𝟎𝟐 ― Sixth Year Surprises

two sixth year surprises

AS SHE ALWAYS DID, SHE COUNTED DOWN THE DAYS UNTIL SEPTEMBER FIRST. While she loved summer, and loved spending time with her dad since she didn't get to see him at all practically during the school year, she was terribly disconnected from that world. The majority of her year was spent at Hogwarts, and so that was where her life was.

         Her friends, her interests, and anything she liked to do on the weekends was there and not at home. She wasn't quite good at making friends until she met Lucille, so she didn't have any childhood buddies that she could spend time with, and though some shops always remained the same others redecorated or closed and others opened so everything felt new and she felt out of place.

         But Hogwarts never changed. Professors came and left, as did students, but the general atmosphere was always the same and she always knew what to expect. Lucille would be by her side, as would Loren, and Regulus would meet her in the Room of Requirement to watch Disney movies since he was terribly uneducated in the matter.

         Those things never happened at home, because Regulus was never allowed out of the house and never to the home of a probably muggleborn. That was simply against the law. Loren would come by and they would hang out a lot during summer, but his family also spent weeks away in France of Italy for vacations and Lucille's family didn't quite like her either. But they would be together at school, so school was what she always waited for.

         And when the fated day finally arrived, she was more than ready for it. Her bags had been mostly packed for a week, some final touches to go like her hairbrush and some of her favorite shirts, and her schoolwork completed long before September.

         She was ready – the only thing missing was her mother's old bracelet she always wore. She wasn't sure why she insisted on wearing it, her mother ran away from their home when she was young – too young – and had never been seen again. Though Nadia used to dream of her, and would leave a light on for her in case she came back in the middle of the night, nothing ever happened.

         It was always just a little girl being disappointed every night and her father picking her back up. But her bracelet – silver and plain – always stayed on her wrist.

         It shouldn't, she knew that, but she never had the heart to abandon it, so she wore it and reminded herself that her father gave it to her and even though it was her mother's, he was the one who gifted it to her. She was honoring and remembering him, not her, so she kept it on forever.

         "Ready to go?" her father gave her a kind smile, and she knew that he was trying to keep it all in because every year he held her tightly before she left for the train, tears in his eyes.