Chapter 2: The Nightmare

Her step mother handed her a kabob stick with a hot dog on the edge. Who ate this? She thought, disgust clear on her face. They put it on the fire to cook it, everyone's turned out perfect except  for Audrey's. Hers was burned and disgusting, she already lost her appetite just looking at it. Her dad suggested they enjoy the great outdoors and to watch the star, but she deemed it useless staring at the sky and decided to go to bed.

The sleeping bag was extremely uncomfortable. The little stuffing it had was clumped together and was sticking in to her back. She tried every position possible, trying to get comfortable, but having no success she threw herself down and tried to fall asleep. Of course she did not have a peaceful sleep, why would she? 

She had a nightmare, but this was not a normal nightmare, it felt too real for it to just be a nightmare. It began with everything being black, she couldn't see anything. She was laying on the floor, one full of dirt and mud. She got off the floor, her muscles feeling sore, her legs threatening to fail on her. Once she got up and brushed the dirt off her pants a shrill laugh vibrated around the room. Audrey looked around in a haste trying to find where the voice was coming from," h-hello?" She called out, the laughing stopped. "This is what they have to offer?" A deep male voice spoke, the voice was raspy and dry as if they haven't spoken in years," pathetic. You'll be no challenge for me." Audrey tried to reach out and find some walls or maybe a person," who are you?" She asked pinching herself trying to wake up. "Me? Child, I'm your worst nightmare. I'm disappointed you don't know. Ah well the way you've been raised you don't much do you? No matter, you'll find out soon enough. For now I suggest you prepare, time is ticking and I'm beginning to loose my patience." A blazing pain rippled through her body. As if hog irons were taped to her and she couldn't get them off. She cried out in pain and fell to the floor her eyes closing.

She woke with a start sitting up. She still felt the burning but it was fading. Her brother was sleeping next to her, she put her hand on her forehead to find she had a fever and was sweating profusely. She left the tent to get fresh air, she sat down on the grass near the remains of the fire. "It was just a nightmare Audrey. You need to chill out." She whispered to herself. But was it? It felt so real, she could still hear the raspy voice, one that sent shivers down her spine. What was she thinking? That some weirdo was able to transport her somewhere in her sleep. It was just a nightmare, she thought 

"Audrey." A male voice called. She let out a scream and turned around to find it was just her dad looking at her, dressed in a new outfit that consisted of a vest over a bright orange shirt with a bucket hat over his blond hair. "Someone's jumpy." He chuckled. He sat down next to her trying to re-light the fire. "Why are you up so early?" He asked. Audrey who had her arms wrapped around her spoke up still shaken," I had - I had a nightmare." Her dad looked at her with a concerned look," Do you want to talk about it?" Audrey thought about it, by what would she say that she heard a man give her threats and she has a feeling it may be real? He'll just think she's finally gone crazy. "No I'm good." She finally replied.

--------------------------------------------

Was it just a dream?

What do you guys think?

Hi guys, my name is Sara. I'm obviously the author of this story. Please tell me what you think, this is my first book so please bare with any mistakes, I apologize before hand.