A Deal

Firestar is here, on the other side of the mountains. I should have known when they said this was Thunderclan. I'm such a fool. Of course, mother said they left when the forest was destroyed but it never occurred to me that they'd be here.

Or that the old flea bag was still alive.

Of course! The mountain tribe! They said kind cats who helped them passed through many moons ago to find a new home and settled by the lake. These were those cats. Why didn't I put it together? I usually pick up on those kind of things easily. I really am a mouse brain, sleeping in the belly of the beast. But there was nothing I could do. Jayfeather was right. I'm still too injured.

I lay there in my moss bedding  days later, injured leg and tail stretched out. Waiting. Jayfeather stepped into the den. Me and Briarlight lifted our heads. Please let it be good news. He glanced over to me and shook his head.

"I'm sorry. She's not on our territory. Firestar spoke to Onestar as well. Windclan scoured their territory the day you showed up but found no other cats." I lowered my head, somewhat relieved, somewhat afraid. Firestar didn't know me, so he had no reason to lie. She got out somehow. She realized I couldn't come back. But where was she, and was she alright?

Briarlight dragged herself over beside me. "It will be alright," she murmered. "We'll find her and get you back into top health. I promise."

"Thanks," I said as I sat up. These cats meant well. Along with little Cherrypaw, they were the closest things I had to friendship, and yet they followed Firestar. The cat my father told me was evil. The cat he said was the source of our family's problems. Of course, that was before my father was killed.

"Come on," Jayfeather said, nudging me to my feet. "It's time you walked around the camp again. Exercise is the best way to heal that leg." It ached a little, but it had stopped shaking.

"All right, all right. Keep your tail on," I huffed and limped my way outside. Few cats were in the hollow. Most had left on hunting or border patrols. Clouds blotted out the sky. Thunder rumbled in the distance, foretelling rain. Looked like I wouldn't be outside for long.

Cherrypaw looked up from the thrush she was sharing with her brother and saw me. "You're out," she squealed, leaping up and dashing towards me. Her brother, on the other hand, turned the other way when he saw me. He padded across the clearing towards the elder's den. I tipped my head in thought. So Cherrypaw was the brave one, but he was clearly the wise one. It was obvious he knew better than to risk it with a strange cat like me. How much did he know?

My thoughts were interrupted by Cherrypaw landing on my back, knocking me clean over. "Got you," she giggled. "You should know better than to get distracted on enemy territory."

A meow of laughter escaped my lips as I rolled over. She fell off with a cry. "Oh, but I thought you said we could be friends? After all, I am your medicine cat's patient."

She batted me with a paw, claws sheathed. "You're still a rogue, and an enemy of Thunderclan." With that, she dropped into a crouch.

"You two play like kits," Briarlight said next to me. I practically jumped out of my fur. I didn't realize she had dragged herself out after me.

"Nuh uh," Cherrypaw said, straightening up. "I'm testing the moves Foxleap taught me." At that, me and Briarlight broke into laughter. Cherrypaw visibly drooped. "But I am."

I flicked my ears at Briarlight. "Why don't you join us? The more the merrier." Her eyes widened.

"Not right now. Briarlight you have to do your exercises," Jayfeather interrupted, rolling a ball of moss out of his den towards us. "Cherrypaw, make yourself useful and make sure Iceshadow walks around the camp a couple of times okay." He turned his attention back to Briarlight.

"Go on ahead you guys," she said, pawing the ball closer.

Cherrypaw huffed a little, then shrugged. I stood and followed her beckoning tail. When I looked back, Briarlight was already bouncing the ball back and forth between her front paws.

"Can you tell me another story," Cherrypaw asked as we padded past the apprentice's den. "Or maybe you could show me some of the moves you used to take out those Windclan cats." Her amber eyes shone pleadingly.

I stopped, and Cherrypaw nearly fell over in an attempt to stop herself. I couldn't tell Cherrypaw about my past, could I? Even if she weren't a clan cat, I had never told anyone but mother about what had happened to me. No one, not even the ones who were a part of it. I shook my head in an effort to clear it. I'd just have to show her a battle move instead.

"Alright," I said, moving away from her. "Battle move it is."

She bounced up and down in excitement. "Really that's so cool," she said.

"I used this one against that Weaselfur. First you jump on my back," I said pointing with my tail.
"Okay," she cried crouching down low before leaping into the air. She landed squarely on my back. My body collapsed under her light weight and went limp. Surprised at my sudden lack of fight, her grip loosened. With one quick move I had knocked her off. "Simple as that. An enemy will get cocky or surprised when their prey seems weak. That's when you take them by surprise."

A flash of white caught my eye. Ivypool was sitting across the clearing, watching with squinted eyes. Cherrypaw shook herself off. "Foxleap showed me a move just like that the other day," a hint of confusion appeared in her voice. "That's funny that you would use the same move."

I opened my mouth but had no answer. I knew the same move as clan cats? I was still struggling for an answer when Firestar appeared.

"Cherrypaw, Foxleap is waiting for you at the entrance. You're going hunting." He said, glancing towards her.

"Okay," she said before running off. "See you when I get back Iceshadow."

My fur crawled as Firestar turned to me. It took all my effort to keep my fur lying flat and claws sheathed. id he know how much I didn't like him? How much I wanted to sink my claws into that ginger fur? 

"There's still no sign of your friend, " he said eyeing me closely. Then he glanced down at my leg. "I know you are worried but your leg is almost healed. I wanted to tell you that you can stay as long as you need until your friend shows up."

It suddenly became easier to keep my fur flat. He was offering me a place to stay. At least until Mother showed up. Relief flooded through me. I wouldn't have to worry about leaving and her still being here. 

"On one condition," Firestar added. "You hunt and patrol along with the rest of the warriors, and follow our rules until your off our territory. Agreed?"

I nodded and dipped my head. This cat may make me uncomfortable but I could live with it if it meant finding mother. "Deal."

_____________________________________________________________________

Iceshadow no likey Firestar. What's her deal, and where exactly did she come from? I left a little foreshadowing and a few hints. Any guesses?

-Icy