Chapter 11

Henri

I stayed in my room, my hand clamped over my mouth. It wasn’t to keep me silent, but to hide the smile I could not wipe from my face. Father was down the hall, dying in his bed, just as I had planned.
Felken was a fool. By building his confidence against my father, I just had to wait until my cousin lashed out. Father would not take it lightly, and Felken’s broken jaw was evidence enough of that. Father was angry at him for running loose in the woods and the paperwork involved with it. As his king, Father had no choice but to take responsibility.
I had hoped Felken would run off into the woods; he had been spending most of his days there. Why? I had no clue. The woods were boring for me; I’d rather be in the company of other people, with good drinks. I assumed he would just go to his cabin, but Uncle went looking for him there and did not find him.
A few words to the men of the village about a wolf I saw running away with one of our chickens were enough to spark anger. The night of the change, I fed more information throughout the village until I was sure at least one person would take the bait. Father insisted we search for Felken instead of hunt.
I stuck close to the trail, keeping an eye out for humans. Once I spotted one, I showed myself long enough so he would follow. The first shot was aimed at August. He was slower than us and far too curious to stick with the pack. Father ran at the hunter, long enough for August to get away. Both hunter and Father were gravely injured; father from a bullet, and the hunter from both teeth and claws. We left the man in the woods to die, but made our own way back to the house.
I bit the inside of my cheek to keep myself from smiling, hauling Father up the stairs to a worried Mother. Things were working out to be a little bit too perfect. All I had to do now was put on a show until Father died, and I would have my crown. Felken expected me to lash out and slay my Father, but if I could keep my hands clean, why would I not? I technically had no part in it at all.
I had to comfort August. He thought it was his fault Father was on his death bed. I told him several times already it wasn’t, but my words didn’t seem to matter.
I waited until night fell to leave my room. I planned on offering Felken another night out so he might be distracted. Taking his mind off Father and my pending crown was my goal. Felken never expressed interest in the throne, but that could change. August had, but that changed the moment he realized the paperwork that was involved. He wanted his freedom.
If Mother heard me climbing the steps of the ladder leading to Felken’s room, she didn’t care. I didn’t try to hide the noise of my footsteps. I wiggled the doorknob. It was left open. I pushed my way inside, remembering how startled Felken had been last time I showed up in his room. I smiled.
The grin soon fell from my face. The window was left open. A light breeze rolled in, carrying the smell of the woods. My eyes narrowed as I took in the scent of freshly picked lavender. Felken wasn’t in his bed, and Rosaline Lovelock had been here. I couldn’t forget the alluring smell of that woman.
My fingers curled into a fist. Why was he with a Demon Lord? Felken was nobody.
That nosey woman got into everyone’s business. It could simply be that Rosaline was looking for another contract to make, and Felken was easy prey. Or it could be Rosaline knew something I didn’t.
I clamped my eyes shut; by clearing my thoughts long enough I could enter the academy grounds. If there was one person who loved meddling more than Rosaline, it was Jasper. The blasted wizard had information on nearly everyone.
My boots stomped on the flattened rocks of the path. At this time of night, no one was wandering about. It was a school night; all of the students would be in bed.
The Wise Boatman was rather quiet. A few men sat at the bar sipping their drinks. Two academy students hunched over books, writing frantically. My target sat alone at his usual table. I slipped into the chair opposite him.
I cut to the chase. “What does Rosaline Lovelock want with Felken?”
Jasper looked up, his eyes foggy from his drink. “I have no idea what you mean—”
“Of course you do. You always know.”
Jasper smiled, taking a swig of his ale. He reeked of the alcohol.
“Maybe I don’t know this time. I’m only waiting for Marls to finish work,” he jerked his thumb towards Marline, the waitress, who was serving the nervous academy students. Her hair was tied up in a bun on her head and she wore a black dress with an apron, the uniform for waitresses at The Wise Boatman.
