A Killer

(Iceshadow's POV)

I don't know what came over me. Why did I try to save Firestar's life? Letting the fox take him would have been a perfect way to get rid of all my problems. The last cat with a link to all of my horrible memories would have been destroyed. My father would have been proud of me for once.

But I couldn't have let him die. Something inside me wouldn't let me. And to think, I felt a surge happiness that I had saved him. But only for a moment. Now he knows. Now they all will know. It's not like I could have stayed for much longer, mother or no mother. I felt claws close around my heart at the thought of leaving this place and the many cats who had been so kind. I thought of Cherrypaw, of Briarlight and Jayfeather. Cinderheart to. They'll hate me now. 

Oh well. It's not like I haven't lost cats I've cared about before.

Firestar and Ivypool "escorted" me back to camp. Both pressed closely to either side of me, as if they thought I'd run. They didn't realize I could overpower the both of them and just go on my way. Ivypool had Spiderleg slung over her shoulders. His breathing was shallow, but so were his wounds.

When we stepped back into camp and everyone saw us, cats swarmed around us. Their questions came so fast it hurt my ears. "What happened? What's with all that blood? Is Spideleg Ok?" Cinderheart and Cherrypaw pushed their way towards the front of the crowd. "Who's blood is that," Cinderheart asked me. My throat burned. I couldn't have told her even if Firestar had let me.

Instead, he dismissed the cats around us with a flick of his tail. Then he turned toward Ivypool. "Take Spiderleg to the medicine cat's den, and tell Jayfeather to come to my den as soon as he can." He looked me in the eye. "You're coming with me."

I nodded. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of letting him hear my voice crack with fear. Because that's all I felt. Fear. Fear of being surrounded by battle trained cats whose leader killed my leader, hated my father, and now sees me as a threat.

My claws clicked in and out. If things turned nasty, I'd at least shed a little blood before they took me down. OF that much, I was certain.

 On heavy paws, I followed him up the rocks, away from a confused Cinderheart and Cherrypaw. He stopped at his caves entrance. With a tilt of his head, he ushered me inside. Brambleclaw was already waiting within. His amber gaze penetrated the darkness as Firestar slipped in behind me. "What is going on," he asked.

The light in the cave flickered as Jayfeather entered. "What on earth where you doing out there, Firestar," he exclaimed. "Spiderleg is completely knocked out, and Ivypool is missing chunks of fur."

 He faced me. I looked down. "I know," I said. "I must look a mess."

"How should I know," he spat. "I'm blind." 

Blind?  Everything about his behavior made sense now. How could I have not figured it out?

"We were attacked by a fox," Firestar's words interrupted my thoughts. "A fox that Iceshadow killed single-pawed." I felt my ears grow hot as the two tom's eyes widened.

Firestar's gaze stared me down. "Why don't you tell more about what you told me in the woods. It's time we know the truth."

I sighed and looked at each in turn, ending with Firestar. His steely gaze was more than enough to bring back the painful memories. I could barely keep my claws sheathed at the rush of them.

                                                                                          ***

I was born when Tigerstar, my father, was still part of Thunderclan and Brokenstar ruled Shadowclan. Back then, I only went by the name of Ice. Sasha was a good mother. She kept me hidden from her twoleg in its garden. She would tell me about Tigerstar and the clans. Of the warrior code and the amazing wildcats living on the other side of the fence.