Chapter 16

In the remaining two games, Kagami-kun didn't play, and Kuroko-kun experienced a sudden slump. The tactics I've been making were all useless, not even a shadow of the passes had saved our team so many times before could be seen.

78 - 79

Even if they give everything they have, not every challenger can become a winner. 

96 - 78

We lost. 

Seirin High School's attempt at the Inter-high ended. 

But even after that....I knew, deep in my heart...

When one thing ends, another begins...we were on to a new challenge. 

*********

After our matches, we resume our classes. 

Coach Riko had informed me earlier that Kagami had to rest for two complete weeks because of his injury, and thus had made him excuse from training. 

I hope he would recover better. 

"Kise-kun, I'm fine, really." I groaned at the annoying blonde on the other side of the line, as I walked in the corridor, going to my classroom. "Losing sucks, but we'll be fine. We need to be." 

"Are you really really sure?" Kise childishly asked. "You know, Mari-cchi, if you're still not fine, maybe you, me and Kuroko-cchi could have an ice cream together!" 

I sweat-drop. Seriously, is he treating us like a child? 

"Don't worry, I know losing sucks, especially since we lost three consecutive times, but we'll recover from it." I tried to laugh cheerfully. 

"That's the spirit! Call me if you need someone to cheer you up, okay?" 

"Mmh, thank you, Kise-kun. I never knew you could be so kind!" 

"What was that for, Mari-cchi! I'm good! Especially to my best friends!" I sighed, knowing Kise started wailing again. Man, I would imagine people staring at him while he is conversing me on his phone. Maybe they'll thought, what a pretty guy, but oh look, he's crazy. What the heck is he wailing about over his phone?! 

But my mood became sour. "Kise-kun?" 

"Mm?"

"Sorry..." I bit my lip. "...we didn't make it to the Inter-high.." 

There was silence at first, but Kise finally speaks up, sounding more cheerful. "Don't worry! We'll face each other soon! Don't afford to lose on your games soon, alright? Seirin is strong, and I believe in you and Kuroko-cchi and Kagami-cchi, so someday.." 

"Yeah, someday." I smile. "Do your best on Inter-high, alright?"

"Of course, Mari-cchi!" 

"Call you soon." 

"Bye! And Mari-cchi! Don't worry, okay? Be happy! And tell that to Kuroko-cchi, okay?" 

"Yeah, yeah, bye." I giggled, before hanging up. Kise might be annoying, but he can be a cheerleader sometimes, whenever you're sad or crying. 

By the time I've reached my classroom, the bell already rings and I sit down on my usual seat next to Kagami and behind Kuroko. 

Both of them...

Since the day we lost to Too, we started not talking to each other, because I know they're stress as much as I do. Heck, maybe they're even more stress than the rest. And I made an observation too that Kuroko and Kagami hardly talks to each other, too.