Chapter 7

Chase showed up in the afternoon, finally putting an end to the anticipation Zoey had been experiencing since the moment he’d left her studio the day before. Last night she’d kept busy, working on one of the paintings for her upcoming show. She’d also attempted to keep herself occupied this morning, even inviting the officer Chase had stationed outside her house in for a cup of coffee. But no amount of activity could distract her from the notion that Chase was officially back in her life.

And now here he was, in her kitchen, after she’d given him a quick tour of the house. She’d felt a spark of pleasure when he complimented her home. She’d bought the small Victorian a year ago, determined to fix it up on her own. The price had been a steal, thanks to the renovations that needed to be done. But Zoey didn’t mind the grunt work. Having lived in the bustle of Chicago’s downtown area almost all her life, Zoey had been excited to move to the sleepy suburbs, and she especially liked the gorgeous ravine that stretched out behind the backyards of the houses on her street.

Her body warmed as Chase glanced around the huge, country–style kitchen, admiring the bright yellow walls. "Did you paint it yourself?" he asked.

She nodded. "I’m planning on doing a mural in here, but I haven’t decided what to paint yet."

A furry body brushed against her leg, and she bent down to pet Chase's golden–haired Lab. Chase had a dog. She still found that little tidbit surprising. He’d always been so reserved. Definitely not the kind of man she pictured lavishing attention on an overexcited pet like Rocky.

"He likes you," Chase remarked, an odd note in his voice.

She glanced up. "Is that a bad thing?"

His throat worked as he swallowed. "Of course not. It’s good, seeing as we’ll be staying with you for a while."

And didn’t he just look thrilled about it. A spark of irritation lit up inside her. Ever since he got here, Chase had been treating her like a random stranger he’d been hired to protect. Like the six months they’d had together had meant nothing to him. Like the kiss they’d shared hadn’t happened. Like—

"Did you even miss me?" she found herself blurting out.

Instantly, her cheeks heated up, making her wish she could take back the spontaneous question.

But to her surprise, her words elicited the first glimmer of emotion she’d seen in his eyes since he’d knocked on her door. Chase's green eyes softened, flickering with unmistakable sadness.

"Yes," he said hoarsely.

Zoey slowly got to her feet, her steps hesitant as she eliminated the distance between them. She paused when they were only a foot away, searching those gorgeous eyes of his, wanting so badly to throw her arms around him. This was the only man she’d ever opened herself up to. The only man who’d ever made her feel…happy. And shockingly, he’d done it at a time when happiness had been in very short supply.

"Yes?" she echoed, pressing her shaky hands to her sides.

He swallowed again, his apple bobbing in his strong, corded throat. "I missed you."

Zoey’s heart did a little somersault. "You could have called."

He shook his head. "That would have been the worst thing I could’ve done, Zoey."

She had no idea what to say to that, so instead she pushed away the pang of pain and said, "I missed you, too. I missed talking with you, and…being with you. I miss it now." Her throat tightened. "I’m glad you’re here, Chase."

Regret filled his gaze. "Don’t."

"Don’t what?"

"I’m only here to protect you. I don’t want you to read anything more into it."

Zoey bristled, but before she could respond, the doorbell chimed. Chase’s shoulders instantly stiffened, his right hand reaching for the gun holstered at his hip. As Rocky began to bark and scurried for the front door, Zoey shot her protector a wry look. "I hardly think Kuyper would ring the doorbell."

She moved for the doorway, but Chase intercepted her. His hand circled her bare arm, sending waves of heat shooting through her body. "I go first," he said gruffly.

Following him to the front hall, Zoey waited by the coat closet and watched as Chase opened the door, holding his gun loosely behind his back. She craned her neck to sneak a peek, and spotted a skinny guy with a FedEx envelope standing on her porch.

"Zoey Brooks?" the courier asked.

"No, but I can sign for it," Chase said. A moment later, he closed the door and turned to face her, holding out the envelope. "Expecting something?"

She slowly shook her head and accepted the envelope. As she tore it open, the image of her latest painting suddenly filled her brain, and an ominous rush of dread washed over her. The hairs at the back of her neck stood up, tingling, as she removed a single sheet of paper from the envelope.

Zoey stared at the words scrawled on the page. She felt all the color seep out of her face, and then the paper fell out of her hands. As it fluttered down to the hardwood floor, she closed her eyes and whispered, "Oh, God."