27 | OLD FRIENDS

When we get inside the motel room, I make no move to begin any conversation. It's Dean fault anyways, for leaving us here like this, to 'talk about our feelings'. While there are things I want to get in the air, I'm not even completely sure how to word them and I doubt if Sam wants to talk about it either. After all, he seems pretty intent on ignoring me unless it's about the freaking case. I guess I shouldn't be too mad at him, though. I've done my fair share of ignoring him as well.

Since I don't have my laptop with me, I lay flat out on the bed, watching the way Sam's jaw tenses as he realizes I'm looking at him.

"We could probably get this done faster if you'd help," he tells me from the table in the middle of the room.

I shrug my shoulders. "Yeah, probably. But if you remember, my laptop is in the impala." He doesn't say anything to this, only flips through some pieces of paper. I briefly wonder if he's just doing that to occupy himself, and to ignore me.

"You know," I begin, clearing my throat. "If we were a couple, we could do research naked." I feel my face get warm at my own words. Especially when Sam lifts his head and glances over at me with a weird look on his face. But that's what I wanted. To get his attention and to address the problem.

"So, we gonna talk about it or what?" I say expectedly, as I get up and go over to the fridge, grabbing a bottle of water I stashed there earlier.

"Are you really going to leave once we're finished with the Darkness?" Sam asks me, not looking at me. He's not looking at the work in front of him either, though. I look at him a moment, scrunching my eyebrows and trying to figure him out. When he talks in a tone like that, I can't help but wonder that maybe he has feelings for me too.

"Sam, when I said that, I was still reeling from the thing with Lucifer and Amara," I explain, dropping my voice. I did say I want to leave, but the fact that it distresses Sam so much makes me want to stay. "That didn't really have anything to do with you. If you'd just asked me to stay, I probably would."

He finally looks at me. Now we're getting somewhere. "You would?" He doesn't seem mad anymore. Good.

"Of course," I say without thinking, like he's crazy for even asking that. "Obviously, it won't be fun if you go on ignoring me like you've been..." I trail off, turning a little to place my water bottle on the counter behind me.

Now I'm not sure if the action takes longer than I expected, or I didn't hear the scrape of the chair against the floor, but when I turn back, Sam is on his feet. He's stepping towards me, and I have no where to go, what with the counter behind me. Before I can even comprehend what's happening, he is taking my face in his hands and tipping his head down those few inches to kiss me. I feel like I should have seen that coming.

I don't know what to do, so I just stand there and kiss him back, hoping I'm not doing it wrong. It's been a long time since I've kissed anyone, but the way Sam's mouth moves softly against my own makes me forget all about my lack of experience.

He's pulling away too soon, but he stays close. I can feel my heart hammering in my chest, and my breathing is shallow, even for the kiss we just had. For a moment, I'm not even completely sure that it actually just happened. I mean, Sam Winchester kissing me. It's something straight out of my dreams.

I don't know what to say. I don't look him in the eye, not yet. He takes his hands away from my face slowly, and I finally look at him. He smiles at me, eyes soft.

"You're something else, Bailey Mitchell," he says. The way he says that has me blushing furiously. I mean, what do you say to something like that?