Chapter 19

Chase glanced at Zoey in amusement, wishing he had a camera so he could capture the outraged look on her beautiful face. He couldn't stop a chuckle.

Her outrage grew. "And now you're laughing at me!"

"Only because you're saying everything I'd planned to say to you."

She swallowed. "What?"

"I was going to do it in the morning, when I was a little more coherent, but..." The corner of his mouth lifted. "You're right. I do need you. I..." His voice trailed.

"What, Chase? You what?"

"I love you, Zoey."

Chase had never said those three little words to anyone, but the second they exited his mouth he knew without a doubt he was doing-and saying-the right thing. He loved Zoey Brooks. Always had, always would. And it was time to stop being a stubborn jackass and claim what was in front of him.

Almost losing her to Kuyper tonight had snapped a whole lot of sense into him. Sure, his childhood had been beyond crappy. His mother's death and father's imprisonment had screwed him up. Sure, he was a workaholic. He had two friends-his partner and his dog. And he would probably always have a hard time talking about his emotions.

But that didn't mean he couldn't allow himself to be happy. And this beautiful blondhead standing at the foot of his bed...she made him happy.

"You love me?" Zoey echoed softly, a slow smile stretching her lush mouth.

"More than anything." He sighed. "I fought it for years. I thought...you deserved more."

She moved to the side of the bed, sinking down on the mattress and reaching out to stroke his stubble-covered chin. "I deserve you," she corrected. "I want you."

His throat tightened with emotion. "Then you have me. You have all of me"

Hesitation flickered in her gaze. "I'm not too young for you?"

Chase chuckled. "I'm not too old for you?".

She rolled her eyes. "Your 25! 2 years isn't that big of a difference." Zoey smirked. "Especially considering you act like you're five half the time. I've never met anyone more stubborn than you-I mean, you fought your feelings for almost 3 years. Jerk."

A laugh rolled out of his chest, bringing a pang of pain to his side. "I'm sorry," he finally said. "I'm sorry I pushed you away for all those years."

Zoey leaned down and brushed her lips over his. "As long as you're done pushing, you're forgiven."

As she gingerly slid up next to him and pressed her head against his shoulder, Chase experienced a rush of pleasure so intense his vision clouded with tears. God, he loved feeling her body against his, loved the scent of her hair, the sound of her laughter. He loved everything about Zoey.

"I'm so happy it's finally over," she murmured, her warm breath heating his bare skin. "Kuyper is dead. You, me, Rocky, we're all fine. I keep thinking how differently tonight could've ended, if..."

If he hadn't regained consciousness in time. If Zoey hadn't snatched the gun before Kuyper. God, he could've lost her tonight.

He wrapped one arm around her slender shoulder and pulled her closer. "I'm glad it's over, too," he murmured.

She lifted her head, those gorgeous brown eyes searching his face. "But it's not over for us, is it?"

With a soft smile, he brushed his fingers over her lips and murmured, "Oh, no, sweetheart. For us, it's just beginning."

THE END