“We finally agreed on a name for our kid! I wish I never gave her that copy of Alice in Wonderland. I wanted something with more…boom.” He made an explosion gesture with his hand.
I shook my head. “Shouldn’t you marry the poor girl first? How long have you been keeping her waiting?” Jasper had promised her since the day they met she would be queen. That was five years ago. Marlina was patient, but I wondered for how much longer.
“I take after my mother. My feet are very, very cold, but alas, they are starting to warm.”
Jasper drained his glass. Marlina approached our table and dropped the empty glass on her tray.
“Another, love,” Jasper winked.
Marlina’s nose wrinkled. “Not in a thousand years. You’re done for the night.” She nodded at me. “Your Highness.” She left, leaving Jasper with a sour face. I was glad she cut him off.
“Back on topic,” I snapped my fingers to get his attention. “This information can only be between us for the next few hours, alright?”
Jasper’s attention returned.
“My father was hurt during the hunt last night. He won’t make it until morning.”
The wizard’s eyes lit up; I was giving him breaking news that he only knew of. There wasn’t anything better for him.
“And? You’ll be king soon?” he questioned.
I wanted to nod straight away, but hesitated. “I fear that my cousin might want the crown.”
Jasper threw his head back, laughing. He smacked the table, causing the few heads present to turn in our direction. I shot him a look, but he didn’t take notice.
“That scrawny dog? Ha! The kid looked like he couldn’t hurt a fly.”
“He’s killed before. Who says he’s all innocent as he acts? He’s been spending all his time in the woods. He’s with Rosaline right now—”
“Say, did you agree to her terms?” Jasper interrupted.
My eyes widened.
“Terms?”
Jasper leaned in further so we wouldn’t be eavesdropped on. “Yes, terms. She covered Marlina’s family tree for me. I say, why does it matter if her grandmother is a half?”
“Because it is against your laws,” I suggested, pretending I knew what he was even talking about. “What did you agree to?”
Jasper shrugged. “The same thing Rosaline asked for every other bloody heir. I promised to say yes to whatever she wanted. How could I not? I love Marlina, but she has human blood in her veins. She bleeds black, but it’s still there. So? What did you get out of this?”
I let out a laugh. I finally understood.
“Nothing, Jasper. Nothing at all. Rosaline never offered that deal to me, but I know who she did.”
His face paled, realizing his mistake. Anything he said could not take back all the information I had learned.
“If I were you,” I stood from the chair, “I would watch my mouth, and who I told about Marlina. You’re my friend; the last thing I want is for you to go through a Crowning Trial.”
Unlike my people, only a Févi could have the Witch and Wizard ruling title. A Crowning Trial could take place if his people thought he was doing a poor job of ruling. At that point, Jasper would have to physically battle his relatives for the title. Marlina having human blood, and Jasper wanting to marry her, would be reasons enough to start one.
Jasper jumped to his feet. “What are you thinking, Henri? Just because Rosaline”—”
“If Rosaline offered Felken the same deal as all the other heirs, it means that she will have a future council with all royalty owing her an unconditional yes. Rosaline thinks Felken will be the next king, not me.”
Jasper grabbed my shoulder. “You can’t be serious. Henri, you’ll be king! Felken probably just met a girl or something—”
I slapped his hand off. “Felken doesn’t deserve to be king.”
I left Jasper and returned home to gather my thoughts. It seemed there was still one obstacle in the way to my throne.

               Felken

“Felken!”
I groaned, half dazed at the sound of my name.
“Felken!” A hand dug into my shoulder.
“Yes?” I muttered.
I wanted to sleep for the next century undisturbed, if possible. My head ached, and my eyes were sore as I focused on Aunty. Her black dress fell past her knees; a hat with a half veil covered her face. Her eyes were red and puffy.
“Come, Felken. I’m happy you’ve returned, but you must get dressed. It’s well past noon.” She pulled my arm.
