This time, though she did not ask to go into the future. As she worked, he touched the face of his watch, they were running out of time. He was about to say something when she turned to him, and wrapped her arms around his torso once more.

I have learned all I can. Please, take us away from this place.

He brought them back through the font, and led her down its steps back to where their bodies stood, immobile. They returned, enduring the searing pain of ice and fire as their spirits merged with their bodies. Idira remained in his embrace, shuddering, clinging to him. Blood dripped from her nose, mouth and eyes, freezing on her skin.

Alarmed, Khadgar swept her up and carried her to the bed. He lay her down, and conjured a bowl of warm water, along with fresh linens. He cleaned her, and held compresses against her nose and mouth, cursing with frustration as the linens began to freeze. He changed the compresses continuously, but despite the pressure he applied, she continued to bleed. He realised her injury wasn't a physical one, but magical. He cast in his mind for what could have done this to her, but could think of nothing. There was only the one event when he had tried to take them into the future and they hit a wall. He had felt it too, yet he had not been harmed as she had.

She lay so still, he shook her shoulders, fearing for her. "Idira, are you aware?"

Her eyelids flickered. Her eyes dull, she nodded, weak, and whispered a spell. The bleeding slowed, and finally stopped. She murmured another spell and her regalia disappeared, replaced by a simple robe, the frost on her skin melted away. He took her hand in his, even through his glove he could feel her chill. How could she stand it? He lit another fire, and covered her with the blanket. She shivered and curled into herself, her back to him.

Helpless, Khadgar stroked her hair. What had happened? She was so quiet, so withdrawn. He had never seen her like this before. Not knowing what else to do, he lay down behind her and pulled her freezing body against his, chafing her arms, trying warm her. She lay passive in his embrace, saying nothing, letting him do his work. After a long while, she roused and turned to face him, pale and drawn.

"I will be able to open the tunnel tomorrow without Gul'dan knowing," she said, quiet.

He nodded, and continued to stroke her hair, troubled. Something in her voice made his instincts prickle. She knew something. And whatever it was, it wasn't good.

"Won't you tell me what it is that is troubling you?"

He searched her face for answers. A veil dropped over her eyes, and he sensed her distancing herself from him. She closed her eyes, and a tear slipped free. He kissed it away, and waited for her answer.

"Just love me," she whispered against his neck.

His heart aching, Khadgar did.