Chapter 4: Part 4

Robert had been back in the palace for a day now and what a day it had been. The entire staff was facing a similar conundrum. Who was the king, Cyrus or Robert? The former refused to accept that anything had changed, clinging to his throne as if he'd take it to the grave. My brother for the most part hadn't made any outright claims to take Cyrus' place but everyone knew it was coming. It was Robert's destiny to be the King of England, he deserved to be on that throne.

Now, it was just a waiting game.

Unintentionally I walked into a rather ugly spat between Mum and Cyrus and I realized that it was all coming to a head.

"What proof do you have that Robert is even Simon's son? You so easily confessed that Liam and Eleanor were illegitimate. Who is to say that Robert isn't? Everyone in Britain would believe me when I tell them that Robert isn't the legitimate heir."

"I would watch my mouth if I were you Cyrus, you're starting to sound like a man who truly is out of options."

He scoffed, "You're waiting for me to drop dead aren't you Helena? Well, guess what? I may die but your children will never ascend to the throne, I've made sure of that."

Faster than I saw him coming, Robert flew into the room and had Cyrus backed into a corner. The guards didn't dare stop him, neither did the rest of us. Without even touching a hair on his body, Robert had Cyrus trembling in fear.

"Don't ever threaten my family. Do we have an understanding?"

Cyrus gritted his teeth and held his ground, remaining silent.

"And the part about us never ascending to the throne? Guess what Cyrus, there's nothing you can do about it. You and I both know your days are numbered so why don't you just give up the act."

"They'll never let you be king, no matter how many times you come back from the dead." Cyrus smiled, a disgusting, cold and devious smile. "No one will believe Helena once I spread the news that you aren't Simon's biological son."

"We both know what'll happen once we take the DNA test, don't you?" Robert's face was grim, his jaw locked and hands fisted as though he was barely holding himself back from pummeling Cyrus.

"If my dear nephew, only if you get to take the test."

"I was right," Jasper waltzed into the room, followed closely by Liam. "He was the one who moved King Simon's body."

"Ridiculous! I will not have such accusations thrown at me. Guards, remove this man. He can't be allowed to talk to the King of England with such insolence."

The guards moved but stopped at once when signaled by Robert. He closed in on Cyrus even more and Liam followed.

"You don't want to play this game with us Cyrus. Admit it, you're outnumbered. Tell us where our father's body is and I'll let you leave with your dignity attached."

"And if you don't," Mum added, "we'll have you dragged through the mud and you'll never be able to show your face in public 'til your dying day. At least this way you'll be remembered as the terminally ill, tragic king who left the throne to his nephew as he was on his death bed. It's either that, or be seen as the traitor who betrayed the king. You'll ruin what little legacy you have left."

"You leave now and we'll celebrate you, remember the good that you've done in your time here. We've already made arrangements for you at the best hospital in the city. You will spend your time there, there's also a flat for you in town if you wish to use, with complete security. You leave the palace today, Cyrus, and don't look back. Concentrate on your treatment." This came from Liam.

Cyrus looked like a scared animal, crowed by a pack of hyenas, a prey about to be devoured by its predators. I lurked in the shadows but felt myself overcome with a sense of relief. He couldn't survive this, he wouldn't.

"It's going to happen Len, Cyrus is going away." I hadn't noticed him but Jasper had somehow ended up next to him. He dropped his hand next to mine and entwined our fingers. I didn't let him go.

"Fine...fine I'll tell you. Now get away from me, you're making it hard for me to breathe with all the contempt in the air."

Ah Cyrus, always one to have the last word.