𝟎𝟓 ― Merrily, She Went

five merrily, she went

ACADEMICS WERE A BREEZE TO NADIA. Her father always said she had the mind of her mother – not that she could verify – so all her classes can easily. Charms were a simple flick of the wrist, Transfiguration required strong willpower, Potions a diligent hand. DADA she struggled with, because the examples Professor Campbell brough to class required a certain set of bravery she wasn't quite confident in.

         By no means was Nadia a coward. She feared, but only what was logical, but she was cautious. Decisions had to be thought through, especially when dealing with deadly creatures or magic. One wrong turn and you could be dead. But, though they required diligent thinking, she rarely found time to. DADA wanted quick decisions, reflexes primed to fight back – there was no time to dawdle.

         Nadia Greene knew books. She memorized answers, practiced her spells, and knew how to write an amazing essay. It was a point of pride – Nadia Greene the muggleborn (or half-blood? She didn't really know) knew magic. It was in her blood, infected her brain, and she knew more than any pureblood around. No one could say Nadia didn't deserve to be a witch; she earned her blood.

         A thud brought her gaze from her book to the boy across from her. Regulus was always put together. Noble and proud he stood, but sometimes, when they were away from prying gazes, she had the right to see him fall apart. The younger boy groaned. Nadia raised an eyebrow.

         "You good?"

         Regulus' eyes flickered up. He looked thoroughly unamused. "Fantastic. Can't you tell?"

         If she could count on Regulus to be anything, it would be sarcastic. Dry witted, quick lipped, and sarcastic Regulus Black whom she had known for years. Ever since he came of age and earned a seat at Hogwarts, struggling with his Charms homework. Nadia leaped at the opportunity to tutor someone – Professor Flitwick would surely give her a good recommendation for Prefect or Head Girl in the future – and there she met eleven-year-old Regulus Black.

         He wasn't eleven anymore. Fourth year suited him, the gangly boy growing into his newfound height, cheekbones becoming defined, and stare fitting his face instead of looking too old for a boy.

         "Thought I'd ask," she shrugged, "But, if you don't need any help, I could leave you alone..."

         Her voice trailed off, eyes flitting over to the entrance of the library. Regulus stared at her for a moment before caving. "Fine. I don't understand why Magical Theory has to be so difficult."

         It's not, her mind supplied at first, but she refrained from mentioning that aloud. She knew she was lucky to understand her classes without much studying. Part of it was academic inclination, other part determination to succeed. If she didn't study, she could pass fine. Average, unknown, cruising through school. But Nadia didn't just want to cruise; she wanted to soar.