Chapter 3: Unexpected Meeting

REVISED: 11th Feb 2024

3. Unexpected Meeting

-;-

New York, United States of America

"I can't believe this!" cried by a man as he slammed the newspaper on the mahogany table. America was outraged as he read that China offered an alliance with his sister - his innocent little sister. She did not seem to realize how this nation was so manipulative, like its ally, Russia. As he read, it mentioned that she had informally broken the alliance with the United States of America... and he could not let the fact sink in.

Alfred F. Jones, the human name of America, is prominent for saving people as long as he can, whether or not they matter to him. The idea of peace always fascinated him, and most nations worshipped his generous deeds.

But was he excellent enough knowing that his sister was rebelling against him?

Well, he admitted that it was his fault; he should have never made her feel like a bird locked inside a cage. Day by day, she was growing up, and so was her desire for freedom. However, Alfred would not allow her to be on her own yet. She cannot still be a fully independent nation.

He looked at the skyscrapers outside through the massive curtain wall as he recalled the last time he spent with her. It happened a month ago, but the memory is still evident. He was dressed in black pants and a thin cotton shirt while a soft caress of wind brushed against his skin. He was alone with her, watching the waves reach the shore as the sun disappeared below the horizon.

Alfred observed the way she traced her fingers in the sand and how her eyes stared blankly at the ground. She had never been so quiet, and he knew something was troubling her. With a heavy sigh, he touched her shoulder...

"What's the matter? Ate a fish with a seed of sadness?" He joked, but she did not respond. "Oh, fish doesn't have seeds, what a crappy joke I made."

"Brother..." She whispered as her hands were fidgeting the hem of her skirt. The wind caressed her dark hair, hiding half of her face from his view. "I want freedom..."

"What do you mean?" He answered, confused. "You're already free."

"You always question my decisions as if you don't trust me!" she cried. "I also don't understand why you would prevent me from being acquaintances with your enemies! I'm already tired of your reasons that they are very dangerous, but who often tries to approach them? YOU!"

What she was saying was reasonable; Alfred knew that he was so overprotective to the point that he was controlling her.

"Maria, you know that I always ensure your safety. Stop being selfish and try to understand me." He said. After all, it was the real reason.

This time she stood up, crying, "Wow, you dare to call me selfish? Who travels around the world trying to save everyone like a hero?" she paused and pointed her finger at him. "And after saving them, he will force them to pay the debt of gratitude?"

What the hell?

"This is a misunderstanding! I have never treated anyone like that!" he yelled and saw how she trembled. Sighs, he never meant to scare her.

Therefore, he put both his hands on her shoulders and looked straight into her eyes, "Maria, just stop this childish behavior, and go back inside."

"No!" she pushed him away, "From now on, you will never command me again!"

This time, his patience snapped.

"Then fine, be it! I should have never kept you under my wing and went to this chaotic place and..."