Up and Out

“Don’t move.” He whispered. I saw his eyes close and his head dip towards my slowly. My eyes fluttered close and I could hear his breathing pick up. I felt his warm breath on my lips and it took everything in my power to not just finally connect our lips together.

But nothing happened. Instead of finally feeling the warmth of his lips on mine, it was replaced with the cold air. I popped open my eyes. Erik was about two yards away from me now.

"I-I'm terribly sorry. I do not know what came over me." Erik told me. I tried to search his eyes for an answer as to why he would back out at the last second but he put up his shield again so I couldn't read him.

I just shook my head as if to say 'okay' and left to get ready for bed.

Erik's POV

I watched her as she left the room. Frustrated with myself, I walked to my piano and tried to play s simple melody. My fingers kept tumbling on the keys so I slammed my fist onto them.

"Get out of my head." I growled. The look of pain and rejection written on her face kills me. Why would I do such a thing? Christine is my love so why would I try to kiss Alice?

Alice. I pictured her smiling face. Her long red hair running down her back. Her brown and red eyes that leave her emotions open like a book. Her voice. Her angelic voice. I closed my eyes and flashed back to the moment I first heard her sing. I knew instantly that she was better than Christine.

'No! Nobody is better than Christine!' I told myself. "ARG!!!" I screamed out.

Why am I feeling this way?! Am I in love with Alice? Or is my mind just playing tricks on me because Christine denied me and I crave love? I know Alice is in love with me. She seems to know so many things about me. Some things that I don’t even know about myself. She accepts me for who I am. For heavens sake I almost killed her multiple times and I’ve hurt her both physically and mentally and she still forgave me. Christine would never do that for me. She ran from me when she saw what I look like. I need to talk to her.

I quietly walked over to the bedroom door but paused. She was singing. She was singing my song in soprano. I closed my eyes and was captivated by her voice once more.

The day starts
The day ends
Time crawls by

Night steals in pacing the floor
The moments creep
Yet I can't bear to sleep
'Til I hear you sing

And weeks pass
And months pass
Seasons fly

Still you don't walk through the door
And in a haze
I count the silent days
'Til I hear you sing once more

And sometimes at night time
I dream that you are there
But wake holding nothing
But the empty air

I wanted her to continue but she didn’t. I was about to go in but I heard sniffling coming from the room instead.

“Why?” I heard her whisper. “Why doesn’t he love me like I love him?”

I gulped and drew in a breath. I made her cry again. Everything I do seems to hurt her and she still loves me. How? How?? I must make it up to her. Somehow.

Alice’s POV

I stretched my arms above my head and yawned. I looked over to my side expecting to see Erik but he wasn’t there. My heart fell. I guess I made him not even want to be near me.

I took a quick shower and got dressed. I glanced around me once before quietly getting out my notebook.

Well, things aren’t going too well on the ‘Make Erik Fall in Love With Me’ train, so I decided to do something for myself for once. Today I am going upstairs and partake in an opera!