Chapter 10

The village appeared through the trees. Each step I took was heavier than the last. The biggest house at the far side was my goal, but returning home was questionable. If my jaw was to be broken again, I decided I would live in the woods with Rue.
The Faerie Queen’s party was tonight. I needed fresh clothes, even if all I wore were rags. My hands shook thinking of the night. Without realizing, I had come to trust Rue. Trusting one Faerie was different from trusting the whole species. I grew up being told the stories of their tricks and the games they enjoyed playing on humans. Hiding possessions, pulling hair of children, or leaving stones where humans would trip over them were some of the things they liked. The darker things included causing nightmares, tormenting people, and kidnapping them.
I pushed the door open, peeking in. The main hall was empty, but that was expected this early in the morning. Uncle, Aunty, and my cousins would be fast asleep after running through the woods all night. I sniffed for the smell of a roast that would be cooking all day, but there was nothing.
I stepped on the floor at an awkward angle towards the staircase, knowing the places the boards squeaked. I stepped up the side, walking on the unworn sections. To get to the attic, a ladder had to be pulled down, and trying to keep it silent was next to impossible. In most cases it was left down, but with my luck, today it wouldn’t be.
I crept past the first four doors with success. The fifth one was open. Uncle usually snored like a beast, but the room was silent. I poked my head around the door. Aunty was hunched over her bed, her bottom perched in a chair. Uncle lay in the bed, silent. Aunty’s quiet sobs fell on my ears.
“Aunty?” I asked.
My heart started to race. Just what had I missed? Any creature from my world couldn’t catch human diseases or colds. We were immune.
Her head turned towards my voice. Her eyes lit up at the sight of my face, but soon fell to sadness.
“Oh, Felken!” She rushed over and caught me in a hug. “I’ve been worried sick! I’m so sorry about what happened, Felken. Your Uncle did not mean to do such a thing. He was worried more than I was! He decided to cancel the hunt during the change and instead look for you, when, when…”
Her sobs got louder. I returned her hug, letting her face bury itself in my shirt. Her fists bunched my shirt.
“Aunty, please. What happened?”
She looked up, the tears dampening her cheeks. She wiped them clear, only for them to return once again.
“One of the villagers,” she sniffled. “The farmer had reported noises in his barn. It was right before the change! Konrad shooed him away, but he must have put together a hunting party. Oh, your poor uncle! A bullet to his gut. He was trying to protect August, the poor child—” Aunty’s rambling turned into loud crying. She left the room, leaving me and Uncle alone.
Part of me was happy. This man tormented me for years ever since my mother died. Because of him, my stomach was always empty, and I never felt like I belonged with everyone else. But he was still family. I stepped closer to the bed, trying to get a better look at his wounds.
“That woman’s ramblings could wake the dead.”
I froze; my breathing stopped. Uncle’s eyes were closed, but he must’ve smelled me. “Come closer, boy. We have things to discuss.”
I halted at the edge of the bed. Uncle’s side was patched with bandages that had turned red. The wound was wet and fresh. Every time he took a breath, he frowned. He was doing the best to hide his pain, but it was hard to keep the mask on.
“I’m sorry, Uncle, for running away.”
“Shut it, boy,” he coughed. I pretended not to notice the red specks on the back of his hand. “I don’t have much time; even I know that. Shut the door, will you?”
I did as I was told.
“Sit beside me, and open those blasted ears for once.”
I inched closer, my mind racing. Just where was this going? Uncle never uttered so many words to me before this day.
“Henri will become king once I’m gone. Your father was a great king, and you would have been one too. I regret killing my brother each day. I did it for this silly headpiece.
“Henri is the same as me. I kept you weak for a reason, Felken. It wasn’t for my sake, it was for yours. I didn’t want Henri to go through the same regret I did. I kept you weak so he wouldn’t see you as a threat.”
I shook my head. Henri never saw me as a threat; he saw his own father as one.
“That isn’t right. Henri knows I’m weak! He—”
“He’ll stop thinking that soon enough.”
I stopped trying to argue. Henri invited me out with his friends and also kept his mouth shut about my unexplained escape each time. Uncle was telling me to forget about those things and believe his words. Henri was playing me. But how? What would he have to gain by thinking me as a threat? I didn’t want the crown.
“You’ll figure it out at some point. Go, fetch your Aunty. Her cries are getting louder by the minute.”
I nodded and turned to leave. My head drooped towards the floor. I opened the door to face Aunty, but she ignored me and rushed into the room. I hurried to my own room, passing a red-faced August, his eyes red from crying.

I didn’t leave my room. I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling until the sun set and the stars started to shine. The party was tonight, but with my Uncle dying downstairs, my mood was not the best. I didn’t want to go anymore. I thought of mentioning my invitation to Rue, but she was a Faerie. It was a given that she would be there; I had no reason to be.