I swung my feet over the edge of the bed, rubbing my forehead. Aunty placed a set of folded clothes beside me.
“They’re Henri’s, so they might be a little big on you.” Aunty forced a smile, tears threatening to fall from her eyes. Her pain was still fresh, and I was proud of her for having the strength to come and see me.
“Thank you,” I forced myself to make eye contact. “And I’m sorry for running off like I did. It was…selfish of me. I should have been here for you.”
Aunty wrapped her arms around me, pulling me into a tight hug like my mother used to. I closed my eyes, taking in her scent. The clothes had a faint smell of must, but it was comforting. The last time she wore the outfit was just over a year ago at my own mother’s funeral.
“Thank you for coming home. I know your uncle wasn’t the nicest to you, and I have to apologize for that. I do love you like one of my own sons. My sister, your mother, was very close to me. I vowed to keep you safe, even if that meant letting go so you can handle your feelings in whichever way you see fit. I feel as if I failed you, with the way your uncle treats—” she paused “—treated you.” She pushed me away, so I could see her half-hearted smile. “Next time, I just beg you to leave a note or a warning. I have been worried sick about you! Running through the woods at a time like this, all alone! The cabins are only safe for so long, and by yourself—”
“I wasn’t alone, so no need to worry,” I clamped my mouth shut. The words just poured out, and now that they hung in the air, there was no retrieving them. Aunty studied my face. I avoided eye contact, knowing well enough we were the only werewolf family in this village. There were a few nearby, but only accessible after several hours of walking on the pathways and roads.
“I should bathe and get dressed. Like you said, I’ve been in the woods for a while—”
“Whom were you with?” she questioned. “A human? What is their name?”
I swallowed. I hated lying to Aunty. Rue wasn’t human, but she wasn’t one of us. I prayed I could avoid saying what creature she was for as long as possible.
“Ah, well, a-a girl I met.” I focused on unbuttoning Henri’s folded shirt, pretending the job was endless. “Her name is Rue. She lives nearby.”
“A girl? In the woods? Felken, humans are dangerous—”
“She’s not human,” I corrected her.
Aunty’s worries fell from her face.
“Well, quite strange for you, Felken, to run about with a girl. And in the woods? Be lucky if she ever talks to you again.” Her smile grew. I mirrored hers; only, mine was forced.
“It’s alright, Aunty. She’s…very happy in the woods.”
Aunty stood and headed towards the door. Her grin still lingered and she tossed me one last glance. “Before the next full moon feast, you must invite her over. Perhaps she would like to join our hunting party, if her family allows it.”
I let out a sigh as the door closed. I was saved for now, but Aunty wouldn’t give up pestering me about Rue. I supposed I would have to tell them about her; but how would they react? Aunty was supportive of all her children’s wishes, including Lore’s, whom she sent off to another country we were at war with two years ago. Would she support me? The son of her beloved sister?
My worries lied with Henri. He had no problem taking a liking to women of other species, but when the time came, he would marry one of our own. Henri was going to be my king. As our tradition, couples wanting to tie the ribbon of fate would present themselves before the current king and ask for consent. In all of our history, the acting ruler had said no once, simply because the man was drunk and had asked to marry his jug of ale.
Rue was a Faerie. Her lifespan would outlast mine by centuries, and her customs, beliefs, and life were completely different from ours. If I presented Rue to my family, there was a chance Henri would say no to our friendship in general, and that would be the end of it.
I buttoned down the shirt, wishing I could go back to sleep. I wanted to rid myself of all these thoughts. I draped the tie around my neck and wandered downstairs. Aunty would have to tie it for me, just like she used to when I was a child. I half-smiled remembering those days.
Everyone sat in the dining room, all dressed in black. Elsbeth cried in Aunty’s arms, despite her attempts to calm the child. Lore’s eyes were red, but she focused on the plate in front of her to keep herself from crying. Jan was biting his lip so hard I thought it would start to bleed. Henri’s usual smile was replaced with a hard line. His eyebrows crunched together, his fork stabbing the meal in front of him. August was missing.
