VII ■ Willie's Potions

"Oh my! Little Lexi. What do we have here?"

I jumped back with a slight scream as the pale moon light illuminated her face. My hand almost immediately clamped over my mouth, but it was already too late. The yaps and howls that had been heading in the opposite direction, we're now turned tail and heading towards me.

"I don't think that deer urine is going to help you anymore," she smiled, gesturing down to my closed fist. "Perhaps it would be wise of you to follow me."

A lone, thick braid swung back and forth wildly as she ambled towards a small clearing in the forest. The rest of her unruly, frizzed out auburn curls, were pinned back in an attempt to somewhat control them, but something told me, nothing ever truly controlled this woman. When I didn't follow right away, dark eyes framed by perfectly, arched brows, turned to study me before looking off into the distance.

"It's up to you, Lexi dear," she shrugged before turning back towards the glade. "But I'd say you have less that ten minutes before they are upon you."

I hesitated for a moment as I glanced around. The woods sure could be a scary place at night, out here, all alone--

"My name isn't Lexi," I stated, a twig snapping somewhere close behind me-- way too close, in my opinion.

I rushed to catch up with her before continuing. "It's Alexis. And how did you know this was deer pee, anyways?" I asked, giving the small bottle a little shake.

"I know lots of things," she simply replied, her smile reminding me of the Cheshire cat.

I was certain that was a line straight out of the Serial Killer's Guide for Dummies, and visions of the Royal guard finding my dismembered body suddenly flashed in my head. Maybe following this woman, who just so happened to be out in the middle of the woods at the same time as me, wasn't the greatest idea I'd ever had-- but a horrific howl near by had me quickly shoving those thoughts away.

"The name's Willie, by the way. Wilhelmina Umbridge," she introduced herself. "And once we get to where we're going, you won't have to worry any more."

"Worry?" I wasn't worried, but maybe I should've been. I'd read about people like her, mass murderers posing as innocent old woman, luring young girls into their homes--

"What do you mean?" I asked, hoping for a little clarification.

Willie laughed before answering, the noise similar to a hyena's cackle.

"Silly girl, I know who you're running from!" she exclaimed. "But don't worry, they aren't able to get on my land. No werewolf can."

I took a nervous glup, but continued to trail slowly behind her. I might not have been a beast, but I wasn't exactly human either.

Soon enough, a quaint, little cottage came into view. It looked warm and inviting, with lacy drapes in the window, and tiny, gray puffs of smoke blowing out the chimney. It certainly didn't resemble the Bate's Motel or anything.

As I gazed at the still, glassy pond located behind the cabin, only then did I notice the vines of wolfsbane growing along the edge of the property. It was an almost invisible line, and I had already crossed it.

"See? I told you not to worry."

Nodding my head, I followed Willie into her dimly lit home. She had such a bubbly personality as she turned and offered me a smile. Maybe I had nothing to worry about after all.

As I entered the cabin, it was hard to ignore the large cobwebs that had collected in every corner. Nor the thin layer of dust that coated everything like a fresh wintery snow. Literally hundreds of candle stumps littered the floors, and shiny copper pots and black caldrons crowded every last available space on the counters and table tops.