A tap came from the window. I bolted up; a pair of pink eyes met mine. Rosaline pressed her fingers to the glass. The latch moved and the window opened. A cool breeze rolled in.
“Quite the mess, isn’t it?” I didn’t have to question what she meant. Rosaline thrust a small bag into my arms. I peeked inside; the smell of freshly washed clothes lingered. “You will be changing into that. Your normal clothes reek of dog.”
Her own outfit consisted of trousers and a white blouse. Lore would have been happy to know someone else dressed like her. I pulled out my own pair of pants and a fresh white button-up shirt, followed by a matching brown jacket.
“A tie, too?” I never wore ties; Henri did. I preferred to wear my old clothes to lessen the risk of dirtying my good ones. Not that it mattered. I wasn’t leaving my room.
“Of course! You must look your best. Titania wishes to meet you more than anybody.”
“Thanks, but I’m not going.” I tried returning the bag, but she made no effort to take it. Her eyes narrowed.
“You’re attending this party, even if I must drag you. Do you know the trouble you will cause when I have to explain to my dear friend that her honored guest refused the invitation he received? Queen Titania will not be happy. Your punishment will be severe.”
I sighed, turning so Rosaline couldn’t see my eyes rolling.
“Fine. I’ll stay for an hour or so. You never told me why she wants me there.”
Rosaline turned around so I could change, but I still retreated behind a wall of boxes filled with mostly nothing but junk. I stripped and pulled on the clothes. For once in my life they fit perfectly.
“You’ll find out soon enough. Talking with her will answer all your questions.”
I stepped out from behind the boxes, handing the white-haired demon my tie. “I don’t know how to tie it,” I said.
“That isn’t shocking at all, puppy. You must learn how to; one day these will hang from your neck every day. “
I snorted. “I hope not.”
Rosaline looped the fabric around my neck, twisting the tie and pulling it until it was snug at my neck. I slipped on my jacket, leaving it open.
“Good enough, I suppose,” the demon muttered.
I shrugged and ducked through the window. The shingles curled up at the corners, exposing the wood in some areas. I dug my foot into the roof, testing the grip. My foot didn’t move an inch.
I turned and offered my hand to Rosaline. She dropped her hand in mine, a small smile on her face. “Quite the gentleman.”
I walked to the edge of the roof and looked over it. This height was nothing. Rosaline still held my hand.
“Are you ready to go to Faerieland?” Her smile became wider. “Don’t let go.”
She stepped over the edge. I scrambled and leapt off half a second after her, not wanting to be dragged. A quarter of the way, my vision blurred. The night air became darker and smelt of honey. It was noticeably colder. Our feet landed on the ground. I left Rosaline’s hand, my head spinning. The demons’ ability to teleport always baffled me, but being a part of it was a whole other experience.
Tiny lanterns floated in the trees with no strings in sight, illuminating the cobblestone pathway. The trees around us were thick, blocking all other light from the forest. The moon hung in the sky like a decoration.
Rosaline held out a small bottle of blue liquid.
“Drink this.”
I turned to Rosaline. Her outfit had changed to a floor-length white dress. Lace covered her left shoulder and all down her side, exposing her creamy skin through the gaps. Her white hair was loose and wavy, white roses twisted in.
“What is it?” I asked.
“Speech potion. We can’t have you spouting nothing but German all night, can we?”
I accepted and popped the cork. I drained the sweet drink, my lips puckering at the taste.
“It will last until dawn, if you’re lucky. Feel free to indulge yourself in the pleasures of the Fae food and drink. Usually, should you consume any, your soul will belong to Titania alone. However, you made a deal with me, and I need a yes from you, so she made an exception.” My eyes narrowed thinking of the promise I had made to her, but I nodded regardless.
Rosaline started down the path. I followed a few steps behind. The lanterns started appearing more frequently. The burning candles glowed brighter. My ears perked at the faint music and laugher. I found myself smiling; my pace quickened past Rosaline. She grabbed my arm, hauling me back.
“Do not wander too far ahead, puppy. You are to meet the Queen first.”
I felt like a dog on a leash. I wanted to run ahead to the party, but Rosaline refused to release my shirt no matter how hard I pulled, even after five minutes.
The trees opened up to reveal the party. Hundreds of people gathered in the area, not one of them the same as the next. I spotted green hair, blue hair, and hair in every other color of the rainbow, decorated in twigs and flowers. A woman danced by with a large bird’s nest atop her head. A woman with curly brown hair and dark skin sporting deer antlers stopped. Her large lips stretched into a smile and she offered a small wave to the people crowded around before moving along.
My clothes were neat and tidy, but everyone else’s consisted of green moss, silks, grass, leaves, flowers, furs, or nothing at all. These people were a part of the forest. I was an outsider.
Eyes of the Faeries fell upon Rosaline. The ones who noticed her bowed their heads, showing their respect towards the head of the Lovelock family. Her silky dress trailed on the ground, but she took no notice.