Everybody’s plates were full, but nobody was eating.
I took my own seat, filling my plate. I too didn’t feel like filling my belly, especially after seeing the empty chair at the end of the table, but my last meal was hours ago. The food was bland. I couldn’t taste the usual flavors. I swallowed, but it just sat in my stomach with an odd feeling. I drained my glass of water.
“Welcome home, Felken,” Henri muttered. “I thought you’d run away for good.”
I didn’t answer. Henri hadn’t looked up; he was just trying to break the silence.
Aunty wiped her clean mouth with a napkin. “Felken is going to bring a girl home, the next full moon.”
My fork slipped from my fingers. The metal clang echoed in the silenced room. I bent over to fetch it off the floor, not wanting to meet the gaze of my cousins.
“Really,” Henri’s dead eyes pierced mine. “You never told me you fancied a girl. Which family is she from? Schwarz? Roth? Don’t tell me she’s a Brandt. That old man drives me up the wall.”
I shook my head. “I don’t know,” I lied. “We just met, not that long ago.”
Henri shrugged, scooping a carrot into his mouth. “Oh well! After this mess is all sorted out, maybe I’ll allow you to see her.”
Allow me. Henri was planning on having me ask permission to see Rue. That wasn’t part of the tradition. I was free to meet with and see any one I liked. Having an imaginary shackle on me already was ridiculous.
“What’s she like?” Lore pitched in. Even in her grief, gossip was still her favorite thing to do.
“Can we not talk about this right now?” I protested.
Lore shook her head. “Humor me, Fel. Brunette? Is she tall like you? Or maybe she’s a stumpy tree.”
“I bet she doesn’t exist at all,” piped in Jan, a small smile on his face.
I frowned—they were just trying to add fuel to the fire.
“She is real. Her hair is—” What would be best to say? “—light blonde, and she’s a little taller than you, Lore. Her skin is pale as ivory, and her eyes are the color of amber.”
Lore tapped her chin. “Amber eyes? That’s rare. She must look like a wolf.” She smiled, picturing Rue with the broken description I gave her.
“You have no idea,” I mumbled.
Henri replaced his fork with a spoon, scooping steaming soup into his mouth. “She sounds nice. Perhaps I’ll make her my bride.” Henri didn’t look up, but I could see the faint smile on his lips. Whether or not there was any truth in what he was saying, I could still feel the anger rising in me.
How long was his act going to last? The pain on his face from losing his father was real, but Uncle’s death was long foretold. If it hadn’t happened now, just when was it going to? Henri wanted to kill his father for the crown. It was just a lucky chance hunters got to him first, making Henri seem like the grieving son and not the boy who murdered his father for a crown.
I wanted to know his plans for me. Back in the winter, Henri said he wanted me by his side, but now I could see things were different. Tradition says that the killer of the previous king becomes king, unless the death is natural. Uncle killed my father and obtained the throne. Uncle was killed by a hunter while he was trying to protect August. Henri would become king without the blood on his hands to show everyone.
Where did I fit in? Up until about five years ago, I was the crowned prince of my people. Now, nearly eighteen, I was a nobody. I had no influence over anybody. I would be of no use to anyone. So why would Henri want to use me in the first place? Perhaps because he knew I was too much of a coward to murder him, let alone anyone in our family?
“Do not bring her into this,” I said.
“Will she attend the funeral?” he asked, pushing my temper further.
“She is attending to her family. There are others she must take care of.”
“How noble. I wish to meet this woman. Ask her to join us tonight at my coronation feast and party. Rosaline Lovelock is the host, and she insisted I invite as many people to celebrate as I wish.”
I continued eating, acting as if I wasn’t angry enough to flip the chair I sat on and wrap my hands around Henri’s neck.
