Chapter 9

The following month, the snow was just about gone. Replaced with puddles of mud and sprouts of lush green plants, the forest was starting to bloom.
The full moon was four days away, and I wanted to spend some alone time with myself. I walked off the trail and towards the river. I had taken on most of Henri’s chores and some of August’s so that they could help Uncle with council matters and the village, now that the snow was disappearing.
Lore demanded to attend an all-girls school in London, despite not knowing any more English than I did. Uncle wasn’t happy with the idea, but Aunty thought the experience might be for the better. The tension in the house was thick as fog. I wasn’t a part of the debate, but when Uncle’s anger boiled over, I didn’t want to be the one he took it out on.
I plucked a small flower from the river bank and tossed it in the water. The current swept it away with ease. Though the air had a chill to it, I debated jumping in for a quick swim—when another blossom floated by, followed by another. I jerked my head to the right.
Rue stood several paces away. Her tiny hands held blossoms of different types. Every few seconds she tossed one in the water, her eyes following it down the river.
“Rue?” Her eyes met mine.
Her face was devoid of expression, but her eyes seemed to sparkle with some kind of excitement. She returned to throwing the flowers. In the bright spring sun, her white hair shone like fresh snow.
“You saved me on the last full moon from the hunters.” I searched my bag, thumbing through the loose papers. “You also gave me that drink that helped me make a complete change.”
Her golden eyes bore into mine. Dumping her handful of flowers, she took a few steps forward.
“I...It’s not much, but please, take it.” I offered the picture of the crocus I had drawn when I first met the Faerie.
Her slender fingers accepted the drawing, holding it close to her face. Her lack of expressions was frustrating. I didn’t know if she loved it or hated it. Common knowledge was that Faeries loved getting gifts, but I never looked into what kind. Leaving milk was just showing respect.
Rue’s golden eyes met mine once more. They had the same curiosity as when she was throwing blossoms into the river. It seems I would have to learn to read her eyes. Her finger jerked out, her nail digging into my chest.
I didn’t understand. She removed her finger, only to place it back on my chest.
“Are you asking for my name?”
She nodded.
“Felken,” I answered, smiling. I was getting somewhere.
Rue returned to looking at the drawing. I reached into my bag once again, retrieving my notebook and tiny pencil.
“I can draw you, if you’d like.” I was being pushy. Faeries weren’t like humans and took offence to things that were considered normal. By asking if she’d like me to draw her, she could feel like I was forcing her.
Rue didn’t. She nodded several times, confirming that she was more than willing to sit for a portrait.
“Alright then, let’s see.” I judged the light filtering through the trees. “Let’s move somewhere with a bit more sunlight.”
Rue took off, sprinting between the trees at full speed. I caught a glimpse of her before she disappeared. I took off after her. It wasn’t long before my lungs burned for air and I had to stop. I bent over, gasping.
Rue stepped out from nowhere and tugged on my shirt to keep running.
“I can’t,” I wheezed. Her aura of disappointment stabbed into me. “I’m weak; my family doesn’t feed me much or allow me to become strong.” I felt awful—I must’ve made it sound like they were horrible people.
Rue yanked my bag, slipping it off my shoulder. She took off running. My fingernails dug into my palm. My chest burned. Faeries were tricksters; she wouldn’t return my bag. My boots sank into the soft earth with each step. Rue half-ran, turning her head to look at my slow progress. Her feet were bare, but not a speck of mud clung to her skin.
I panted, chasing the Faerie through the woods. We followed the river until it started to widen. The trees started to break away from clusters and became sparse. Rue stopped, watching me drag my feet until I reached her. I was for once glad of her lack of expression. I was embarrassed by my poor stamina.
Rue opened my bag and pulled out my notebook. I reached for it, but she turned away. She flipped through the pages, examining all of my drawings. Stopping at one, she looked for a very long time.
“Rue?”
She turned the book. Eleonore’s portrait stared at me. Her beautiful smile and bright eyes brought back memories. I swallowed.
“I killed her,” I admitted. “I can’t control my changes for some reason. I lost control, and I killed that girl.”
Rue dropped my bag and shoved the book into my chest. She didn’t leave. I didn’t know what she was thinking. I scooped up my things from the ground, digging in my bag for my pencil. It was down to about an inch and a half. My fingers would cramp soon after starting, but until I got a new one, I would have to suffer it out.
I gestured for Rue to sit against a thin tree so she might be comfy. I sat across her, unsure of where to start. Her large, glittering eyes? Or her thin, small lips? Her hair that was a bird’s nest, with wild flowers decorating it? I sketched the outline of her face. Rue didn’t even twitch.
