Chapter 8: All Those Questions

Ever day was the same as the day before. Nathan would help me eat, and I would sleep with him sitting in a chair next to the bed. After about a week of the same routine, I woke up with him not around. I was kinda confused, but I also didn't know what time it was. I knew that he probably wasn't always there, but it was still a little strange not having him right there. I looked around the room, but he wasn't anywhere. I could sit up then, so I sat up and tried to stand. I hadn't tried that part yet, so I ended up falling to the floor. Next thing I knew, Nathan was right next to me trying to help me get back into bed. "What are you doing?"

"Well, you weren't around, so I thought I'd go find you."

He smiled a little from what I said. "Oh baby, no you need to rest..."

I cut him off saying, "no. I'm tired of resting. I want to get out of this room." I noticed him thinking about it. Then he left and came back with a wheelchair.

"Okay, but I don't think walking is such a good idea yet." Then he helped me move over to the chair. My back still hurts quite a bit, but he's been giving me some magic pills that kill the pain. That's the reason I can sit now. The chair was pretty comfortable, too which helped. "Do you like the color? I didn't know if you wanted pink or blue." I looked down and realized that is was pink. I've never seen a wheelchair that was pink before.

"How did you do that?"

"Oh, um. That's magic. You know that there are a lot more spells than you know, right?"

"Oh, yeah I knew that. Can I learn?"

"Yeah, all you have to do is think of the color or pattern you want and where you want it. Then you move you hands," he said while doing the motions," and then it will turn to the picture in your mind. "

"Wait, you don't have to say anything?"

He looked at me and smiled again before he answered like it was a joke. "You never have to say things out loud. Those books are stupid."

Now I smiled because I was a little embarrassed. "Yeah, well, that's the only book I could find of magic in the castle."

"Oh, that makes more sense. Well, if you want to go see more then this room, we should probably get going."

"Hold on, I want to try the spell." Then I pictured a baby blue chair and move my hands. When I opened my eyes, the wheelchair was exactly how I imagined. I smiled with delight. "Okay, now we can go." Then he grabbed to handles and pushed me out of the room.

We went through a short hallway that lead to a big open space with a kitchen, dining room, and living room. The living room had two couches, a chair, fireplace, and a giant television. The kitchen had an island in the middle of it that could sit about six people. Then there was the table with a glass top that could easily sit ten people. There was also a whole wall of windows in the back. I was shocked. "This is where you live?"

"Oh, yeah. This is my home. Do you like it?"

"I love it." Then he pushed me over to one of the couches and helped me sit down. I looked out the wall of widows and saw a forest that didn't look scary at all. The sun was shining though and brightened to room, too. I turned my head to the TV when I heard it turn on.

"Do you want to watch a movie?"

"Um, sure." This place seemed so normal, but then I noticed he was using magic and not a remote. It was more semi normal. He played a movie that I hadn't seen, and we just sat there and watched it.

When the movie ended, he made me some lunch, and then we decided to take a walk. He took me to the barrier where I could see the world that I left behind. I would say I missed it there, but I fit in here. I don't have to hide my magic at all. I was just sitting there when I noticed I stick in the ground. I looked at it for a second and then realized that it was actually the wand I took from my father. I asked Nathan to pick it up, and I told him what it was. He stared at it for a second and then turned to speak to me. "You grabbed it before you came over here." He said it more like a statement than a question. "We have the wand. I can't believe this."

"What? I told you I'd get it."

He then looked away from the wand and looked at me. "We have everything we need to break the spell." I was a little confused then.

"Wait a minute, we have everything. Even the human heart?"

"Oh, yeah. I got one when you left. I didn't know when you'd get back, so I found away to get one. Don't worry, I didn't kill anyone."

"Then how?" I was stunned. This was crazy.

"I know a guy who knows a guy."

I still was very confused, so all I said was, "oh."

"I have an idea." He seemed so happy now.

"What?"

"We could break the barrier."

I didn't know what to say. Break the barrier? Does he know what that could do to me? "What?"

"Yeah, I mean I could do the spell, and we could destroy the stupid barrier. "

"Wait, hold on a second. You want to do the spell that could turn you evil. Nathan I won't let you."

"Come on. I'll be fine. Plus, it's for a good cause."

"Turning evil is never a good thing."

"I never said it was."

"No, I won't let you do that to yourself."

He thought for a moment before he spoke again. "Well, I guess I'm sorry. I have all the items, and I'm going to do it. You either stay out or help me."

"So this stupid spell is more important than me?"

"Well, I've wanted to do this for as long as could remember, but I've only known you for a few months."

"Wow, thanks." Then I rolled away. I wanted to stomp out, but I still couldn't walk, and falling wouldn't make the leaving thing very easy. I went back to the house and locked the door to the room. I found a way to get myself into the bed, so that I could try and sleep. The problem was that the thoughts of our fight were swarming in my mind and wouldn't leave. Was he crazy? Did he even care about me? Why would he do this to me and to himself? It took awhile, but I finally closed my eyes to sleep.