Chapter 5: Part 1

There was a visible shift in the mood in the palace once Robert returned. It was as if someone had lifted a veil of doom and gloom that had persisted over us for so long and once that was gone, we could all breathe again. Yes, nothing could ever take away the utter devastation that Dad's death had left behind and nothing could ever fill that void. But having Robert back felt like a bit of a miracle. Yes, he'd probably had to go through hell to come back to us but now that he was, it felt like some semblance of normalcy had returned with him.

Starting with Liam, who looked happier than I had seen him in ages.

I found him whistling as he walked towards his car, Jasper close behind him. He looked like he was ready for wild night out whereas I had been pacing in the gardens, just to get rid of the recent anxiety I had started to feel.

"Going somewhere?"

"Yes, finally." He grinned, "Now that I don't have the paparazzi watching my every move, I mean they're still watching but they're not watching the future King of England, I have a feeling I can get away with a lot more." He winked

"Like the good old times then huh?"

I didn't know why I stopped myself from going with him because I could definitely have used a night out but that too was a recent phenomenon, the fact that I wanted nothing to do with the club scene. My idea of a good time was staying in and that made me worry about my own sanity.

"You want to join us Your Highness?" Jasper asked, looking hopeful but I found myself shaking my head before he completed his sentence. As always, I was just not in the mood.

"Everything okay Len? You seem a little...down."

I shrugged, unsure of the emotion welling up inside of me. I couldn't explain to him what it was that I was feeling because it wouldn't make sense. I was glad enough that Liam hadn't kept a grudge about me hiding Robert's secret for so long and not confiding in him. He had been so understanding and supportive, not just of me but of Robert as well and as I sunk into this weird mood of mine, it was he who was making sure that our elder brother could once again settle back into life as a royal.

But I wasn't sure how that was going.

"I'm overwhelmed I guess." I hated that my voice wobbled and that Jasper picked up on it.

"Everything happened so suddenly, I guess I just haven't had the time to let it all sink in. Robert...he's going to be crowned king next week." I wrapped my arms around myself, "It feels like we've just gotten him back and now he's going to belong to the world."

I was terrified that he'd get taken away, just like Dad.

Liam moved towards me and wrapped me in a hug and I hated how easily I had let my emotions show, especially given that Liam was now finally feeling a sense of freedom.

"You want me to stay? We can have movie nigh, have the cook make that chocolate cake you love?"

"That sounds great but I think you better leave or I think you might start developing a case of cabin fever."

He chuckled, "It's not that bad."

"Oh but it is. Frost, make sure my brother doesn't overdo it with the excitement. We wouldn't want a scandal on our hands now would we?"

He pulled away and behind him I saw Jasper looking at me with concerned eyes. Yeah, he wasn't going to let this go anytime soon.