I was led to a long table covered in a black tablecloth. Plates had been scattered across it, littering the area in no order. A chair grew behind the table. Twice as tall as me, it was made of branches and twigs that seemed to grow from the ground, all spun together to make an elegant seat. The woman who sat in it stared at me.
Dressed in all black, her black hair was twisted to the top of her head. Black lace decorated her hairline and neck and crawled down her arms. Her eyes were ruby red, matching the necklace around her neck.
A woman’s screams echoed through the party. I spun, spotting the middle-aged human woman between two men dressed in white armor. They pulled her by her arms and dropped her at the feet of Queen Titania. The human took one look up at the Faerie and dropped to her knees, bowing.
“Anamot, what are the crimes against this human?” Titania addressed the knight on the right.
Anamot straightened himself before bowing to his queen. He pulled a paper from his boot.
“Yes, Your Majesty. This human woman is charged with the crime of picking roses from the royal garden.”
Titania tapped her chin, her eyes lingering on the woman.
“Why, are you referring to the roses that were gifted to me by Rosaline Lovelock?”
I shot a glance to Rosaline. Her arms were crossed, and she seemed very pleased with herself and the sight before her eyes.
“Yes, ma’am.”
Titania let out a dramatic sigh. She gestured for Anamot to approach her throne, then held out her hands and gave him something I could not see. He moved to the human woman, standing behind her.
“Human, you have disgraced me. You have interrupted my party. You have picked my prized roses. Your punishment is death.”
I stepped forward but Rosaline put a hand across my chest. In the light of the lanterns, I caught the glint of what looked like a string in Anamot’s hand—a spider’s web. Anamot draped the thread around the woman’s neck. Her cries grew louder, but the Faeries ignored her pleas for mercy. Anamot pulled his hands apart, tightening the loop around her neck. A line of red appeared on her skin.
“Wait.”
Anamot’s hands froze at his queen’s command.
“It would be a waste of a meal if we killed her instantly. Rosaline?” Titania looked to her friend for the first time.
Rosaline did not bow to Queen Titania.
“It has been quite a while, Tita.”
The queen stood from her chair and walked towards Rosaline’s outstretched arms. The two leaders hugged for a moment before stepping back. The Faerie Queen smiled, her black lips parting to reveal pearl white teeth.
“It truly has been, my dear friend. Would you accept her soul as my gift to you? I could not gather any for you tonight.”
Rosaline nodded and moved to stand in front of the woman. She touched the woman’s chin, telling her to stand. The woman did; her cries stopped for the moment.
Rosaline smiled sweetly before plunging her hand into the human’s chest. There was no blood. It was as if Rosaline had stuck her hand through water. She withdrew her arm, pulling a small glass-like orb from the woman’s chest. The color of garnet, it gave off a faint glow.
I had never seen a soul before. It was both beautiful and terrifying to witness how easy it was for a demon to extract one. I held my breath, watching.
The woman fell, lifeless. Without her soul, her body could no longer survive.
Rosaline popped the soul into her mouth, her expression revealing that it was delicious.
Anamot and the other guard dragged the woman’s body away.
Titania returned her attention to me. “I see you brought the boy.”
Rosaline nodded, still savoring the taste of her dinner.
I could feel the blood drain from my face. Beads of sweat formed on my forehead. Something about her didn’t feel right. I dropped to my knee, lowering my head in respect.
“Your Majesty.”
Titania came forward, stopping in front of me.
“Stand, wolf-child.” I obeyed. “Raise your head.”
I looked up into her eyes. The Queen smiled, and I could see why they called her the Black Widow, despite eating her husbands. The bottom of her dress flared out, patches of red decorating it. She looked like a spider.
“I understand you have been running through the woods with one of my children. Do you deny it?” I shook my head.
“I have been, Your Majesty.” My heart raced faster. I didn’t know if I should run or stay. The queen knew about me and Rue, and I hoped no harm would come to her or me because of it.
“Strange child. Ignores her own kind, but will help the likes of a wolf-child. I will have to have a talk with her about this. Tell me. Are you Konrad’s son?”
“No, Your Majesty. He is my Uncle. My father was the previous king.”
Titania tilted her head. She snapped her fingers, and a young girl with white eyes brought her a golden cup. The queen sipped from it, her eyes not leaving my face.
“I see. You are no longer the prince.” Titania gestured towards the table. “Eat. Be merry. You are my honored guest for the night.”
Rosaline told me I would be safe eating the food, but the hair on my neck stood on end. What would happen if I was to take it? And what would it do to my body?
“No thank you, Your Majesty. Perhaps later.”
The Queen’s eyebrows knitted together. Upsetting this woman was the last thing I needed. The Queen plucked a blood red apple off the table. It sat on a bed of purple flowers growing on stalks. The apple’s skin was blemish-free, and it looked as if it was made of wax. She looked at it longer than necessary.
