Art; 8

A few days later, nearing times for Christmas all too quickly, I got a note in my mail. Rarely ever do I check my mail, but I was feeling more positive that day.

Wait, more positive? No, just more awake. In a better mood to keep things in check. Maybe. I have no idea how I feel, I just know that it's different. Nor can I tell whether I like it or not.

I shook my head ignoring it, as well as the obvious letter from the gallery. And suddenly the quick glance at that made me regret ever checking my mail in the first place.

I tugged my sleeves closer down toward my hands as I walked down to my every day cafe. Hearing the snow make a soft crunch beneath my boots and the brushing of my coat against my clothes. There was a light snow fall, but it looked just right in this Jersey scene.

I don't quite enjoy it -Winter, snow, even Christmas- but I had to admit that it was beautiful. New Jersey wasn't too much of a place where good things happened, but if Arthur was here, that was enough of a point proven that real beauty did exist.

I walked into the cafe, a warm feelings spreading through me and quickly enlightening my mood.

I got my usual and sat down at my window seat, relaxing before I slipped through my mail landing on the letter from the strictly stated: 'Art Gallery of Belleville' or 'AGOB'.

What could it possibly even be? Nothing like: "hey, you need to bring in a new piece of work". The more I thought about that scenario, it reminded me that I needed to bring in the picture I did of Arthur. I needed to really quick.

And with an unsure mind, I reluctantly opened the letter starting to read.

Dear Frank Anthony Thomas Iero Jr. The Third,

We have presented this letter to you, talented artist of Belleville, New Jersey. The staff, and your fans, have decided to have a small get-together. A few critics, some of your admirers and other artists as well. All gathered at the 'AGOB' for only your art to be on show. We owe you a big thanks and congratulations for all the hard work you've done. You deserve much love and with this get-together we hope you will get to see everyone's appreciation of you. It would be an honor to have you there.

Sincerely, Mr. Tantar

After reading I shoved the letter back in the envelope, taking a sigh. Of every artist shown in Jersey, they pick this place and me.  I know that I didn't feel too up to it, but I could get more recognized. Maybe my hideous art would sell, meaning I could earn more money.

Maybe be able to rent out an apartment in Paris. Even live there with Arthur.

Sure I could go, it just meant another night out, drinking classic wine and having pointless discussion about art. It would more be surprisingly boring for me; did I even actually deserve it in the first place? I know I didn't.

I decided to call Arthur and ask him to come over to the cafe. I know it wasn't too necessary, but his opinion was always great to hear. It wouldn't even matter, the plain sight of him would make me happy anyway.

His eager voice rung through and I told him to come over. He mumbled something and said he'd be over. I smiled as I hung up. I reached across for my coffee noticing the scars there at my wrist that showed when my sleeves were pulled back by just a little.

I winced at how the uncomfortable material of my shirt brushed against them. Wincing at how ugly they were and in the remembrance of all my bad memories -the things that constantly haunt me on a daily basis. The times years ago when my parents had yelled 24/7, and even today when I wake up every morning knowing I'm still alive.

I wondered back to the letter and later noticed Arthur walking through the door and coming to sit across from me. I passed him the letter and he sighed, the tip of his nose a soft pink from it being so cold outside.

"What is this?" He asked, looking over the letter and back up at me. The curious glint in his gorgeous hazel eyes.

"A letter I got from the Art Gallery."

His eyes perked up and he eagerly unfolded the letter his eyes scanning over the note quickly.

"Anthony, you- you need to go-"

"No, I don't," I interrupted, throwing my head back and sighing.

"You do. This is a lot. Anthony, you deserve this, this is what you need. Your art -it's just so amazing. Whether you like it or not, people admire it and you should realize how much it means to them. It's important, Anthony. You might not care, but it'll be a special opportunity. And you should go," he finished. I stared at him, his eyes desperate and serious.

I would be too selfish to not go, but it also wouldn't really matter because they would have it anyway. I saw his point. But still, I just couldn't help the other objections running through my head. But what if Arthur was right? What if I had fun or enjoyed myself? Would I be able to appreciate the meaning of my own art? I wasn't sure but if Arthur was going I know it would at least feel right. And for some reason, I felt I could rely on him and put down some of my trust.

"I guess I can go," I said, looking at his excited expression. "Only if you're coming with me."

He nodded frantically, a huge smile spreading across his face and his cute dimples showing. I was so happy he had agreed to tag along with me. He was the reason for most of my inspiration after all.

So for once in my life -I was truly happy.