1 | VAMP NEST

"After all, how can you run from what's inside you?"
- fetus Sam Winchester

•••

    Breathe... breathe... breathe...

    I can't get any oxygen to my lungs. My mouth hangs open, struggling for breath, but the calloused fingers around my neck are constantly tightening, never allowing me any air. I bring my hand up and start hitting the arm away in a feeble attempt to escape, but this monster is much stronger than me. It's my fault for screwing up this damn hunt and putting myself in the line of fire. Usually I can eliminate a threat from a distance if I use my head right, but this time I lacked information, I didn't know how many more vamps there were in the nest. I thought it was only four or five, but there were plenty more hiding in corners, waiting for the right moment.

    The blood sucker put his hands around my neck as a thank you for beheading his entire family in front of him. That moment was the first time in years where I was truly terrified for my life. I still would be if I could think properly, but the giant sausage fingers are still squeezing around my neck, and I wonder how I'm not dead yet.

    "This is for my family," he grunts, pressing his thumbs against my skin.  I decide to fight for my life one last time. I fumble with the front pocket of my jeans until I find my pocket knife. In one quick motion, I bring it up and use all my might to push it through his head. His hands instantly fall from my neck.

    I inhale deeply, bringing my hands up to my neck to caress the spot on my neck where I'm sure there will be bruises. When I look forward the vamp is lying on the ground unmoving, blood seeping in a line across his forehead where the knife is lodged. I grimace at the sight before curling my fingers around the handle of my pocket knife and pulling it out of the vamps head. Just to make sure the job is done, I grab my machete from the floor — which I had dropped earlier — and separate his head from his body.

    I make quick work of dragging the heavy bodies outside into a pile. Well, it's not exactly quick, given that their are about a dozen dead bodies.

    The gasoline is poured and the match is lit. I don't bother saying any words for the deceased... well I give them a few, but I doubt they'd appreciate it.

    "Adios, bitches," I bid the pile of burning vampire bodies goodbye as I get into my car, tossing my duffel bag on the passenger seat. It has been a really long and crappy day, and what I would love is to sit down on the crappy motel bed and try to sleep.

    When I turn the key to start the engine, it simply turns over. I grit my teeth and try it again, and again, and again. But I get nothing. I groan in frustration and hit my hands against the steering wheel. A crappy end to a crappier day.

    It's at least a half an hour later when I find another car that is half decent. I bump the wires together and bring the engine to life, laughing in triumph. Sure, it's not the greatest car — a cheap little blue Camaro — but it'll work for now.

    My phone chimes from the passenger seat. I lift it up to reveal a text message from one of my long time friends, Jody Mills.

    Jody: You're late! You were supposed to be here two hours ago. Is everything okay?

    I smile sheepishly. Jody and I became friends years ago. It started when I was causing trouble in Sioux Falls, where she is the sheriff. I caused trouble for a while there, stealing small stuff from convenience stores and 7/11s. It was never a big deal, but enough for me to get noticed.

    Anyways, we keep in contact these days with calls and texts. Once in a while, I go visit her for a few days at a time.

    Sorry, just cleaned out a vamp nest. Need to clean up and rest. Be there in the morning?

    I set my phone down, knowing that she will be okay with the arrangement.

    The nearest motel isn't far. I pay for one night in cash and do not even bother to take my clothes off and shower; I'm far too tired. I'm asleep before I even hit the mattress, and I'm pulled into a deep, dreamless sleep.

***

    Yay, new fanfiction! I already have ten chapters written, but I need to go over them and change some stuff before posting them. I am very excited to write this story!

    By the way, this chapter is really short compared to the next ones. :)