“Can you smile?” I asked, glancing up.
Rue used her fingers to push up the corners of her mouth. It would have been funny if it wasn’t all she could do to show expression.
“Never mind, I have an idea.” Her hands dropped to her lap. I had no ideas. I just didn’t want to offend her. Her fake smile could never match a real one.
I traced the outlines of her eyes, doing my best to capture their beautiful shimmer. Nothing I drew could ever be as charming as the real thing. When I reached her lips, I stopped. Rue could never smile in her life. I wanted to draw what it could’ve looked like, but what would she think of it? I could play it safe and draw the resting face of the Faerie, or take a risk.
It would be worth jeopardizing my life to capture the beauty that was Rue.
The corner of her delicate lips in my drawing stretched up, revealing perfect teeth. I adjusted her eyes so they had a slight squint. I prolonged the drawing process, spending time shading a few areas. I didn’t want to stop. Rue’s eyes started to wander off, chasing a butterfly that danced in the slight breeze. Maybe she wanted to follow.
“I’m finished.” I pushed off my knees, my legs sore from not moving. Rue had no problems jumping up.
My hands shook. Holding my breath, I flipped my notebook over revealing what I had drawn. Rue didn’t move. Her eyes drank up her portrait, the blank expression never changing.
“Do you…like it?”
Rue leaned forward, the tip of her nose an inch away from the paper. Her fingertip traced the outline of the smile.
“I can redo it if you’d like—” Rue’s head snapped up, the gold in her eyes shining in the sunlight. Her head shook once. I pulled the book close and tore the picture out of the book. I offered it to the Faerie, who grabbed it before I could say anything further. She half-spun out of my view, her hair flying outwards.
“Rue?”
She was gone.
Dragging my feet, I followed the river back. I kicked a loose rock, not bothering to watch it roll away. Just when I thought I was starting to understand her, Rue fled. I knew nothing of Faeries.
I passed the portion of the river where she had been tossing in the flowers. I wanted to see her again, but it seemed our meetings were possible only when she decided she wanted to see me. Growing up around my male cousins, I had limited experience when dealing with girls. Rue was female, yes, but she was a completely different species. I needed to learn more about the Faerie culture.
The books in our library had nothing that would be useful.
Good werewolves minded the business of their own people. They didn’t meddle in the affairs of those of other species. None of my people would have any useful information I needed. Where could I find it? Jasper Févi might know more than he led on, but the place to find him would be the academy—
The academy.
Filled to the brim with students, why wouldn’t the academy have information about Faeries?
Unless I could bypass the research and ask the source itself.
I secured my things and bolted to Uncle’s house.

Henri looked at ease standing beside me. He wasn’t shaking or fixing his shirt every moment, wondering if Uncle would change his mind any second.
“Hold still, will you? You’re acting as if you’re on trial,” my cousin hissed.
I couldn’t help it. Henri or Uncle did not know my true intensions. I didn’t want to just visit the academy as I had told them. My target was Rosaline Lovelock.
Uncle flipped the page of his book, reading the contents before scribbling on a sheet of paper. This continued for a few minutes. He placed his pen on the desk, letting out a sigh.
“Do not shame me, Felken. None of these people have forgotten your rampages.” Uncle didn’t even turn to look at me. I nodded, wondering if he had seen the gesture.
Henri slapped my shoulder. “Go have fun, will you? You’ve been a gloomy fellow lately.”
Henri, Uncle and I went to the Magic Realm. The path to the council building was simply dirt; small rocks flung up with each step. I watched them enter the Council building, disappearing behind the tall oak doors. I was no longer heir to the throne. I had no right to be in a meeting.
The Lovelocks had their rights to council seats stripped from them centuries ago. The details were never written down. Like me, Rosaline had no place among the leaders. But how was I to contact the white-haired demon? I was sure she would be wandering around here. Stefan Bromwell led the meetings in place of his own king. Uncle always complained about Rosaline interrupting and joining them despite her stripped status.
“The more you think of me, the more my ears tingle, Little King.” I spun to the sound of the foreign language.
“You’re lucky I speak German, puppy.”
Ignoring her last comment, I jumped back.
“How did you—” she pressed her finger against my lips.
“I know everything. I assumed you would come find me at some point. I must thank you for having good timing.” A silver envelope materialized out of nowhere. “I wanted to give you this in person. There are things you should know, and this is the best way of learning.”
