Chapter Seventeen

Fortunately for us, we didn't see anyone else. The rest of the ocean tunnel was deserted, no more trains, no more dead bodies, it was practically peaceful. We managed to reach the Mainland without any more trouble and even the weather had cleared up for us. Some might say it was perfect.

We arrive near a beach. I can't see it but I can hear the waves somewhere in the distance, crashing against the shoreline. It adds to the tranquillity of the area because surrounding us are some fields and the sky above us is a shining blue.

"We did it. We actually did it. I can't believe I left The Island. I left The Island and no one caught me. Really, when you think about it, the security guards my mother has hired are rubbish. That plays to our advantage though." I say with disbelief. A big part of me thought that I would never get this far. I'm still in shock that I left the palace in the first place, never mind the fact that I have actually crossed an ocean to get away from it.

"Now we just have to make all of this count for something. And not get caught." Jasper says which dampens my mood a little bit but not too much.

The three of us keep walking through the fields, being very careful just in case there is anyone about but there doesn't seem to be. The more walking we do, the fainter the sound of the waves get and the more nervous I start to feel.

My mind begins to swarm with questions. Was this the right thing to do? Should I have crossed the ocean tunnel? Would it have been better if I stayed on The Island? What happens if Jasper or Max, or both of them get hurt? Where would I go then? How is Crystal doing? Is she in much trouble or did they let her off?

To try and shake these thoughts out of my head, I begin to count the sheep I can see in the field. I know this is to help people sleep but it does end up distracting my mind. That is until am interrupted.

"Are you alright, princess? It's just that you seem to have gone really quiet and your mouth is moving but you're not saying anything." Jasper asks me which almost shocks me out of my silence.

"I was just counting sheep." I tell him because there is no point lying to him or Max.

"Were you feeling tired?" Max asks me which I think is him trying to make a joke but it doesn't quite work out.

Shaking my head, I tell him "no I wasn't. I was trying to distract my mind. Have I really done the right thing by running away?" I ask them both, hoping they can put my mind at ease.

It's Jasper who replies first. "Honestly, no you probably haven't. There are palace guards all over the country looking for you. There are rebels from this country looking for you and there are probably rebels from Shadowfell also looking for you. To narrow it down princess, the whole world is searching for you and the palace probably doesn't care less about helping anyone else until you are locked behind their doors.

However, in the long term, yes you probably have assuming you return back to the palace on your own terms. You will know what you have to do to make the country a better place. Already you have seen so much that your mother hasn't. Right now it might be terrifying but in twenty, thirty, forty years, you'll be glad you did this. And you'll also become the most famous monarch ever." Jasper tells me and I realise he is right. It is just hard to see the benefits of my decisions when they are still decades away.

"Thank you." I whisper at him while I still soak in everything he had just said.

"Can you hear that?" Max asks not long after we have finished talking. I listen hard for about a minute and then I realise what he is on about.

It sounds like there are people close by. I can just begin to hear the faint whispers of conversations and if I look hard enough, I can see some buildings in the distance. "Are we close to a town?" I ask Max who just shrugs his shoulders at me. "If we are, what are we going to do? There is nowhere for us to hide." Panic begins to creep into my voice as I realise this.