Chapter 5: Attachment

REVISED: 18th Feb 2024

5. Attachment

-;-

Manila, Philippines

It has been three weeks since Maria de la Cruz departed from Saint Petersburg, the beautiful winter wonderland that left her in awe. Her departure marked the end of a historic visit that had several Filipinos divided in their opinions. While some were not impressed by the new alliance she formed, others believed that it was a brilliant decision.

Those who supported her decision argued that America's position as a leading global power is already declining, and China's rise to world dominance is inevitable. They saw the alliance as a strategic move to ensure that the Philippines aligns itself with a more influential nation, thereby securing its future.

On the other hand, those who criticized her decision saw it as a betrayal of the Philippines' long-standing relationship with America. They believed that the alliance with China could bring more harm than good, especially given China's reputation for human rights abuses and territorial disputes in the South China Sea.

Despite these differing opinions, one thing is clear- Maria de la Cruz's decision to form a new alliance has sparked a heated debate in the Philippines, and the repercussions of this decision are yet to be fully understood.

Maria is currently pursuing a degree in Architecture at the University of Santo Tomas, which happens to be the oldest existing university in Asia. This Catholic school was built during the Spanish Empire's rule over the Philippines, which happened to be the time of her father. Maria is proud to be part of such a prestigious academy, and like many other Asian countries, she has ambitions to make a difference in the Asian region. If Ivan is a great example of a military man, Maria aspires to become a great architect someday.

She had a strong desire to construct numerous stunning buildings and transform the present urban landscape in the Philippines. Art had been her passion since childhood, and she fondly recalled Christmas Eve when Alfred had surprised her with a large art kit. Over the years, art has brought her immense joy and happiness.

These days, she was suffering from mild depression and was usually seen alone. Most of her classmates avoid her, but some were still polite when they encountered her in the hallway. Yet, behind the smiles, Maria could see the disappointment in their eyes. It hurts, honestly, how her people cannot understand the sacrifice she made for their beloved freedom.

The sadness was a strange feeling for her at the beginning. It made her feel very weird, very different. Until she learned to embrace it and began to like it to some sort of degree.

It was already ten in the evening, and today, she did not attend her classes. She was in pain; it was her first day of a monthly period. She only spent the entire day in bed and felt guilty. She was worried about the unfinished drawings that must be submitted next week.

Beep!

Her smartphone rings, signifying a text message. Tapping the screen open, she found a single text from...

From: Ivan Braginsky (Иван Брагинский)

+7-922-555-1234

Hi.

Strange. Ivan never texted her since they exchanged contact numbers. Looking back, Maria remembered the last time he saw the charming Russian man. It was at the airport where he gave a gesture of farewell.

It felt like a long time since she saw him and like the word 'Goodbye,' the word 'Hi' sounds emotionless too.

Quickly, Maria just replied, "Hi.".