VI ■ Escape 2.0

"I dinna know what yer up tae Lassie, but I certainly dinna trust ye."

Fergus McTavish, the large, red headed Scotsman sat across from me on one of the leather chairs in the library. All six foot three of him was clad in a dark blue and golden plaid kilt along with a denim shirt and black leather jacket. He had been spinning the hilt of his highland sword-- lord only knows why he needed such a thing-- but at the mention of me suddenly wanting to find Gabriel, he sent a suspicious glare.

"This wouldna hae anything tae dae wi' the full moon 'n' ye tryna trick the King, would it?"

Slowly raising my copy of George Orwell's 1984 above my eyebrows, I rolled my eyes before huffing slightly in frustration. How the big oaf always seemed to know what I was thinking, before I was even thinking it, was beyond me.

"Of course not," I lied as I gently set the book back down in my lap. "It's been about three weeks now since the King brought me here, and I just thought it might be interesting to see what he does all day," I explained, giving a simple shrug of my shoulders.

Sending a quick convincing smile, I couldn't help but hold my breath as I waited for his answer. With high set cheekbones and shoulder length hair that could make any girl swoon, the Royal Beta was in fact quite handsome-- and unfortunately for me, he was just as smart. Just when I was absolutely positive that he was about to say no, he surprisingly stood up from his chair.

"Weel then by al' means, Yer Ladyship, follow me."

I trailed silently behind Fergus, a smug look playing across my features. Since my last escape attempt, a little less than two weeks ago, I had been assigned my own prison warden-- I mean, personal guard. I could lie and say that I was less than enthusiastic about my current situation, but the truth was, the sarcastic, obnoxious Scot, was actually starting to grow on me. Too bad I was going to have to drug him later in order to escape from the castle.

As we neared Gabriel's office, I nervously began wringing my hands. His scent was intoxicating and as flash backs of this morning's incident in the bathroom racked my brain, I was beginning to think that maybe this was a bad idea.

For fuck's sake, I shook my head in disgust with a roll of my eyes. This wasn't me, I wasn't some gutless, nervous wreck. I was one sexy, self proclaimed bad ass! And I'd be damned if I didn't get what I want.

Suddenly Fergus' large hand rapped against the mahagongy bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Come in."

Butterflies swarmed my stomach as Gabriel's voice called from the other side. I gulped as Fergus swung the door open, glancing back at him cautiously before slipping underneath his arm and entering the study. With my eyes, I pleaded for him to come in with me-- but apparently he didn't catch the memo. I was on my own now, and I could only hope things wouldn't get as heated between me and the Alpha King as they had this morning.

"Alexis?"

Gabriel couldn't hide the excitement from his voice, or the smile that grew across his face at the sight of me. As his bright blue eyes gazed upwards, searching my face, he seemed extremely hopeful. Hopeful that I was finally starting to come around. Hopeful that I was finally going to be his Luna--

And I felt terrible.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" he asked, quickly getting up from his seat. The smile on his face widened as I moved closer towards him.

"Well, I uh--"

At a mediocre five foot-eight, I rarely had to look up at anyone throughout my life. But with Gabriel, I actually had to raise my chin quite a bit just to look him in the eye.