“Eat.” She dropped the apple in my hand. “One bite, and tonight will be the best night of your life.”
I didn’t want to. I wanted to throw it away. The smile itching to show itself at the corner of her mouth, and the lingering eyes of the other Faeries told me something was wrong. The Queen watched me hesitate.
“Eat,” she commanded.
I looked to Rosaline, but she was already indulging in the party. I raised the apple to my lips, my hand shaking.
A hand smacked my own, sending the apple rolling across the floor. Rue stood in front of me, her arm outstretched to block me from the queen. Her hair was pulled back, twisting and draped down her back like a rope. Her eyes were smudged black, her gold eyes burning with anger. Her usual white fur dress was replaced with a black one. Feathers decorated her shoulders.
“Rue. I was wondering how long it would take for you to show up.”
Rue didn’t blink.
“What’s wrong, my dear child? No words for your mother?” Titania scoffed. She picked up another apple, taking a bite before dropping in into the hands of the white-eyed girl.
I gulped. Mother? When Titania had called Rue her silly child, I thought she was referring to Rue being a Faerie under her ruling.
“She’s your mother, Rue?” I pushed the words out.
Rue gave a stiff nod and dropped her arm. She wrapped her arm around mine and nudged for me to leave. I stood still.
“Were you the one that stole her voice and emotions?” I asked. My nails dug into my fist.
Titania’s frown turned into a scoff. “Who else could have? She is my firstborn, and I have every right to do as I please with her. Isn’t that right, Rue of the Winter Colored Hair?”
I stepped ahead, my lip curling up into a snarl. Rue pulled me back, her eyes meeting mine. They begged for me to stop.
“How could you? She’s your daughter! Your blood! How could you do such a thing?” I yelled.
Rosaline smiled, enjoying the show that was unfolding. It was dangerous for me to lose my temper, but the woman before me was a beast.
“Continue on like that, dog, and I will do the same to you. She protested me killing her father, and I silenced her. I must say, the lack of backtalk is pleasant.”
I took in a deep breath, filling my lungs full of air. I took Rue’s hand and followed my way down the cobblestone. I walked past the dancing Faeries, past the food and drink, past the fun, and past the horrible Faerie Queen. I didn’t let go of Rue’s hand. She didn’t protest, just followed.
"Rue?" Called Titania. The party fell silent. I stopped, turning to look back. Titania folded her hands in her lap, now sitting in her throne once more. "If you leave with the wolf-child, you are forever banished from returning to my court. Should anyone catch you, I will use your wolf pelt as a rug."
The Faeries stayed silent, waiting, watching what Rue would do. She never turned to look at her mother, and just continued walking.

I led her deeper into the woods, unsure of where we were going. I looked up, searching for the stars, but the trees were too high.
Coming up on an open patch of a grass field, I stopped. I took a few deep breaths in and out, calming myself.
“I can’t believe your mother would do that to you.” My voice quivered. Rue could never return home because of me.
Rue shook her head, taking my hand once again. This time she led. She seemed to know where we were and where we were going. I realized that if I needed a potion to communicate with everyone, I wasn’t in Germany anymore.
“Will it take a long time to get home? My Uncle…he’s dying.” Rue didn’t make any gesture.
We stumbled onto a paved road. Rue’s hair transformed to a light blond color. Her black fur dress changed to a baggy, tan-colored, long-sleeved dress. The transformation startled me at first, but Rue was a Faerie. She was everything but normal.
Street lights led the way to the center of the town. It was late at night, but the city came to life. People wandered, laughing and talking. Rue slowed her pace to walk beside me, holding my hand tightly. Music rattled on. It was nothing like the music of the Fae people. The notes were off and it wasn’t as silky, but my feet still wanted to move to the beat.
“Is this why you wanted to come here? To dance?” I whispered. She nodded, pointing to the source. Old wood didn’t keep all the bright lights in. It filtered through the gaps, followed by the laughter.
Leading the way, I pushed the door open. Dozens of couples swung around together on the dance floor, laughing and smiling. Rue rushed past me and joined in. I made my way through the crowd, trying to reach her. She looked human at the moment, but there was no way she could fake having emotions. She could be having fun, but her face would never show it.
She spun into another man, taking his hand. Her feet were faster than his, her moves more graceful than any professional dancer. She moved on to the next. A woman not much older than me swung me into dancing. I took both her hands, unsure of how to dance. She didn’t seem to mind; a smile stretched across her face.
“I’m not very good, I’m sorry,” I confessed.
She just laughed.
“No, no! You’re fine.”
She was replaced by another girl. I looked around searching for Rue. She switched partners again, but I wasn’t any closer to her.
“Looking for someone?” The brunette I was now dancing with questioned.
“The light blonde,” I said.
