Chapter 1: Nothingness

REVISED: 11th Feb 2024

1. Nothingness

-;-

According to legend, people believe that an unbreakable and invisible red string connects two individuals from the moment they are born. Although the string may become tangled or stretched, it will never break, as it symbolizes the eternal bond between two souls. This mysterious connection seems to transcend time and space, linking those who are meant to be together, no matter what life may throw their way...

Russia took a deep breath and closed the book about the East Asian mythology that he had received from his ally for his 26th birthday. He decided not to finish it, since the concept of "destiny" seemed nonsensical to him. Alone in his shabby three-story contemporary residence, he suddenly realized that he hadn't uttered a word to anyone all day long.

He placed the book on the nightstand and noticed an old photograph in a thick wooden frame. The photo showed two people standing under a wedding arch facing each other. The woman was stunningly beautiful - tall with long black hair styled in two large braids and wore a long white dress that matched her ivory skin. She was laughing, and her emerald eyes were fixed on the man's lips.

In contrast, the man towered over her, his strong hands placed delicately on her waist, and his captivating bluish-violet eyes never wavering from her gaze. He smiled, though his smile paled in comparison to the sheer joy radiating from her.

Georgia and her partner had been in a relationship for a significant period. However, despite their commitment to each other, their marriage eventually fell apart. One of the main reasons behind their split was their differing perspectives on the concept of conquest. Georgia struggled to understand her partner's ideas of conquering other nations, and over time, this discrepancy became too much for her to bear. Eventually, she made the difficult decision to separate from him and distance herself from the relationship.

Russia still remembers how his ex-wife told him, with tears in her eyes, "I can't believe that I loved an insensitive man like you!" The bitter memory made him reflect on every person he had ever known, from his ex-wife to his allies, acquaintances, and siblings. He concluded that no one cared about him at all. His ex-wife didn't love him anymore, his allies were only after his protection, his acquaintances found him too frightening to befriend, and his siblings couldn't stand him. He felt as though he was destined to be alone, with the nothingness surrounding him. Glancing at the East Asian book and his old wedding photograph, the thought of "twin souls" made him feel sick.

Despite everything that has happened between them, it's strange that he has never tried to destroy or burn the photograph. It makes him wonder if he still harbors feelings for Georgia. Every time he looks at it, he can't help but feel a sense of admiration. It's as if the photograph is a time capsule that has captured a moment only shared between the two of them.

After putting their wedding photo back on the nightstand, he left the bedroom and walked to the kitchen. There, he poured himself a glass of vodka. Drinking was his only means of escaping from the endless loneliness that plagued him. The bitter taste of the liquid numbed his pain.

Ring, ring

The silence in the hallway was shattered by the ringing of the telephone. Irritated, he rushed to answer it. As soon as he put it to his ear, he recognized the voice on the other end...

"Ivan, why did you skip the previous meeting in Belgium?" asked Wang Yao, the human form of China. He was the same ally who had given him the book he had been reading earlier. "Everyone was waiting for your decision to join the European Union, but it turns out you're still uninterested, hmmm?" he added. Russia could picture him smirking through the phone.

"Alliance is a big decision to make," he replied. "I don't want to hear another sugar-coated word."

"Would you be interested in meeting our new ally?" China asked. "I have an Asian neighbor who would love to discuss her grievances with the USA."

He suddenly thought to himself, 'Oh, so it's a woman?', and Russia was a little impressed by her bravery.

"Who is it anyway?" Russia demanded to know. Truth be told, he wasn't keen on forming a new alliance, but he firmly believed in an ancient proverb that stated, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." Therefore, gaining a new partner who shared the same hatred would not be a bad idea after all.

"It would be better to meet her in person!" China laughed. "She's friendly and courteous and..."

"Okay, I'll let you know when I'm free," he responded, interrupting China mid-sentence as he considered his tasks for the day. "I have some urgent matters to deal with at the moment, but I will call you back as soon as possible," Russia answered before ending the call abruptly, slamming the phone back into its cradle.

As he sighed, he realized that his country was facing several issues that needed immediate attention within the month. Taking a deep breath, he emptied his glass of vodka and thought to himself, "There's no time to waste." Ivan Braginsky, also known as Russia, is the largest country in the world, and there are more important matters to focus on than the fleeting emotion of love.

End of Chapter

Author's Note: Hello everyone, this is my first Hetalia fanfic, and Russia happens to be one of my favorite countries. In case you're curious about why Georgia (the country) was portrayed as his ex-wife, it's because it was a part of Russia until it gained independence after the collapse of the Soviet Union. I hope you enjoy reading my fanfic. English is not my first language, so any constructive criticism is welcome. I would also appreciate any help from a beta reader.

UPDATE: – 11th February 2024 – As part of my Lunar New Year's resolutions, I have decided to commit to writing on weekends instead of spending all my free time playing games and browsing online shopping sites as a means of stress relief. I wrote this story when I was still an architecture student seven years ago, but my life has changed a lot since then; I became an apprentice, took my licensure exam, and started working in the stressful world of the construction industry. I even adopted a dog, got a boyfriend, and lost some friends as well. Recently, I looked back and remembered my former self - the girl who loved art and writing - and realized that even as time passed, I should never forget who I used to be. So, whenever I'm free, I will try my best to catch up on this story. I spent today revising the first four chapters!

I reread the entire storyline as a 27-year-old woman and realized that my story was so childish back then. But I wrote this when I was in my late teens and I was a student back then! ˶ᵔᗜ ᵔ˶