Chapter 4: Part 1

"You're jumpy today." Liam noted.

He didn't need to have the deductive skills of Sherlock Holmes to make that assessment. My hands shook as I poured myself tea and I had nearly spilled most of it onto myself when a noise came from outside. I had to admit that I was on edge and that every pair of footsteps sounded like they belonged to Robert. Any minute now, he would walk into the room and for the life of me I couldn't imagine how Mum and Liam would react. I knew that happiness would override any other emotions but once that wore off, once the reality was cemented that Robert was still alive, then we would be forced to deal with the fallout.

Namely, Cyrus.

"Good God, Eleanor you look quite haggard. Haven't been sleeping very well?" My uncle, and a constant pain to my existence drawled from his seat at the head of the table. The family breakfast was his idea, another trick to get us all to fall in line but recently he had started to reek of desperation. As his health got worse, so did his dictatorial ways and the hold he wanted to have over the rest of us. The palace felt like one giant shackle when he was around, always watching and always seeking control. He had eyes and ears everywhere, ready to attack anyone that posed a challenge to his kingship. It was a miracle and perhaps due to Jasper's stealth that we had managed to remain unnoticed.

Boy, was there a surprise coming his way. It wasn't at all a question, once Robert came back Cyrus would be dethroned in an instant. And it was that thought that comforted me as he commented on the dark circles beneath my eyes and how they made me look fifty years old. My cousins cackled as he continued making digs at the rest of my family and Mum and Liam took it with a pinch of salt. I knew that they were planning, plotting to take care of Cyrus but really, with what the future had in store for all of us, no one's plans were going to cut it.

"Chin up Len, we won't have to deal with him for much longer." Mum told me and went back to typing away at her phone with a vigor. All her plans depended on letting the public know that me and Liam were indeed King Simon's legitimate children and for that, she needed his DNA. I had only very recently come to know, through my trust bodyguard, James Hill, that all was not right with Mum's plans. If rumors were to be believed, then it was true that Dad's body had been moved, just so that Mum wouldn't be able to use his DNA. My bedroom had taken quite the bashing once I had found out because it seemed as though my father wouldn't be able to find peace, even in death. I glared at Cyrus and chopped my apple with a lot more force than necessary. Everything that was about to happen? Cyrus deserved it all.

***

Once the family breakfast from hell was over, Liam cornered me and behind him I saw Jasper lingering with worry in his eyes. He had suggested that I confide in my twin, who better to understand the situation right? But he didn't realize the deep-rooted fear in me, the one that's caused by having lost both, Robert and Dad in such a short time has me wanting to protect Liam. Even though Robert was back, I couldn't make myself drag Liam into the mess until he didn't have a choice left.

But Liam is smart, and astute. He had noticed how on edge I had been for the past couple of weeks. Had noticed how often I would go missing. He never asked me directly but he knew I'd eventually seek him out, like I always did when I had a problem and was hiding it from him. But this time, I had lasted for longer than either of us was expecting and I realized that he was beginning to get frustrated.

"A word please, Len?" Liam took a hold of my arm and guided me towards his room and I reluctantly followed.

"You do realize that I have a place to be, don't you?" I pretended to be annoyed but inside I was crumbling, not sure if I'd be able to lie to his face if Liam asked me outright what it was that was going on.

"I'd highly appreciate it, if you could spare five minutes of your time for me." He said with mock politeness and closed the door behind him. I caught one last glance from Jasper and steeled myself.

"Don't be like that. I've just had a lot going on."

"Look, if you're in any kind of trouble then tell me. I can help you Len."

I huffed, "Why do you and Mum always assume that I'm up to something or that I can't take care of myself? There's no trouble, I'm okay."

"But you're not." He stressed, "I've seen how jumpy you are, how any kind of noise scares the heck out of you. You're always looking over your shoulder and half the time you've got a haunted look on your face, like you've seen a ghost. If you're scared, if someone's bothering you, then I can get rid of them."

It was on the tip of my tongue to tell him not to be Robert and that I knew his own life was as big of a mess as mine was but I held back. The guilt swarmed me and I nearly did. I nearly told about all that had happened in the last few weeks. Maybe he could be of even more help to Robert than Jasper, maybe the two of them could work together to track down every last person in the palace who posed a threat to our family.

I opened my mouth and heard a scream instead.

But it wasn't me.

Three loud knocks sounded on Liam's door and then Jasper burst in.

"Your Highness," He seemed out of breath, "I think it's time you came outside."

FML, Robert had officially decided to come back.