The girl nodded, smiling brightly. “Don’t worry about your lady! She doesn’t look as if she’s having fun without you!” The girl laughed, and I did too.
After the Faerie Queen’s party, I needed to relax. This was the best way. I concentrated on the steps, making sure my female partners were having a good time. I looked down several times, avoiding their feet.
Time flew by, but the partner I wanted was still far away. I let go of my current partner’s hand and grabbed another girl’s and so forth until Rue was in my grasp. My fingers brushed hers, just enough to catch her attention
My forehead was drenched in sweat, but the smile on my face couldn’t be pried off.
“Are you having fun?” I asked.
She nodded, but her eyes answered for her. Shining bright, Rue was having the time of her life. She twirled in place, her dress flaring out. I laughed, watching the humans’ curiosity take hold.
The song ended. I panted, clapping my hands together. Rue followed my gesture. I ventured to a small counter against the wall that held refreshments. Grabbing two cups of water, I handed Rue one. I finished in two gulps. Rue ignored hers and made her way to the door.
Once outside, I turned back towards the forest, but was stopped. Rue pointed in a direction further into town. Peeling my shirt off my skin, I fanned my body, not bothering to question her decision. My village was nothing like this one. Shops lined the streets; mannequins modeled the latest fashions. Rue ran ahead and pressed her face to the glass. Her focus was on a pearl pink dress. The fabric dripped off the shoulders, ending near the knees.
I looked up to the sky, trying to determine how long until sunrise. Dancing was fun, but we wasted more time than we should have.
“Rue, we have to go. It will be dawn in a few hours.”
Rue ignored me and pressed her fingers against the glass with more pressure. I looked around. The streets were bare—just a laughing couple walking in the opposite direction. I’m sure if there were any curious eyes looking out the window, they wouldn’t find anything unusual about a girl wanting the dress in the window.
The glass shattered.
“Rue!”
I pulled at her arm, wanting to run away from what she had done. I had no idea where we were or how long it would take to get home. Me going to jail was the last thing Aunty needed now. Rue pulled away and grabbed the dress off the mannequin. At the base, she placed several flowers out of her hair.
“A few flowers aren’t enough to pay for that dress, Rue. Stealing is wrong.”
The Faerie ignored me. Her fingers slipped under the collar of her dress. I reached for her wrist, stopping her from taking her clothes off.
“If you want to change, at least do it in the alley,” I sighed.
Rue nodded and skipped away. I followed, standing at the alley’s mouth to block anyone passing by. Nobody took notice of the broken window. My feet inched backwards, wanting to be away from the broken glass littering the ground.
Rue reached for my hand and squeezed it. The dress hung off her. The white skin of her shoulders was almost exposed, the dress far too big for her petite form. But it was beautiful. I had grown accustomed to her usual white fur dress. Having her dress in the clothes of humans instead of hers sent a slight rush through me.
“It looks lovely on you,” I said.
Rue stared at me for a moment. Using both of her pointer fingers, she pushed the corners of her mouth up. I returned her smile.
“How are we getting home before dawn?”
Rue directed me to the edge of town. The lights faded the farther we walked, leaving us in the dark. The stone road turned to dirt and the shops and houses disappeared. Metal glinted in the faint moonlight. A straight horizontal line ran parallel to the one beside it.
“The railroad?”
Rue nodded and bolted off into the dark. I followed, wondering how on earth we were to return home before the sun rose. My geography was not very good, and I did not have the slightest idea of our exact location, but judging by the language difference, home was very far away.
I ran down the center of the tracks. Rue ran off to the side, avoiding being too close to the iron. That the metal would make her feel sick or burn her skin, I wasn’t sure; she just took care to stay away from it. The air was cool, but soon I felt sweat clinging to my skin. My pace slowed, but Rue continued. Noticing I was falling behind, she slowed her pace. She stretched out her arms and spun several times, watching her new dress flare out. I smiled, glad she was at least enjoying our situation.

The next place we encountered was just before the sun rose. My feet dragged. My eyelids drooped. My legs burned. But my feet continued to move one at a time.
Rue was wide eyed and continued skipping along. I moved off the tracks to join her. The large city was still far off from where we were, but I was certain it must have been London. I remembered seeing pictures of it before—not quite this angle, but the pieces were all there. Rue couldn’t have led me any farther than this from home, and although my geography was poor, I knew that home was just across the English Channel. We would end up in France, and have to cut across to Germany.
I was dirty and sweaty, and the speech potion wouldn’t have been in my system anymore. Rue’s dress was still crisp and clean, but she couldn’t speak. Together, we stood out more than I would have liked.
“What should we do? Stay in the town, or stay here?”
Rue stopped and looked up at the red sky. She dashed off, stopping under a short, leafy tree. Her fingers ran over the upturned leaves before she looked to the sky again. She returned to my side, her finger pointing in the direction of London. I gave her a questioning look, and in response, she pointed to the sky.
