His Wish.

The drive home was a comfortable silence, Law is only slightly too short for a seat belt so you had him sit on your lap. The little guy fast asleep and leaning back against your chest with his mouth wide open, a soft and quiet snore filling the air.

"He seems to sleep well when you're holding him, huh?" Rosinante thoughtfully murmurs, his eyes taking a quick glance at the child before shifting back to the road. "He seems fond of you." 

You nod your head with a small smile, remembering him at Santa's grotto. The little shit had been tugging on the Santa's beard for most of the time. And upon being asked what he wanted for Christmas, the boy just melted your heart by saying he just wanted you and 'Cora-san' to be happy because you two deserve happiness more than anybody.

You had thought that when you met him yesterday, he was going to be a horrible little boy. But in just a day, he's changed your views completely. "He's a good kid, really. He's just in a lot of pain right now." You mumble out, in attempts not to wake him as your fingers play with the small locks of hair that stuck out from underneath his hat.

"Something tells me you and him are one in the same." Rosinante's voice falling softer, the man glancing at you as he stops at a traffic light. "Maybe that's why he's so drawn to you? I don't know much about your childhood but...I-I can tell that it wasn't too happy." The blonde trips on his words as the light turns green, his gaze drifts back to the road, the car beginning to move.

You could tell he was nervous about having this talk with you. He was right, of course. You hadn't had it nearly as bad as this boy did. But when you did something wrong as a child, your parents went overboard with giving you a simple thrashing. Which is what lead you to being so protective of children, you couldn't stand to see anyone raise a hand to a child. 

"Yeah, my parents were...well," You couldn't really find the words you were looking for. You had thought it was normal as a child but apparently not. The teachers and other parents at the school grounds always worried about you when they saw you were covered in cuts and bruises but when they asked about it, you were too scared to go into detail. Afraid of the consequences you'd face if your parents found out you had told. "They were just a bit rough, is all." you murmur under your breath, Rosinante pulling up into the drive.

"That's why you tried to swat me for hitting Law?"

"Yeah. Don't hit this boy, he's been through enough!" You quietly scold as you unclip your seat belt, picking Law up in your arm as you open the car door before climbing out. "If you need to punish him, slap his butt. Not his head. And not too hard either, he doesn't need to be battered to get the point!"

Rosinante chuckles at your words but nods his head nonetheless, getting out of the car and opening the boot, taking out the many shopping bags gathered inside. "He can open the Santa's grotto present tomorrow, the rest are for Christmas day." 

"Tell yourself that." You snicker as you both make your way inside the house, your mood lightening up once again as you remember how cute Rosi can be when he goes father mode on Law. "You're the one who keeps letting him have presents early!" Your voice falls silent when Law fidgets around your arms, mumbling something random before he stills again. 

Jesus, I thought I woke him up just then! Why does this boy always scare me like that?!

"Out like a light." Rosinante grins, giving the boy's back a rub. Your mind thinking back to all those slashes that decorated his skin, your heart sinking slightly. You feel Law's hands clutch to you at the contact but he doesn't wake up or fidget to it. "Maybe he should stay in the guest room with you until he starts to sleep better?" Roisnante suggests, handing you a pair of pajamas for the boy. 

"Sure. I'll have to see what he says about it tomorrow though." You smile as you carry Law up the stairs and into your guest room. Or, your current room. You lay the sleepy child down on the bed, changing his clothes carefully, trying not to wake him in the process. Once he's in his pajamas, you tuck Law into the guest bed, giving him a white, fluffy teddy bear to cuddle. You had bought the teddy for yourself, originally. But he needs it more. 

"Goodnight, little Law~" You chime, planting a kiss on his forehead before turning on a lamp that sat on the bedside table, turning the big light off and leaving the door open ever so slightly, in case he needs to use the toilet during the night.

Making your way downstairs, you find Rosinante smoking a cigarette in the kitchen and making himself a cup of coffee. His eyes lightening up as they land on you. "You want one?" The male hums, raising the coffee jar at you.

"Yeah, I'll wrap some of Law's gifts while I'm awake." You coo merrily, the Christmas spirit apparently waking up inside you. You notice a cheerful grin etch itself into Rosinante's features as he points to a large shopping bag that's filled to the rim with shopping. 

"I think they're all Law's, double check before wrapping them to be sure." The man's smile fading when he misses the mug with the boiling water, managing to get his hand instead. "SHI--" The pained blonde chomps down on his lip hard, preventing himself from yelling as he grabs a tea towel, drying his hand before running it under the cold tap, a frown replacing his grin. "That...really didn't feel good."

"I imagine it didn't." Snickering as you take a cream out of the cupboard, one that you had bought Rosinante before due to his clumsiness. It cools burns, which was handy for something like this man. He's always burning himself one way or another. "Here, gimme your hand."

The blonde doing as he was told and holding his fist out to you, allowing you to apply the cream gently, you made sure to keep your touch as light as you could while you spread the cream around his large hand. Your gaze shifting up to him once finished, firstly noticing how red his face was. And then how you had been unintentionally standing a little too closely to him.

"A-Anyway..." You nervously chuckle, taking a few steps back, your face heating up and surely looking as red as his at this point. "I-I'll get started on those presents." The temptation to punch yourself for stuttering was immense. Your legs strolling themselves over to the shopping, as you try to calm your tensed and heated body in the process, picking up the bag before rushing into the living room.

Jesus, that was awkward.