Prologue | Cassandra

EDITED

When my twin brother, Helenus, and I were born, the midwives remarked how blessed I was with my looks.

They spoke of how my eyes were a gift from the Goddess Athena herself; a grey-blue so deep as to almost to seem a dusky violet hue.  Though my eyes were unusual, they were not my only feature that caused me to stand out.  

My skin was a nearly translucent, pearly white, save for the perpetual roses at my cheeks and my pouty lips. Mother used to laughingly tell of how the midwives would trace each of my veins in open fascination.  My wispy fiery locks were remarked upon as an unusual color, a vivid red gold.

My beauty soon proved to be a danger.

Women and girls alike soon grew jealous of the attention I received without having lifting a finger, even my own family.

I would often fearfully toddle around the castle having to peer around the next corner for an angry sibling, though I could never quite understand why.

Prince Hector soon became my protector.  I would waddle along after him, trailing his shadow. I always looked up to him worshipfully.  He would lovingly call me his pretty golden shadow and ruffle my hair, as he talk with the other boys while I clung to his tunic. He was better than any security blanket.

I couldn't have been five but in my mind I knew Hector was strong, dependable and loyal. I already knew he had a strong moral compass and I adored him for that.

When he eventually had to leave to begin training for the Trojan army as was tradition for royal princes, I was inconsolable.  I wept two weeks straight after he had told me. My other siblings must have felt a little bad, if not completely, as the bullying ceased for a small time.

The only way they were able to get me to stop clinging to his form was to have him give me a goblet of wine with a sleeping powder in it.

When I awoke and realized he was gone, I became sullen, withdrawing into myself.

One day months later, I quietly crept from my room. I had apparently devised a half-baked scheme to find Hector and either bring him back or stay with him at the temple of Ares.

That was the day I met my "imaginary" golden friend.   While he would eventually be forgotten by me, he never forgot me.

I tiptoed through the marble palace, pausing at every corner to peer into the mext hall before continuing on.

There would be a feast for our parron Goddess, Athena, later that night.  I had heard Mama discussing what still needed to be done with the head servants when I had woken up that morning.

I had decided that the chaos would be a wonderful cover for my escape right then.  I had managed to trick my servants and slaves by begging that we play hide and seek.

Soon I had managed to dodge my way through clouds of flour and flying knives moving in tandem out to the chef's garden.

Pausing to sniff at some mint, I continued toddling down the hill towards the valley that lay next to the river Scamander.

After what must have been at least half an hour I had finally managed to make my way to a small, wild olive grove by the river.  Panting, I collapsed under the nearest tree as I lay there in the shadows.

"What are you doing there, little one," a deep voice rumbled, startling me from where I lay like a beached starfish.

I struggled back up as fast as possible, eyeing the stranger warily.  Mama and Papa had warned me about strangers, telling me how dangerous they could be to pretty little girls, especially male ones.

I slowly backed into the tree's embrace, embraced by the bluish shadows as I peered ip at the stranger.

His skin was nearly as pale as mine with a strange bluish tinge that brought out his wide eyes.  His large eyes were the same exact shade as the river lazily flowing before me, while his silvery-blond waves seemed to flow much like the river.

The longer I gazed into his eyes, the further I became entranced.  I felt myself slowly crawling towards him until I realized what I was doing and paused, confused.  I plopped down once more, staring at him warily.

He tilted his angular head to the side slightly, eyes slightly narrowed in thought.  After a moment, he crouched down in front of me were he had previously stood.

"I'm Scamander," he said quietly.  I silently watched his every move, gaurded.  "Who might you be?"

I watched him for a few more moments before hesitantly answering.  "I-I'm Cassandra," I whispered unsurely.  "All my friends call me Cassie though."

"Hello Cassandra," he said carefully.  "What are you doing here all on your own," he asked worriedly, brow creased.

"I'm going to visit my brother," I said more confidently, puffing out my little chest proudly.

"Are you now?  All on your own?"  His tone was slightly laced with humor now, though there was still the underlying worry in his tone.

A voice from behind me suddenly piped up.  "Uncle Scamander, there you are!"

I turned around so fast I was impressed I didn't get a crick in my neck, though I was momentarily blinded as my curtain of blood-red curls whipped my face.

Impatiently shoving my hair back over my shoulders, I was met with a boy who seemed to be made of gold and sunshine.

He looked to be my age, though he was a few inches taller.  He had wide, amber eyes framed by thick, copper lashes, set under slightly darker brows

His hair was a fluffy mass of a gold that appeared richer than my Mama's finest gold jewlery while his rich bronze skin seemed to glow.

His eyes flashed to mine as if he had just realized I was there.

"Oh!  And who are you," he asked in mild interest.

Rather than answering, I rushed towards his uncle, hiding behind him as I clutched his tunic in my pudgy little fists.

"I'm Ap - er, Adrian.  I'm Adrian," he repeated more firmly.

I tilted my head to the side as I shyly peeked around Scamander's tense form, brow raised.  "Is it really," I asked.

"Er...yes..?"  He was eyeing me with more interest now.

"You don't seem like much of an Adrian," I said slowly as I eyed him up and down.  "Maybe an Apollo."

"Hey," he cried, fists planted at his hips.  "What's that supposed to mean.

I opened my mouth to respond before a hand clamped on my shoulder.

"Cassandra, there you are!"

"Mama," I cried as I happily raced towards her, having forgotten my mission. 

"Who were you talking to," she asked curiously as she eyed our surroundings.

"Oh!  I was..." but I paused as I realized we were all alone.  Strange.

_______

The story would be retold over the years by my mother, Queen Hecuba, and my eldest brother, Prince Hector in fond amusement on their parts.

That was in times of peace, however.

Peace seemed like a distant memory now. Sometimes it was difficult to tell if peace had ever truly existed.

That was before I realized how dangerous it was to turn your face from a god, for any reason.

That was before he helped fell Troy to make me his and I was erased by history.

My name is Cassandra, Princess of Troy. 

This is my story.

A/N: What does everyone think so far?  What do you think of the main characters, is there anyone that you would like to see more of?  Less of?

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | ADD | FOLLOW | SHARE

STAY SAFE HAVE A GREAT DAY