A New Side of Him

(Alice’s POV)

He took a step closer to me with an arm reaching towards me. I quickly took a step back. “Don’t hurt me.” I involuntarily let slip from my mouth.

He let his arm fall to his side. “You know I would never-“

“Another lie I see. You say you would never hurt me but yet look!” I tore down one of my sleeves. “Look what you did!” His face filled with regret. “You did this to me because of jealousy. I told you what you always knew but were too stubborn to accept. You grabbed my shoulders so hard they now have bruises.” I dropped my head. “I’m scared of you, Erik.”

I suddenly felt his presence closer to me. “Please, just listen to me. “I stayed silent so he took that as a chance to go on. “When I am mad, I cannot control my emotions. I know that is an excuse and I have no right to say that. But please, please, forgive me.”

I looked up at him. I noticed he was a little less than a foot away now. “Show me who you really are then.”

“No. I cannot. Then you will always be afraid of me.”

He quickly turned around and tried to walk forward but I stopped him by grabbing his arm gently. I ignored the fire under my hand as our skins collided. “I will always be afraid of you unless you show me you trust me enough to show me.”

I heard him sigh. “I do not want you to leave me. You are the only person I have.”

I walked around him until I stood in front of him. I looked up into his eyes. “Just trust me.” He closed his eyes. I lift a shivering hand until I touched the coldness of his mask. He didn’t stop me so I kept going. I slowly lifted the mask from his face and gazed at his disfigured face. It was not nearly as bad as the book made it seem. I heard him suck in a breath as I touched my hand to the disfigured side of his face. I traced my hand along his cheekbones and took in everything that he was afraid of.

When I dropped my hand his eyes popped open. I saw his eyes search my face for any sign of fear. “Are you not disgusted by me?”

“Beauty on the outside is nothing but a veil to me. I see the beauty on the inside of you. Something as little as a disfigurement is not something to be afraid of.” I smiled.

Suddenly, his arms enveloped me and I felt my feet leave the ground. He spun in a complete circle before placing me down again. Our laughs filled the room. “So, you aren’t scared of me?”

“Not by your looks. Although the darkness inside of you is still there I know the beauty inside of you will soon overcome that.” I told him truthfully.

His eyes filled with tears of joy. “Thank you, Alice. You are a great friend to me.”

My heart sunk and I felt my smile falter at the sound of him calling me a friend. That meant he did not feel anything but friendship towards me. I quickly placed a fake smile on my face so he doesn’t notice how that affected me.

He placed the mask back on. “Come. Let us start those voice lessons I’ve been promising you.”

Later…

“Now, let us start from the beginning.” His fingers began to dance across the keys as he played the intro to the song. I stood up straight and readied myself.

“Who knows when love begins

Who knows what makes it start

One day it's simply there

Alive inside your heart