Rosaline offered me the envelope. Despite the smile that spread across her beautiful face, I could not trust the woman before me. I wanted to. I wanted to listen to every word she said and believe each one to be true. I grew up listening to stories about Rosaline Lovelock. Her father was a monster; her mother was one of the strongest to walk the Earth. Rosaline had killed them both.
“Take it,” she said.
The silky paper looked unlike anything I had ever seen before. The flecks of silver made a pattern of vines.
“What is it?” I asked. A red wax seal closed it shut. A spider was stamped into it.
“Open it, puppy.”
I dragged my finger under the seal, breaking it. I turned the envelope in my hand once more before finding the courage to open it.
Black ink was scrawled across the paper. The same leafy vines that decorated the front were present on the inside, but in greater detail.
“I can’t read it,” I admitted.
Rosaline’s lips dropped into a frown. Snatching the paper, she dangled it in front of my nose.
“It is an invitation. The Faerie Queen requests your presence at the celebration the night after the full moon. She remarried once more, despite my warnings.”
My eyebrows furrowed together.
“Why me? And didn’t you say she killed a husband?”
Rosaline’s smile returned.
“She has taken interest in you. I will not say why; that is for her to explain.”
“But—”
She pressed her finger against my lips again. “I will fetch you and escort you to the party. After that, your fate will be in Titania’s hands.”
The invitation was returned to my hands. I looked it over, a thousand questions running through my head. This was madness.
“Say, aren’t Faerie parties dangerous?”
My question went unanswered; the white-haired demon had vanished.

Henri and Uncle met me where they had left me. I hid the invitation in my shirt, hoping it would not fall out. Henri’s eyes shifted to me, suspicious, but his smile never left. Uncle never spoke a word to me.
I took my seat at the dinner table, piling my plate full of bread slices. The pot of stew in the center of the table still boiled, even after it had been taken off the heat. I wanted my bowl full of the hot meal. My belly groaned from being empty. Sipping my water did little. Uncle filled the bowl for my cousins and Aunty, then dropped the spoon into the pot. I tried not to frown.
“Something wrong, Felken?” Uncle dunked his bread into his stew.
I swallowed. “I’m hungry, Uncle.”
“I don’t see how; you haven’t done anything today.”
My canines dug into my lip. My heart started to pound at the thought of what I was thinking of doing. Uncle was twice my size. He could have had me dead long ago if he wished it.
But I was hungry. I grabbed the spoon from the pot. The metal burned my skin, but I scooped the stew into my bowl.
Uncle grabbed my wrist. His rough fingers dug into my skin, yanking me away from the table.
“What do you think you’re doing, boy? I did not give you permission to eat.”
I struggled to free myself. “I can’t survive off bread, Uncle! I’m starving. I’m weak. I want to eat a decent meal for once.”
Uncle’s frown deepened. His skin started to turn red, his eyes popping out. “Do not speak that way to me, boy! I might be your uncle, but I am also your king.”
“Then care for your people. So far you’ve done nothing worth calling yourself king! You murdered my father—”
I stumbled backwards. Uncle’s fist smashed into my cheek. I heard a crunch and Aunty screaming, but I couldn’t feel the pain. My head hit the floor, stars dancing in my eyes. I coughed, spitting out several of my broken teeth. Blood filled my mouth.
Uncle grabbed the front of my shirt, shaking me like a ragdoll. He dropped me on the floor once again. “You will not talk back to me again, boy!”
My mouth throbbed. The teeth that didn’t break were cracked, and I was sure that my jaw had been fractured. I held my hand to my face, trying to cradle my wounds. My skin was hot, and the slightest touch sent stabs of pain through my head.
I pushed off my knee, standing tall. I didn’t want him to see me in pain. I brushed past him. Uncle grabbed my shoulder, turning me to face him.
“Where do you think you’re going?”
“I’m leaving,” I snapped. His grip tightened, but I managed to twist out of it.
“Felken!” Aunty cried, “You mustn’t go!”
I ignored her and my cousins, who seemed to be paralyzed. Once out the door, I ran. My lungs burned in the chilled night air. My cheek throbbed. My eyes blurred with the pain, tears threatening to fall.
The woods threw a blanket of darkness over me. The temperature dropped. I wasn’t afraid. I slowed my pace, letting myself breathe. I left the path and turned towards the river. My belly still groaned, but I wanted to wash my mouth out before I swallowed more blood. Dropping to my knees, I scooped water into my mouth. I spat out several gulps, coughing out the taste. I quenched my thirst, hoping the water would take the hunger away.
