Chapter 3

Holy hell. That’s all she was capable of coming up with? Hi, Chase, you look tired?

Zoey's cheeks grew warm, going even hotter when the corners of Chase's Matthews mouth curved into the familiar wry grin that had always melted her insides. But she hadn’t been lying. He did look tired. His hair was still the same shade of black, his eyes still a piercing green, his face had the smoothness of youth, replaced with some small stubble of beard showing on his chin and below his upper lip

Still, he was as gorgeous as ever.

"How’ve you been, Zoey?" he asked softly.

"I’m good." Though she’d probably be a lot better if he wasn’t acting like they were strangers. "What about you?"

"You pretty much called it. I’m tired," he said, shrugging ruefully.

His husky voice sent a flurry of shivers up her spine. God, she missed that voice. When she was 21 years old, that voice was the only thing that helped her survive her parents’ death. Chase's visits to her college dorm had gotten her through those long, empty days. She’d been orphaned, alone and about to testify against a killer. Other teenage girls might’ve cracked under the pressure. Thanks to Chase, Zoey had lived through it.

She met his gaze, impulsively searching those green eyes for a sign that he was remembering their time together, too. That he was thinking about the long heart–to–hearts, the comfortable silences…the explosive kiss they’d shared.

But his eyes were shuttered, the expression on his face all business.

"I’ve been working on the Stain Killer case," he added, weariness filling his features. "To no avail, of course."

Zoey sensed his frustration, and knew where it came from. For months, women in Chicago had been taking extra precautions, determined not to become the next victim of the killer who apparently liked to carve roses into their skins. Having had some firsthand experience with a vicious killer, Zoey understood the urgency Chase felt to catch the monster.

He was good at that. He’d fought her monster, after all.

"Still no new leads in the case?" she asked, hoping he didn’t hear the wobble to her voice.

"None." He sighed. "But we brought in the FBI, so hopefully that will change soon."

She awkwardly played with the hem of her paint–spattered work shirt. "Is that why you came, to tell me about the Stain Killer case?"

Chase shook his head.

Then why are you here? she wanted to shout. And how could he be so calm, standing in front of her like the six months they’d had together hadn’t existed. Like she hadn’t told him she loved him.

Like he hadn’t whipped her heart right back in her face and walked away from her.

Funny thing was, she didn’t even hate him for it. She’d understood his reasons for leaving, even back then. She’d been his star witness. It had been his first case working as the lead detective; her involvement in the case could have cost him his job. His only choice had been to end it before it even began.

What she didn’t understand, however, was why he’d never come back. A year, they could have reconnected then. After all Kuyper was behind bars.

So why hadn’t he come back for her? And why was he here now?

Probably not questions that needed to be asked now, mere minutes into this strange reunion. And fortunately, Chase spoke again before she could blurt out the inappropriate question anyway.

"I’m here about Kuyper" he said roughly.

Her head snapped to attention. "He’s not up for parole, is he? Because that’s ridiculous! He got two life sentences, there’s no way they would parole him after two ye—"

"He escaped from prison last night."

Zoey released a gasp. "What?"

"He escaped. And we know he’s in the city." Chase's green eyes darkened. "And, Zoey, it’s safe to say he’s going to be coming straight for you so he can—"

"Finish the job," she whispered.