“She’s busy.”
“That was an order.” Henri’s old smile had returned—the kind that made him look as if he had just made a great joke; not the kind that threatened me into bringing Rue to a party.
“Fine. I will insist that the king wishes for her presence.”
I was going to tell her to run.

As night fell, members of my family, nearby werewolf families, and the villagers gathered around a large wooden platform on the outskirts of the village. The villagers whispered amongst themselves, stating how odd our family burial traditions were, but they didn’t protest.
Uncle’s body was in the center of the platform, his hands across his chest. The villagers were told a heart attack had killed him. It was depressing; no human diseases or conditions could kill us, but the small trace of silver in the bullets of guns could. The wound on his chest was well hidden, and if I didn’t know better, I would have also thought that a heart attack killed him.
Henri stood at the base, his mother and cousin beside them. The tears flowed freely. My own eyes watered, but some of the fellow race members started to wail at the death of their king.
My own father’s funeral had been moved to the academy grounds. After his death, the number of werewolves wanting to bid their king farewell was far too many for the village to handle. It seemed Uncle wasn’t as well liked.
“Evening, all. I personally would like to thank you for joining my family and me in the farewell tradition of sending off my father’s soul. I understand some of you didn’t know him personally, but he did his best to protect his people and this village. After the death of my uncle, his brother—” Henri’s eyes flickered to mine for a moment, “—he never stopped working so that everyone might be happy.
“The past few months have been hard. The wolves have been venturing further into our territory, and he did everything he could to protect us from the beasts. On the eve of his death, one of the wolves was killed. Hunted by his own hand, he planned on presenting it to his village as a symbol of the peace that is to come.”
My face paled. “No, no, no,” I muttered, pushing my way closer to the front of the crowd.
Henri waved, and two men dragged a wolf’s body across the ground. Grey and brown, the wolf wasn’t even an adult. Rue would be devastated. Her pack was short one member.
“I wish to see this as a symbol of hope. My father’s death was foretold years ago, and living long with a heart condition proves how strong he was. The day he died, he complained of pains, but that did not stop him from killing one of the threats.”
Uncle wouldn’t have killed the wolves. We were the same as the hunters of the woods once a month. Every werewolf alive respected our cousins, and wouldn’t even consider taking the life of one of them. Henri spewed lies out of his mouth.
The men positioned the wolf at the base of the platform. Its body would burn with Uncle’s.
“I wish to carry on his work. As his eldest son, I will be the one to protect you. I will be the one to stop these beasts from running rampant. I offer this wolf as a final gift to him, so he might continue to hunt and protect us in the afterlife.”
“You’re a monster,” I breathed out, watching as Henri lit a torch. Uncle only allowed the wolf hunts because he knew the wolves would never actually be killed. The creatures were too smart for that; the wolves were never seen during the full moon and lived farther in the woods. It was always my family that was spotted.
I turned and started to run for the woods. I needed to warn Rue. I needed to tell her what Henri had done. I didn’t get to hear the rest of his speech, but the smell of burning flesh and hair followed me. I pushed faster, leaping off the trail once the village lights were out of sight.
“Rue!” I screamed, begging she would hear me.
My cheeks were damp, the tears falling from my face and staining Henri’s old clothes. I caught a glimpse of white ahead. I ran towards it and didn’t stop until I ran into the Faerie, wrapping my arms around her.
“Rue, I’m sorry. I’m sorry! My cousin, he is a monster. Your wolf, the young one, Henri, he, he—” I fell to my knees, the mud dirtying my pants. “He killed him. He hunted and killed him, and he is now burning his corpse as we speak. I’m sorry, Rue.”
She knelt in front of me, wiping away my tears. The pain in her eyes was unbearable. I returned to hugging her, burying my face in her hair.
