Chapter 2: Part 1

"Do you think Liam suspects anything?"

Jasper wore a familiar mask of mystery. By now I had given up on figuring him out because unlike the rest of the people in this palace, I couldn't get him to fully submit to me. Unless Jasper told me himself, what his deal was I would never be able to figure it out. His face gave nothing away as we walked away from my brother's room. It was late at night and Jasper was off duty.

"Liam is...he's dealing with some things now so he probably won't miss me if I left." Jasper walked by my side as we headed to my room. It was on the tip of my tongue to ask him what it was that my brother was going through. I suspected it had something to do with his feelings for Dominique and the sheer impossibility of there ever being something between them. Still, with as pressure grew for him to take his rightful place as the King and as Cyrus continued to become increasingly unpopular I knew that my brother had more on his plate than what he could deal with. That was what helped me rationalize my decision to not tell him about the text messages, the very same text messages that Jasper has thoroughly went through.

Liam was my twin and I wanted to share everything with him, especially when it came to Robert. By losing him, we both lost someone who was our rock. In the kind of environment that we lived in, we always needed someone to be in our corner like Robert was. Without him it felt like the only people we could count were each and it got a little lonely. Although recently, a certain someone was trying hard to enter that world of mine, to lend me a shoulder to cry on. He repeatedly tried to tell me that I would never be alone but unfortunately for him, things hadn't gone in his favour. He had one too many strikes against him and it had made it impossible for my heart to let him in.

Famous last words right?

"So did you get a chance to contact your guy?" I asked him

When I had showed him the texts, Jasper told me that he knew someone who would be able to trace the number. He couldn't do it himself without making the Palace security suspicious. I had been plagued by a lack of sleep for the past couple of days in anticipation and today was the day we were supposed to find out.

I closed my doors after Jasper came in and locked the doors behind me. James was always around, he never even left when I specifically told him to but today once I gave him the night off, he didn't protest. It was odd but it worked in my favor so I didn't question it.

"So there's a bit of bad news on that front." Jasper said and raised his palms as though trying to placate me. "Before you get mad, my guys honestly tried."

"You have got to be kidding me!" I flopped on my bed, "You said the man was supposed to be good at his job."

Jasper looked frustrated and had it been a matter of lesser importance I would've felt guilty about going off on him like that. He was helping me on his own, he didn't have to and no one held a gun to his head.

"What happened? Why couldn't he trace the number?"

"It traced back to a private number, he's stumped. He can't even hack into the system because the original owner of the number has been dead for ages. Whoever it is that that's texting you know what they're doing."

"So that's it? We don't know who this person is who thinks that I don't know enough about Robert's death? No one outside of my family is aware of what happened to my brother. How can an absolute stranger come out of nowhere and possess so much knowledge about the incident? Jasper, we have to find out who this is."

"Len," He strode towards me and cupped my cheek. I leaned into his warmth and closed my eyes.

"Whoever's texting you might be good but guess what? I'm better. I will find him and I will get you the answers you want. Okay?"

I believed him, I knew he could do it.

"Okay Jasper from Nevada, okay."