Chapter 2

I pulled my feet through the snow-covered path, pretending I didn't know where the girl was, as I looked under trees.

I checked the sky, knowing there wouldn't be enough time for the snow to cover my tracks. It would take a blizzard for them to call off the search. The human men from the village were starting to pick up their pace; she was maybe a mile away. It would be hard to miss her on the trail.

"Eleonore!"

"Elli!" My own voice called.

Eleonore's father was starting to walk faster than the rest of our group. When we met at the start of the trail, he seemed to hold himself together well. The longer we walked, the faster the mask he wore to hide his emotions started to slip. I jogged up to the short man. I had to slow him down somehow.

His breath was labored; his steps heavy as he dragged himself forward.

"Herr Becker," I dropped my hand on his shoulder.

His pig-like face made me wonder how he could be the father to the once beautiful Eleonore.

I smiled.

"Felken," he muttered.

"Herr Becker, allow me to scout ahead. My legs are younger and faster. I'm sure Elli is fine," I insisted, forcing a smile. Becker returned the gesture, the worry in his eyes almost shattering my act.

Becker had more grey hair than I remembered. As a child, my elder cousin Henri and I used to sneak into his shop and steal fresh buns. He always caught us and gave us a good scolding, but was pleased that we loved the fresh bread so much.

"Ja, Felken. I was disappointed Bürgermeister Adalwulf could not be here, but I am glad he sent you in his stead. Go," he shooed me away with his hands.

It was true Uncle was mayor of this small village, just like my father had been. Uncle's duty was to help the villagers, but even if I hadn't been the one to kill the girl, he would have sent me anyway. Trying to manage being King of Werewolves and caring for the villagers kept him rather busy. He constantly had meetings and subjects to attend to.

I broke into a brisk jog. I bit my lip, wondering how I could hide all evidence of my presence there earlier. The snow wasn't falling fast enough. My human footprints covered the ground around the corpse, including when I left. If they followed those tracks, they would find the cabin; and it wouldn't take long to put the pieces together. Just as I'd walked out of the forest to go home, the blacksmith had stopped me. He seemed to believe I was out for a walk. But was all the blood really off my face?

The group disappeared out of sight as I turned the bend in the trail. I picked up my pace; each breath burned my lungs. I slowed my pace, eventually halting. I could taste the blood in the air.

I squinted and saw a red blob that was Eleonore just up the trail. Taking a deep breath, I started my run once again. Knowing my followers would be looking at my tracks, I paced myself until I was closer to sprint. I didn't want to seem too hurried or appear to know where I would find her.

Eleonore's body came into view faster than I had hoped; my guilt returned in a wave. My pace slowed, faltering once again. Her position had changed.

Eleonore's mangled arms were folded over what was left of her chest; a small bundle of flowers in her grasp. Crocuses. The tiny blue flowers weren't in season, and wouldn't be for another month or two. My heart hammered against my chest. I looked around the corpse. My eyes narrowed.

All of my tracks—both human and wolf—had disappeared. Fresh snow blanketed over the indents, hiding the fact they had ever been there.

It was impossible. The snow required to fill those tracks would have taken hours to fill.