All that nonsense about Uncle killing the wolf—Uncle never set foot outside our village except for council meetings and once a month for full moons. The day before his death, Uncle was in his office doing paperwork like always. Henri was the one who hunted the poor, curious creature. Now that he was an hour or so from being king, he was starting to show his true colors. To the villagers, that wolf meant that like his father, Henri intended on protecting them. To my people, it meant our family had no problem with killing one of our own.
Rue rested her cheek on my shoulder, squeezing her hands around me hard enough to crack one of my bones. She was upset and had no way to express her pain.
“He found out about you. He doesn’t know who or what you are, but he wants to meet you at his coronation party. Please, run. I don’t want you to get involved.”
Rue shook her head and pushed me away, leaping into the darkness of the trees. I pushed off too, giving chase. Her feet were faster than mine, but I knew where she was going. Rue jumped, clearing the face of the hill. She dashed inside her den. I slid down the slope, tumbling to my knees before crawling through the hole.
A fire was lit inside. Rue searched the darkest corner of the cave, pulling out something that glinted. I swallowed my fear and grabbed her wrist.
“You can’t kill him, Rue. Not yet,” I begged, thinking of Aunty. Losing her husband and child in the same week would destroy her. But Henri didn’t understand the depth of what he had done. He had declared war. He didn’t know the wolf pup was Rue’s, but he still killed one of her people on her territory. That itself was an act of war, and she planned on taking action.
She refused to drop the knife.
“Please, Rue! Just listen! I’m angry at him too, but he had no idea the wolf belonged to you. This isn’t right.”
Her gaze didn’t waver. The fire burning behind her eyes shook me with fear. I lost my grip, and she was free in a moment. She brushed past me, heading for the exit.
How could I convince a Faerie not to follow through an act of war? The death of Henri would be enough to satisfy her, but her lost wolf member would still be dead.
“If you are determined to go, let me be your voice. I can explain to Henri what he has done and we can settle this without more death.”
Rue stopped long enough to look down, shaking her head. The other wolves present started to whimper, curling up against each other. One of the elder wolves was curled up on the pink dress she had stolen.
“Fine. What if I buy you every single dress you liked on our way home?”
Rue started walking. She ducked just before the hole when I called out.
“I’ll give you my firstborn child to replace the life you lost.” A life for a life. It was impossible to substitute the life of Rue’s precious wolf pup with a werewolf child, but Faeries in all the tales I read loved snatching infants from their mothers, only to raise them as one of their own. Would Rue be the same way? I had already promised my loyalty to Rosaline. Although I didn’t like the thought of tricking her, I might not ever have a firstborn to give to Rue.
My proposal stopped her. “I know it isn’t much, but please. Don’t kill Henri right now. Let me talk to him. I’ll let him understand the depth of what he has done and force him to apologize.”
Time seemed to stop. Rue or I didn’t move, and the sound of the fire behind me was drowned out by the pounding of my heart.
“Please,” I begged.
A few more moments passed, and the knife dropped from Rue’s hand. I let out a sigh of relief.
“I have to go back and catch everyone before they leave. Thank you, Rue. Stay here, I’ll settle everything.”
I crawled out of the cave, pondering how I was going to do just that.

My mind disappeared during Henri’s coronation. I didn’t hear the words that he spoke or the cheering at the end of the ceremony. Aunty clutched my arm, and before I knew it, I was standing at the gates of Stefan and Rosaline’s house. People chatted outside, everyone in human guises. The front doors were thrown open and guests walked in and out freely. I retreated inside, feeling exposed.
Henri was greeted by all the council members, one at a time. Some said a quick hello and left, others stayed for a prolonged chat. My eyes stayed focused on him, like a wolf stalking its prey. I had asked Rue not to kill him, but I found myself having the uncontrollable urge to end his life.
“Someone doesn’t look happy.”
I stumbled from the slap on my back. Jasper grinned and pushed a glass of wine in my hand. Everyone drank it during celebrations, but I always hated the taste of it.
