10. Evans

E V A N S

I couldn't sleep the whole night.

    It wasn't because our room just so happened to be beside Kayden and Sienna's, and no matter how hard we tried, we couldn't drown our their loud moans and pants with our pillows. Alright, I guess it was part of the reason why neither I nor Brent could fall asleep.

But I was particularly haunted by my thoughts the entire night—thoughts of my parents, of their hardened prejudice against us and their unwillingness to let us be part of their lives.

    Usually, I don't let that kind of stuff bother me. But I guess I just wanted this year to be different. It's been two years already. I really wished they'd let it go. Don't get me wrong, I love spending Christmas with my friends. But I knew that it would be a whole lot better if I could celebrate it with my parents too.

    By the time I manage to doze off, Brent nudges me awake and tells me that it's time for breakfast. The smell of pancakes diffuses into the air and creeps into our room as Brent opens the door for me. When we reach the end of the stairs, I realize that we're the last couple to arrive.

    Daniel and Jax are at the stove with their ridiculous pink aprons flipping and serving pancakes. Simon and Cara are brewing coffee whereas Alex and Sienna are busy distributing drinks to everyone. Meanwhile, in the living room, Kayden's perched on the sofa, waiting for food to be served while keeping an eye on Clarissa and Eden, who seem to be playing with some of the toys she got as gifts yesterday night.

    "Hey, everyone," Brent says, sliding his warm hand into mine as he drags me towards the kitchen counter. "Need any help?"

    "Nah, we're almost done here," Daniel says as he flips another pancake in the air. He moves his pan over the stove a couple more times before dropping the pancake into an empty plate.

    "Here," says Alex as she takes the plate and gives it to me. "Syrup and butter are over there."

    "Thanks." Taking a seat beside Sienna, who appears to have trouble keeping her eyes open.

    "Long night, huh?" I nudge her, winking. She groans, resting her head on both of her arms.

    "You heard?" She asks me.

    "Oh, I think everyone heard it," Blaire comes sauntering in, grabbing the milk carton and pouring the liquid into her glass. She casts a knowing grin towards Sienna. "'Oh, Kayden. Yes, that's it. Right there—oh god—oh—oh—oh—"'

    "Oh come on. Give me a break. You guys—" Sienna glares, gesturing to both Jax and Blaire. "Aren't any better." She mimics Blaire. "'Jackson, fuck yes! Oh god, yes, just like that, don't stop, don't stop—don't ever stop!"

    Blaire looks away swiftly, but not before I catch the intense blush in her cheeks.

    "Sex fiends," Cara says, rolling her eyes. "All of you."

    "What are you guys on about now?" Kayden says as he appears from behind us, clutching Clarissa in his arms.

    "Just the weather," Sienna says, beaming as she gets out from her chair to kiss her boyfriend quickly on the lips. Her head dips down as she smiles at her daughter. "How's my little Riss Riss doing today?"

    Clarissa smiles back at her mom, her arms extending towards her. Sienna wriggles her eyebrows at Kayden, as if saying hah, she wants me! Not you! and takes Clarissa from him. A frown lines Kayden's lips.

    "So, how are you, Evans? You've been a tad bit quieter than usual. Not so very typical of Sexy Santa to be like this," Cara says, sliding into the seat opposite from mine. She links her hands together, propping her elbows on the kitchen counter. "You alright?"