My mouth would heal with time; my teeth would grow back. I was lucky my werewolf genes allowed limbs and bones to regenerate if they were ever cut off. I hope that would never happen. Waiting would be the worst part. I could live in the cabin, but Uncle would expect me to do that. I could go to the farthest cabin, but even the woods could be dangerous for me. I always used the closest one to home, fearing traveling far.
A hand brushed along my back. I jumped, but the smell of pine told me she was near. Rue knelt beside me, examining my face. I looked away. She moved to the other side, grabbing my jaw. I yelped, pushing her hand away. Tears returned to my eyes.
“My Uncle was angry with me.”
Rue leaned closer, her eyes following the bruising on my skin. She stood up holding out her hand. I had no strength left. She bent and grabbed my hand, pulling me up with ease. Rue started forward, dragging me with her, half-leaping, wanting to run. Every time she looked back at me, I shook my head. She slowed her pace. Her hand dropped from mine. I wished she would continue to hold it, but she left to pick several flowers.
The pathway behind us was over an hour’s march away. The trees grew thicker, casting darkness as far as I could see. My feet stumbled along, snagging on roots and loose rocks. I could see Rue by the little moonlight that filtered through leaves. She twisted and danced among the trees, disappearing and returning just as fast.
The pain in my face reduced to a throb. My bones were healing and new teeth were pushing through my gums, but not fast enough. I tried to open and close my mouth, but I could not.
Rue stopped and waited for me to catch up. She gestured for me to follow her down a steep hill. I narrowed my eyes. I noticed several moving figures at the bottom of the hill. Rue leapt down, bounding like a deer. The air rippled with life the closer I got. Yips and whines got louder with each step.
“Wolves!”
They kept moving, but I managed to count at least seven. They circled Rue, tails wagging. One stopped in front of me, its nose twitching at the smell of my hand. I reached out to pet its head, but it bared its teeth in response. I jerked my hand back. I was a wolf, but not a wolf.
Rue snapped her fingers. The wolves were silenced. She clicked her fingers twice more. The beasts ran into the darkness, leaving me and the Faerie alone.
“Will they be gone long?” I grumbled.
Rue shook her head no.
“I’ll build a fire.”
I gathered several twigs and medium-sized branches that littered the area into a pile. Part of the area was clear—patted down and bare from use. Buried in the side of the hill was a small gap. I dropped the wood in the center of the clearing. Rue started to pick the piles up and carried them off into the cave. Her petite body had no problem squeezing through the hole. I would probably get stuck.
Dropping to all fours, I pushed myself through the opening. My shoulders scraped against the dirt with each movement. I used my knees to push forward. My eyes couldn't adjust in the darkness, but I could smell the scent of pine, leading the way. The walls opened up. The ceiling disappeared into the darkness. I held my hands above my head, making sure I didn’t hit anything as I stood.
A fire sparked to life. Rue sat beside the burning pile, staring into the center of the flames. I joined her, sitting on the opposite side.
The cave spread deep into the hill. The firelight failed to illuminate all of it, but from what I could see, the wolves had built beds of dried grass and branches. Each bed was big enough to house two or three, but with the small number of wolves, each could have a bed of its own.
I pressed my fingers to my jaw, testing it. The bone had set, but my teeth were still missing. Rue pushed to her feet and left the cave without looking in my direction. I moved closer to the fire and tossed in a few sticks. The flames licked them up, their heat growing by the second.
What a strange situation I had ended up in. I would have to go home at some point to face Uncle. Staying out here in the woods forever wasn’t an option. I just hoped when I did return, I wouldn’t be greeted with another punch to the face.
My ears perked at the sound of whimpers and whines an hour later. Rue’s white hair glowed orange in the firelight. Her white dress was flecked with red. Each hand held a small brown rabbit. She dropped one in my lap and moved to the corner with her own. It didn’t take her long to skin hers and have it roasting over the fire. I dumbly stared at mine, not knowing what to do with it. Rue must’ve seen the look on my face. She scooped up the animal she had given me and prepared mine as well.
The other wolves had their own dinner, devouring their rabbits, rats, mice, and whatever small animals they could find.
“Do you help them hunt? They seem to have good luck.” I recalled all the failed attempts my cousins made.
Rue nodded, turning the rabbits over the fire. Grease dripped from the cooking meat. My stomach growled louder the more the smell wafted through the cave. I sat silent, just staring until the meat it turned golden brown. Rue plucked hers off the fire and bit into it, not waiting for it to cool down. I wanted to devour mine whole, but unlike her, I didn’t wanted my tongue burnt. I blew on my dinner, growing impatient.
