Forgotten Memories

"And this is Cinderheart," Cherrypaw mewed and pointed to the pretty grey cat with her tail. Briarlight's explanation of what happened the other day floated back to my mind. Cinderheart was the one who saved my life.

She dipped her head. "You fought well out there. We could see everything from the river. If I hadn't known any better, I would have thought you were a one of us out there."

"Yes, and I have heard about you from Briarlight," I said. My legs shook as I bowed low to her. Rats. I forgot about my bad leg. "Thank you. I will never be able to repay you for saving my life."

"Oh, no, it was nothing. I... I.." she stuttered. I stole a glance up at her before rising up out of the bow. The poor she-cat was flustered. She had taken a few steps backward and her blue eyes kept darting back and forth in embarrassment.

All around us cats were staring at us with wide eyes, or in Foxleap and Toadstep's case, laughing their tails off. "Why'd you do that," Cherrypaw asked innocently. "She's not even the leader."

"I didn't mean any disrespect," I whispered, backing off. I felt my ears grow hot. I'm such a mouse brain! Of course these cats would have different views. What was I thinking? I made myself into a laughing stock.

"No. No." Cinderheart stepped forward. She laid her tail across my shoulders, preventing me from moving. "You're fine," she reasoned. "It's just that... we don't really do that around here. That's all."

"I realize," I said, looking around at the faces around us.

She shot a look at the nearby cats. "Sometimes it's easy to forget that not all cats grew up in a clan." She lifted her tail up and gave me a nudge with her shoulder. Foxleap and Toadstep immediately looked down at their paws. Others looked away, or ducked their heads in embarrassment. Little Cherrypaw just looked confused.

Clan. That word again, yet the images didn't come. No burst of anger or loss of control. Humph. I'm getting used to it. Mother would say these cats have made me soft. First trusting someone to not kill me, then making me forget about my past. 

Oh no! Mother! She's not here! My head snapped up with the realization.

Cinderheart saw my reaction. "Is everything all right, Iceshadow?"

I shook my head. "No, it isn't. Cinderheart, when you saved me, was there another cat?" Confusion clouded her blue eyes. Across the clearing, Jayfeather stepped out of a cave in the rock face. His ears perked in my direction at the sound of my voice.

"Of course. Crowfeather and Heathertail. Don't you remember?"

"Ya, and Whitetail and Weaselfur," Cherrypaw piped in. I could feel my frustration rising. Again I shook my head.

"No," I shook my head even harder, which only made me dizzy. "I mean another cat. One that wasn't...... Windclan." My voice stuck a little as I said that, as if I had a piece of mouse in my throat. "A cat like me."

"No," she said, startled. "There were no other cats." She glanced over at Thornclaw, who had lead the patrol. "Did you see anyone." He shook his head. She glanced back at me. "Why? Did you not come alone?"

I raised my head high. "No. I came with another. One who can not fend for herself." I glanced at Briarlight, then up at Jayfeather. "Thank you for your help, but I have to find her, before anyone else does." I turned towards their camp entrance. "I must travel through your land, but I promise to leave and stay away as soon as I find them." Gingerly I started forward, careful not to tweak my bad leg. Cats parted around me, leaving an open path straight to the bramble tunnel.

"Wait," Cherrypaw squeaked, bounding up to my side. "You can't leave. There's so much you can tell us. More stories like your battle with Windclan. You've been everywhere, and you could teach me and Molepaw so much." I stopped, and glanced down at the young one. A little flicker of warmth stirred in my heart towards the young cat. I stooped down so I was nose to nose with her. She stared back unflinching.

"Yes, I suppose I could teach you, but you have a clan that's taking care of you. This cat, she's all I have and I'm all she has. If we don't take care of each other, who will? We don't have clanmates to feed us and keep us company when we are hurt or alone."

Cherrypaw lowered her eyes. "I'm sorry," she whispered.An odd happiness filled me at her understanding. I found myself touching her head with my nose.

"Thank you," I said back, stepping away. Before I had a chance to get anywhere, though, the paw on my bad leg bumped a pebble. Pain shot through my leg, and I couldn't hold back a yowl. I collapsed in a heap. Anger flashed through me. Why? Why was I so weak? It was pathetic.

"Enough of this talk of leaving," yowled Jayfeather as he bounded down towards me. Another cat followed him down. "You are too hurt to do anything."

"But-," I hissed.

"Jayfeather is correct. You must stay here, Iceshadow," the cat behind Jayfeather called. His bright, flame colored pelt flashed in the sunlight as he leaped down with Jayfeather to land next to me. He stepped forward, forest green eyes sparkling. "We will look for your friend while you heal. I promise."

I was frozen in place. Neither Cherrypaw, nor Briarlight had introduced me to this cat, yet I knew him like the back of my paw. Firestar, leader of Thunderclan.

Memories washed over me like a flood, blotting out the living cats around me. I was back in that forest on the other side of the mountains. All around me cats were writhing in battle. Blood spilling. Claws flashing. Cats dying. Despite my small size, I raked my claws across a full grown tom's throat, killing him. Daintily, I leaped over the body and looked for new opponent. Blood pounded in my veins, and adrenaline geared me on. I slashed at another cat, then disappeared into the fray to confuse it. Then I attacked again and again until the cat eventually fled back into the woods.

"He's here," hissed the cat next to me. My clanmate. I turned and looked. There, flame colored pelt all blood soaked, stood the cat we were ordered to beware. The cat my father warned me about. The cat I was told to kill. Firestar.

"No," I breathed as he towered over our fallen leader's body. "He killed him!"

                                                                                         *******

I fainted. Jayfeather jumped to my side as I lay there unconscious. "What happened," Firestar asked in a worried voice. "Is she okay."

Jayfeather gave my pelt a few sniffs. "She just fainted. The pain must have been too much. She shouldn't have been out for so long."

Firestar nodded. "All right. I'll help you get her back to the medicine den. In the meantime, Brackenfur, go lead a patrol out to the Windclan border. See if you can find her friend." Brackenfur nodded and padded off to the warriors den to gather some cats.

With a little help from Dovewing, they pulled me up onto Firestar's shoulders. "Stupid furball," Jayfeather muttered. "She should know when she's in danger of getting hurt worse."

__________________________________________________________________________

Iceshadow knows Firestar? Firestar killed her leader? She had a clanmate? What?!

Any clue where this traveler came from?

-Icy