Chapter 8: The Past

REVISED: 30 May 2020

8. The Past

-;-

Hampton Court Palace, Greater London, United Kingdom

When Alfred held her close to him, Tamar has completely lost herself in his kiss. It felt magical and everything around her begun to blur. The noise from the party, the gaze of the world around her... it was all gone. All that mattered now was the taste of his lips that was mixed of desperation and love

On and on he passionately kissed her, his tongue twining with hers, long and deep. Then drawing back, his mouth almost flirting with hers, making her want him until he stopped.

Fluttering her eyes open, he whispered, "I love you."

Blushing, Tamar felt all the eyes that were staring at hers. It elated her at the thought of Alfred being proud of their relationship, but she also felt a little shy about being kissed in the public. As she looked back at the crowd, Tamar saw Yekaterina and Feliks who were whispering something to each other. Taking a deep breath, she could now hear the new gossip of the world.

"Why did you..." Tamar was about to ask Alfred, but her words were cut off when the host of the World Conference spoke.

"How surprising!" Arthur commented as he looked at the couple happily. "We didn't see it coming! It's not Valentine's yet, but we can already feel the power of love! Congratulations!" he exclaimed and everyone laughed.

Alfred, whose hand was still holding hers, gave her a flirtatious wink. Blood rose to her cheeks and Tamar couldn't help to wonder, 'why is he doing this?'

"Ahem!", Arthur, the host, has cleared his throat. "Mr. Alfred, going back to the migration of American business sectors from Manila to Tbilisi, I'd like to ask how concern you are for the socioeconomic effect it will bring to the Philippines. Does this sudden decision of yours has a connection with your new relationship with Georgia?"

Smiling, Alfred answered, "My dear sister has always wanted to be an independent nation and I don't think she will break our alliance without a backup plan. In fact, I moved the first batch of my business establishments a month ago!" He paused. "And to answer your second question, a relationship is too shallow as a basis of a decision. Georgia is a transcontinental country between Europe and Asia and that strategic position can help my business sector to expand into new territories, which will support her economy in return. It is a win-win situation!"

Arthur turned to Tamar with a curious expression, "And Ms. Tamar, how did you even react when he proposed the decision to you?"

React? Isn't it even obvious how surprised she is right now? Alfred had never even said a word about this decision since the beginning of their relationship! Tamar knew fully that the Philippine economy relies heavily on the Business Process Outsourcing industry and most of those call center companies are American owned! Poor Maria, she thought. The Philippines will face a rapid growth of unemployment once Alfred has finished moving everything to Tbilisi.

Thinking, Tamar cannot help not to wonder, why? Why Alfred is trying to make Maria suffer? He always told her he always loves his sister.

Looking at his boyfriend who was also looking at her, she already knew the answer... Alfred was trying to get Maria back in this way because he knows that neither Ivan nor Yao would help her at the end of the day!

"It surprised me!" Tamar chuckled as she turned to the host, it was the truth anyway. "I have no other words to say but to thank Alfred for a wonderful opportunity. We're a team that's not only bound by friendship but love - and together, we can achieve greater things!"