I took a small bite. I ate through the pain. I chewed and swallowed, hardly tasting it. I was too hungry. I licked the remnants off my fingers. My stomach was full, but I could eat another whole rabbit.
One of the wolves trotted over and dropped a ball of fur at her feet. Rue picked it up and looked over the mouse once. She dropped in it her mouth and swallowed. She pat the wolf’s head and it wagged its tail.
It was impossible to hide my frown. I dropped my gaze, trying not to gag. As a wolf, I had no problems eating raw meat, but in my current form, I could barely stomach the sight.
Our one-sided conversation died soon after. Rue wandered to the largest nest bed and plopped down. She curled up on her side and didn’t move. My own eyelids started to drop. I couldn’t go home, so I had no choice but to stay. I didn’t have my own bed here though. I lowered myself to the hard ground. My head and shoulder dug into the floor. Groaning, I knew I shouldn’t complain.

I stayed with Rue until the night of the full moon. Finding my way back to the nearest cabin—one at the far end of the woods—took longer than I thought it would.
The building’s roof had crumbled in, the large gaps covered in moss and a half-grown tree. The windows were broken; the rugged edges pointed in every direction. I leaned against the door, pushing my weight into it. It groaned but didn’t give out. A small hand pressed against the wood. Rue curled her fingers in and punched through the wood.
Rue stepped backwards, allowing me access to stick my arm through the hole and fumble with the lock. The metal latch scraped against the wood of the door. The door popped open.
Light filtered through the roof hole. In the patch of sunlight grew flowers. Bright purple, the plants brought life to the rundown shack. A tiny tree had sprouted to life in the corner.
This cabin had no tables or chairs. I hoped the basement would still be accessible, and that I could use it for the night. I warned Rue about the villagers and how they were growing wary of the wolves of the woods.
I examined the floor, searching for any sign of the entrance. Peeking through the grass, a rusted handle caught my attention. I pulled at it and the door gave way. I grunted, my teeth digging into my lip. I pulled with all my strength until the grass was pulled away and the hole in the floor was exposed.
Looking down, I swallowed. The stench of damp moss reached my nose. I glanced at Rue, but she was too busy picking flowers to notice my dismay. I bent my legs and dropped into the basement. My footing slipped for a moment on the wet stone under my feet. I thrust my hand out to brace my fall. My skin sunk into the slime coating on the wall.
“This is disgusting,” I muttered.
Rue jumped down, taking one glance around before offering me the bouquet. I wasn’t in the mood to accept it, but I reached out with my soiled hand. The flowers smelt familiar. The bitter pollen brought back the memories of the last full moon.
“You used this in that stuff you fed me, didn’t you?”
Rue nodded and took a flower back. She popped in her mouth, and gestured for me to do the same.
My eyes squinted. I chewed the plant but had a hard time swallowing. The longer it stayed in my mouth, the more repulsive it seemed to become. I forced it down my throat. My stomach tingled. The warm feeling in my belly seemed to spread. Rue pointed to the bouquet in my hands.
“You want me to eat all of this?”
Her nod was something I didn’t want to see. I munched on the next flower, swallowing it after chewing it twice. The next I chewed once. The bitter juice filled my mouth and the taste lingered long after I finished eating the flowers. My limbs started to tingle. I sat down, not trusting my legs.
Rue leapt up, grabbed the edge of the door, and hauled herself up. I stumbled after her, looking up.
“Are you leaving?”
She shook her head no. I let out a sigh of relief. I wanted her to look over me until I changed. My body wasn’t responding the way I wanted it to. My feet lost their feeling, as a slight burning in my back started. The change was near.
I fell onto my back, groaning. Was it going to be like last time? I didn’t want to be here, but I had to stay for the sake of my family and my hidden world. If I killed any more humans, the chances of discovery would grow. My hair stood on end at the loud thump against the stone beside me. I half-rolled, looking at the Faerie with a bundle of straw in her arms. It had the scent of pigs lingering on them, and I knew where she had stolen it from.
“Stealing from the villagers won’t make them happy,” I muttered.
Regardless, she dropped the bundle on the ground and started arranging it in a circle. She left again, returning with more. Satisfied with her nesting bed, she knelt in front of me. Her fingers snaked around my chest. My heart tripled in speed, having the pine-smelling Faerie so close. She dragged me to the center of the pile, turning me on my side in case I was to be sick.
Darkness.
Rue shut the door. I heard a clank, and I assumed she locked it. Returning to me, she sat by my side. She lifted my head to rest on her lap and patted my hair the way she patted her wolves.