“I’m…tired, is all.” I looked away from the prince, hoping he would leave me be. He must have cast another spell on me. I was speaking English.
“Lady problems?” His elbow nudged mine.
“Cousin problems,” I confessed.
Jasper nodded. “I understand. Watching the cousin you grew up with take the crown that should be yours—it’s tough, I know. Well, not that I know, know; I am an only child.”
I drained my glass, the sour look on my face hard to hide. I’m sure the wine was high grade, but it still tasted rotten.
“That’s not it.”
“Then tell me. Perhaps I can help.”
I shook my head. “Unless you know how to stop a possible war that one side doesn’t even know they started, you might just be useless.”
That caught his attention. I turned to leave, but his hand returned to my shoulder. His fingers squeezed it, digging into my dirty jacket.
“Tell,” he muttered, casting a spell. I hated Jasper for being so nosy in other people’s business. He did help me with Rue, and I’m sure if he brought that up too, with enough pestering I would have told him without the influence of a spell.
“Henri killed a wolf,” I sighed. “Any other wolf in the woods would have been fine, but he hunted one of the pack members that just so happened to belong to a certain someone.”
Jasper’s eyebrows shot up. “Do tell,” he urged.
“Rue of the Winter Colored Hair. Titania’s daughter.”
The surprise on Jasper’s face would have been hard to fake. He was one of the few people who knew that name because of who he was; and unlike Henri, he also knew the dangers of what he had done.
He snapped his fingers, releasing me from the spell. “Your Faerie girlfriend must not have been happy. Where is she? Henri is still alive and walking, which is a shock.”
I shrugged. “I made a deal with her not to kill him. I intend on forcing him to apologize and making peace with her. War is the last thing we need right now, especially against the Faeries.”
Jasper rubbed his chin. “The faster you do it, the better. Titania was invited, and I’m sure she would have heard by now. She may be a cruel woman, but Rue is still her daughter. If it’s a good enough reason to go to war, she will take it.”
I nodded, wishing I had more to drink. If I was drunk, just maybe all problems would disappear for a moment and I would be able to relax.
Jasper wandered off before I could consult with him further. The faster I took the plunge and faced Henri, the faster this mess could be smoothed over. I pushed my way through the crowd. He was talking to Sphinx, a man with bright green eyes and dark skin. His chin was rather pointy and his eyes slanted, almost cat-like.
“I beg pardon, Sphinx,” I bowed, “but I must speak to my cousin immediately.” Sphinx nodded once before taking his leave to join the other party guests.
Henri grinned, adjusting the oversized crown on his head, furs draped over his shoulder, reminding me further of what he had done. He wore navy blue and black, the color of our people, with a crescent moon stitched on his breast. He looked like a king.
“Yes, cousin? How on Earth did you get so dirty?”
“That’s not important,” I snapped. “You killed a wolf from our woods! Why in the name of Aldreina would you even think of doing that?”
Henri’s smile faltered but returned to its brilliance. “I did nothing wrong. The wolves were attacking rather close, and in order to win the villagers’ trust, that was the easiest way—”
“That wolf belonged to Rue of the Winter Colored Hair,” I hissed under my breath, just enough he could hear me.
“Am I supposed to know who that is?”
My nails dug into my palm. “She’s Titania’s firstborn daughter. She lives in the woods around our village, and by killing one of her wolves, you have declared war on them.”
Henri’s face paled at the mention of Titania. He might not have known who her children were, but the wrath of the Black Widow, who would have no problem striking him down for his crimes, was basic knowledge to him.
“You owe me your life, cousin,” I poked his chest. “Rue was ready to kill you where you stand, but I made a deal with her not to. You can still fix this mess if you apologize—”
Pine.
The ballroom was lined with tables of food for all the species. Meats, fruits, drinks, pastries; all the smells mingled in the air with the scent of each guest until they all blended.
Pine.
