Chapter Thirty Nine

The people with the big, heavy cameras are back for my next live announcement. They have been setting up the lights in the throne room for numerous hours, trying to get it just right. Apparently that is not working today. The clouds are a murky grey outside and in the throne room has a skylight ceiling, causing the inside of the room to match the murkiness. Normally, when the weather is like this, it causes my mood to match it but today I am like a ray of sunshine.

My insides will not stop buzzing about as I think of the live broadcast that I am going to do. Never in a million years would my mother have announced something like this, to her it just would not be seen as important. Instead she would be throwing her balls and inviting random members of the public to attend as if that was going to solve everything.

I still miss her though.

I wonder what she would actually think of me doing this? Would she be proud of me or would she think that I am wasting my time? Probably the latter knowing her.

"Can we just do some last minute touches?" A woman with very short blonde hair asks me, I think her name was Cressida.

"Sure," I tell her while walking over to where she is.

Cressida starts applying more powder to my face as if I do not already have enough on. After she has done that, she puts another layer of lipstick on, a crimson red, the colour of blood.

"I think we are done now. You should be ready for your broadcast now." She tells me, clapping her hands while she jumps up and down on the spot.

"Great. Can I go now?" I ask her to which she replies with a nod.

"We are ready to go live in a minute!" I hear someone yell so I rush across the room to take my place. I mange to get there in time for the thirty second count down.

The lights are all set, my make up is fine and finally we go live.

"Good day to you all, the citizens of Strongway. I hope you are all well. Today I have another announcement to make after some important decisions that have been made about the country which I hope you like.'

'As of today, gay relationships are now legal. My ancestors were the ones who decided to make those relationships illegal in order to populate the planet after the unspeakable disease. Well the planet has certainly been populated and I personally think that that law was very old fashioned.'

'We will also be working to legalise gay marriages so hopefully you will get whether announcement in a matter of weeks.'

'That is not all. There will be stronger relationships between the palace and you, the people. I want to hear what it is that you want to change in the country, what you think is needed. This will be happening by creating local councils with in each city in each zone. You will be able to apply to be a member if you wish and meetings will be held.'

'At these meetings, you can discuss what you want to happen with the country, and more specifically, in your city. All of this will be reported back here, to the palace where I will look over everything and put things into place.'

'My main goal here is to repair the rip that my mother has made between the palace and you the people. At the moment, I do not feel that close to you and I know that you do not feel that close to me so I hope together we can fix that together. For now, that is all." The lights turn off and I sit back into the throne, sighing as I do so.

It feels like a big weight off of my shoulders announcing everything that I did to the world. Now I just have to wait and see how people react. I know there will be some uproar about everything, I am never going to please the entire country, no matter how much I want to do I have to expect that. Hopefully the majority will be happy with what I have said though.