“Rain?” I guessed.
She nodded.
“London it is.”
Rue scooped up several pebbles and stuffed them in her pockets. We stopped twice; once so she could drape a large leaf over her head and the second time to place one below her feet. I thought it was odd, but the next time I turned to look at her, she wore a beige hat and matching pink heeled shoes. Like before, she looked human.
The road started to fill with more people the farther we wandered into the city. Eyes lingered on us for a moment before moving on. Rue stopped at the sight of a car rolling by. I wrinkled my nose at the smell. Rue’s head followed the vehicle, turning to me when it disappeared.
“It’s a car. You ride in them to get to places faster,” I explained.
We pushed our way through the crowds, wandering in no particular direction. I couldn’t read the signs, so finding an inn was harder than I thought.
“Can you read English?”
Rue slipped her hand into mine and pulled me along. She searched the signs above the many shops. She stopped to look at several dresses, necklaces, and shoes that decorated the shop windows. I prayed to Aldreina she wouldn’t break the glass to steal more things. We ventured ahead.
The first inn we found smelled musty. The boards under my feet groaned, the wood worn to a polish. A man sat behind a counter, scribbling on paper. He sported a mustache that curled up at the ends.
“Hello,” I cleared my throat.
The man looked up. He looked over me once, returning his gaze to Rue. His gaze reminded me of the look in a wolf’s eyes as it sized up his prey. My teeth dug into my tongue. I cleared my throat again.
“Can I help you, boy?” He muttered strange words, but I did recognize the word boy. I was tempted to respond with a snarky tone, but we spoke different languages.
Rue tapped on the counter, getting the man’s attention. She reached for her pocket full of pebbles, and my face paled. If she expected to pay for a room with rocks found at the side of the road, she was in for a surprise. Coins dropped over the counter. By the look on the inn keeper’s face, the amount was far more than it should have been.
I held up one finger and then pressed both hands together and rested them on the side of my head. The man caught on to what I was trying to convey and scooped all the coins into a bag. He turned to the wall behind him, fetched a key, and held it out to me. He held up five fingers and pointed to the stairs. I didn’t know the English word for thank you, so I just smiled and nodded.
Our room was on the top floor, last on the right. The room itself was small. A bed sat in the middle of the room and a dresser against the wall. I threw open the window and took in a deep breath.
Rue switched back to her Faerie appearance.
I swiped one of the pillows and dropped it on the floor. My spine dug into the wood as I lay down, but making Rue sleep on the floor was out of the question. My eyes closed and soon I started to doze off.
I snapped awake when the second pillow dropped next to me on the ground, the blanket from the bed falling soon after. I sat up, questioning why Rue was on my floor with me when she could have the whole bed to herself. She pressed against my back, burying her face in my shirt. My heart doubled in speed. I was suddenly self-conscious about my dirt- and sweat-stained shirt. It stank under my nose; with Rue’s, it would be worse.
“You won’t sleep very well if you stay on the floor,” I said. Her forehead rubbed against my back as she shook her head. I didn’t argue anymore.
My fatigue washed over me, but sleep seemed like a fleeting thing. My thoughts ran for an hour, until my body was too groggy. Like Rue had predicted, the smell of rain started to linger over the city. It didn’t take long for the pattering of rain to lull me to sleep.

Darkness rolled over the city when I awoke. My back was stiff and my muscles sore, but I felt a little rested. Rue was already awake. She sat on the window ledge, twisting her hair into braids and loops. She then wove flowers in until her hair looked like a small bouquet.
“Are you ready to leave?”
She gave a stiff nod and planted her feet on the ground. She would stand out on the streets with her hair as it was, but she seemed to have no concern for it. I didn’t plan on staying in London much longer; I had to get back to Germany. The ground floor of the inn reeked of alcohol. The smell was mixed with other liquids—a poor attempt at hiding the illegal drink. A human nose couldn’t pick up the tang.
Street lights illuminated the road. It had stopped raining, but my boots still sloshed in puddles. Rue’s hand dug into my arm, her shoes avoiding every drop of water.
Her eyes lingered on the store displays, and for the millionth time I wondered why a Faerie princess would be interested in human objects. Like her hat and shoes, she could just use Faerie glamour to make whatever objects she wanted. Rue stopped at the sound of music. It had an upbeat tune like we heard in the previous town, made for dancing to. She looked up at me, her eyes begging to join the party. I wanted to say yes. I wanted to give her everything she ever wanted.
“We can’t, Rue. We have to keep moving.” She averted her gaze, her eyes telling me she was annoyed. “I’ll make up for it, I promise.”
With no money or dancing clubs in my village, we would have to hike to the nearest village to dance. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind so long as she could dance all night. After everything settled down with my family, I mentally promised myself to take her.