The familiar fragrance of the one person I didn’t want here. My mind raced. I had begged her not to come, and the deal I made should have covered that. But it didn’t. I made a deal for her not to kill Henri, not to stay away from the party.
Rue stopped herself beside me, her eyes stabbing into Henri. Her tangled hair and usual white fur dress made her look like a beast, and it was enough to send Henri shaking in his boots. He tried to hide behind his smile, but his lips quivered.
“Your Highness,” he offered his hand so she might take his, but she didn’t move.
“Your Majesty,” I spat, “allow me to introduce you to Rue of the Winter Colored Hair, firstborn daughter of Titania, Queen of Faeries, and heir to the throne.”
Henri still held out his hand, but Rue stepped forward, ignoring it. She leaned closer, so she could look him dead in the eyes. His gaze wavered.
“Are you going to keep her waiting?” I asked.
“Ah, yes. Your Highness, Princess Rue. I beg for your forgiveness. Please. I had no understanding of the deed I did, and I do not wish for war. The wolf I hunted was threatening the lives of my villagers. My people. I’m sure you understand. I hope you do not hold this against me. After the party, I will meet with you to discuss territory so we might live in harmony.”
The fire burned in Rue’s eyes. She could see through the honeyed words Henri said. He didn’t mean a word. He quivered, because Faeries were dangerous creatures. Having one angry at you meant death. But I’d told Henri I’d made a deal for her not to kill him.
Henri thought he was invincible against her anger.
Rue held out her hand, offering Henri something. He took it, frowning at the crumpled, dead flower. She turned to leave without looking at even me.
Henri let out sigh of relief. The color returned to his face.
“Well,” he dropped the flower on the floor. “That was terrifying. Tell me, did Mother know it was a Faerie you were in love with? At least now I know who was letting you out every full moon.” Henri let out a chuckle.
“I would be best if you didn’t let your guard down,” I warned, ignoring everything else he had to say. I didn’t give him a chance to respond. I looked for Rue, but it seemed like she only wanted to see the face of a wolf killer herself. I couldn't spot her among the crowds of people.
I wasn’t in the mood for a party either. I had warned Henri, but it was up to him to follow through with his actions. Setting up territories was a good idea, but having Rue agree to it would be difficult. The woods we lived in belonged to her for many years, and suddenly having her pack threatened by a mere boy with a crown seemed wrong.

After I had humored Jasper and had another drink with him, he agreed to take me back home. He had been kind enough to bring us, and unfortunately, I could not return home without his help. I could not teleport home like he could. It was rude to abandon the party and all the guests who came for my family, but I was tired and needed to sleep my anger off. Rue was long gone. She must’ve returned home to her pack, and I was happy she or Henri didn't throw fists at one another. No one seemed to notice the inner quarrel between Rue and Henri, and I meant to keep it that way for as long as possible.
The smell of the funeral still wafted in the air. A crisp breeze brought the smell of rain; a storm was on its way. I hurried to my room, shut the door, and climbed out the window to perch on the roof. The air chilled my skin. A few degrees lower and I would be able to see my breath. I inhaled, feeling my body grow calm and my head clear.
A few stars twinkled behind the clouds. They were soon covered and the night grew darker. Even after the first few flecks of water fell, I remained sitting. I sniffed the air, but the smell of pine was nowhere to be found. I wasn’t surprised, but it was still hard not to be disappointed.
I climbed back in through the window and stripped myself of Henri’s clothing. I tossed the articles in the corner, replacing them with my own. I was tired of hand-me-downs from him. I was tired of having none of his clothes fit. I was tired of being weak.
I dropped on my bed, face first. I could hardly breathe, but I didn’t move.
How could I ever have wanted to protect Rue? In the end I just made a deal that involved Rue not killing Henri, leaving her unable to do anything about it.
In the morning, I told myself, I would confront him and threaten him if I had to, to never harm Rue or her pack. For now, I would rest and refresh myself for the possible fight I would have to face.