We trekked on, following the smell of water. The buildings became shorter. Fewer people were seen in this area, and the ones who were seen stank of fish. Smaller shops lined the street, some selling fish, others small trinkets.
I noticed a black car parked outside one of the small stores. The building lights reflected on the road. Rue stopped dead in her tracks, staring ahead. A man sat in the front seat of the car, waiting for someone. Or something.
A man emerged from the store, a clipboard in hand. His suit was as dark as the night sky, just like his hair. His pale skin was eerie under the yellowed light, but I knew who it was. A shiver ran down my spine.
Stefan Bromwell turned, locking eyes with me. A frown spread across his face. I hoped he would ignore us and leave, but my luck did not lead to that.
“You are the last person I expected to see here at this hour, Mr. Felken Adalwulf. Your Uncle has been dead for less than twenty-four hours, and you are quite far from home. And with Her Highness, Rue of the Winter Colored Hair. Care to explain?”
His eyes bore into mine, unwavering. Lying wasn’t an option; he would see right through it.
“I attended Her Majesty’s wedding and found myself stranded here. Rue is accompanying me.”
Giving him all the details was unnecessary.
“What did you plan on doing? Spending the next month walking home? Your Uncle’s funeral is tomorrow, and your cousin Henri’s coronation follows soon after.
“Well, you seem to have a grasp on things. I bid you goodnight and farewell.”
“Wait!” I called out before I realized what I had done. Stefan glanced over his shoulder, the corner of his lip twitching.
“I mean, Lord Bromwell,” I swallowed. I had to get home, and the fastest way would be with the demon standing before me. “Can you take us home? Please?”
His eyebrows arched, feigning surprise. “Is that so? You are no longer the prince you once were. You are nothing. I will do no such thing.”
This is what he wanted. I heard from my father Stefan took pleasure in small debates. It didn’t matter what kind of argument I put up, he could counter it with ease. I prayed to Aldreina he would just take us home with ease.
“It’s like you said. My Uncle’s funeral and my cousin’s coronation are tomorrow. I have to be there.”
“Then run fast.”
I bit my tongue. “I need your help to get home.”
“Then convince me.”
My nails dug into my palm. “My family—”
“We will get nowhere at this rate. Allow me to broaden your childish mind. You think of nothing but yourself. Take a moment and look at what’s around you, and how you can use it to win an argument.”
Stefan dropped one of his hands in his pocket, watching. I felt like a child being scolded at school for a wrong answer.
Around me? Other than the shops, it was me, Stefan, and Rue—
Rue. Rue of the Winter Colored Hair.
Stefan’s lip twitched, noticing I had come to the conclusion I was in the presence of royalty.
“Her Highness Princess Rue of the Winter Colored Hair, daughter of Titania, Queen of Faeries. She cannot speak, but her influence is great. Return her home, and me as her escort, as well. Do you want the future queen of the Faeries as your enemy?”
Stefan laughed. My skin prickled at the sound of his voice that seemed to crawl over my bones for the first time. My blood felt as if it was turning to ice, but I didn’t break eye contact when Stefan’s red eyes locked on mine.
“Well. Hardly a reason to bring you home, but I will.” He bowed before Rue, taking her hand and kissed it. “Your Highness. My wife is quite close to your mother, and I would be happy to return you and your pet dog home. Come, we will go to my home before you are seen off.”
I scoffed at every word that slipped out of his mouth. Stefan led Rue to his car by her hand. My teeth dug into my lip. I didn’t want him touching her. The car was only meant for Stefan’s personal use. It was smaller than all the other ones I had seen; the backseat looked more decorative than functional. Rue sat next to the right window; I sat beside her on the left. Stefan took his place in the front seat beside the driver. The engine sputtered to life. The car lurched, a cloud of gas fumes filling the air.
Rue soon lost interest in examining the outside scenery as we drove and moved closer to the middle of the seat. Her dress brushed against my hand. I flinched away, turning my attention to the window. Rue’s hand dropped on mine. I looked down to double check I wasn’t imagining things. Her skin was soft and cold, and her touch sent a shiver through my body.
I had never wished so hard that she could talk or express how she was feeling. The vacant look on her face was something I had grown used to, but right now I needed to know what she was thinking.
Was it because I was weak and my hands were starting to shake at the thought of returning home? I wanted to see my family, but another part of me wanted to stay away. Henri would be king, and I would be of no use to him anyway. Uncle was dead. Aunty would worry for me, but with her husband gone, her eldest child on the throne, Lore in another country and younger, growing children to worry about, having me out of the way might just be better for her right now.
Was it because I dragged her away from her mother the night of the party? The Faerie customs are not something I know of, but what I did was rude, and Titania would not be happy about it. But I couldn’t stand watching Rue be tormented by the woman who stole her voice and the beautiful smile that I wanted to see more than anything. I hated Titania for what she had done. Rue’s age was unknown to me, but suffering even one day without means to express yourself to the ones you love was torture.
Was it because of something else? I was not a Faerie. I was a werewolf. Our species, as far as I knew, never mingled before. There was no need to. We hunted the same woods and crossed paths once in a while, but Rue was the first Faerie I could truly call a friend. Was she thinking of something more than that?
I could ask her those questions and have her pick the closest answer. It would settle my thoughts; but deep down I didn’t want to know the answer, if there was a chance that it wouldn’t be the answer I wanted. I squeezed her hand, offering a small smile. She stared back, and a passing street light let me catch a glimpse of the shine in her eyes.
Stefan’s pen never stopped writing. I caught a glimpse of the paper; it was council work. Even with the car bouncing off every rock, his handwriting was elegant and perfectly horizontal.
“Mind your manners, Adalwulf.”
I pushed my back against the seat, returning my attention to the passing scenery for the next half an hour.
The engine died at the steps of Stefan’s mansion. The smell of roses filled the air, making me to want to stay. The sky was clear, letting all the stars shine bright. This place seemed perfect. I expected nothing less of a demon’s nest.
I hurried to offer my hand to Rue as she climbed out, while watching Stefan. His eyes searched through all of his papers, his pen scrawling over the sides of pages. As a council member, his tasks were endless. I was curious about what side businesses he could be doing.
He pushed the door open and I followed him inside. Rue stopped just at the edge of the doorframe, her eyes stabbing into the Demon Lord.
“Ah,” he looked up. “I beg your pardon, Your Highness. Come in.”
Rue stepped over the wood, her shoes disappearing in a moment. Her hair and face shifted back to her Faerie self.
“Faeries cannot enter a house unless invited inside. You will do well to remember that, boy.”
I nodded. That was common information I should have learned.
“This way. I have offerings for you, Your Highness. After you accept them, I will send you on your way. It is getting rather late, and even later back in your own country.”
Stefan led us to a living room. The white walls were decorated with silver mirrors, picture frames, and shelves with tiny sculptures and vases. The Victorianesque couch and two chairs were fashioned in a similar way, with only the black pillows offering a break from the endless white. I dropped into a chair, my eyes wanting to close. I wanted to go home, not linger around here. At this rate, if it were possible, I would get only a few hours to sleep, and every minute here ate into that.
Rue didn’t seem to mind. She sat on the couch and looked up at Stefan, waiting for something. His hand reached out, and before I blinked he had a silver tray balanced on his palm. Crimson apple slices decorated a plate, each one sliced the same size. A small jar sat beside it, holding a transparent, golden liquid. I ran my tongue over my lips at the smell of the honey.
“Please enjoy. It is not as extravagant as the other gifts we have left in the past, but I would be honored if you take pleasure in eating it.” Stefan lowered the tray to the coffee table at her knees, bowed, and left.
It bothered me the way he addressed both Rue and me. I understood as she was the crowned princess of the Faeries, being polite to her was a must, even if it was for good ties. Stefan would never let himself be rude to royalty. Before the murder of my father, the few times I was present when my father spoke to Stefan, he was sure to make me feel important. He called me, like Rue, Your Highness, and gave gifts to ensure my family and I was happy. But I was no longer in line for the throne.
Rue plucked an apple slice from the plate and dunked it in the jar. Her fingers were drenched in honey. She popped the slice in her mouth and was already reaching for the next. I watched, wondering if my gifts of bottled milk to her were lacking.
It didn’t take her long to finish the apples and lick her fingers clean.
“It has been a very interesting night, indeed. I will return you, Felken, to your doorstep. Do not,” he noticed my mouth open, “ask for anything other than that. You can walk to your own room.”
I nodded, wishing he would have saved me the effort. I wanted nothing more than to crawl into bed and never wake again.
“What of Rue?” I asked.
Stefan’s eyebrow arched. “What of her? I said I would return her home, but she is every bit capable of doing that herself. She could have left you hours ago.”
“Wait—” Stefan touched my shoulder.
Raindrops battered against my hair, soaking my clothes in a second. I jogged to the front door of home, my mind racing.
She could have left. She didn’t need me to get home. I should have guessed. I felt like an idiot. All those times she showed up out of nowhere. All those footprints in the snow with no beginnings. I didn’t see it. Faeries weren’t like demons. Rue could have gone home, but she could never bring me with her.
And yet she stayed.
I squeezed through the front door and climbed the stairs to my room. I left a trail of water all over the floor, but I wanted to go to my room more than anything. It felt as if it had been months since I saw the piled boxes or the sad excuse for a bed pushed against the wall.
I stripped the wet clothes off my body and discarded them on the floor. The mattress welcomed my tired body. I groaned into my pillow, listening to the rain beat at my window.
My thoughts were everything but calm. I thought sleep would never find me, but after an hour, it did.