XIII ■ NYE

"Come on Freddy, I know we can't afford this place." I gave a quick shake of my head as I set the menu down with a heavy sigh. "Seriously, the bill will cost more than half of a month's rent!" I exclaimed.

"Would you just quit worrying that pretty little head of yours," Freddy chuckled as he tossed his arm up around my shoulders. "It's Valentine's Day, and only the best will do for my girl."

A deep blush slowly crept into my cheeks. I always loved it when he referred to me as 'his', and there was no one else in the world who I'd rather belong to.

"You better get looking through that menu and find something you want." Freddy warned as he leaned closer. Brushing my hair back , he left a trail of kisses along the side of my neck. "Or else I'm going to order something you really won't like and make you eat it--" He kissed me again before whispering into my ear, "--all of it."

I smacked Freddy in the chest playfully, as I pulled away laughing. I didn't doubt though, a word that he said. A moment later, we ordered our food and shortly after that, a bottle of wine was delivered to our table. As the waiter pulled the cork, I nervously looked over towards Freddy.

"Oh, no," I quickly shook my head, placing my hand over the mouth of my wine glass. "We didn't, did we?"

As the waiter and I both gave Freddy a confusing look, he laughed slightly before nodding his head.

"It's alright," he told the waiter. "Tonight, we're celebrating."

From out of no where, Freddy suddenly ushered a velveteen box into his hand.

"Alexis--" he paused as my hands flew up to muffle any shrieks of excitement that might escape from my lips. "-- if you'll accept it, I want to offer you this ring as a token of my love."

As he lifted the lid, my eyebrow raised in confusion along with it.

"A-- a token." I repeated the words uncertainly.

"Yeah," he smiled simply, completely oblivious to my disappointment. "You know, like a promise ring."

As I sat waiting for the countdown to begin, I fiddled with the ring still sitting on my finger. Even then I should have seen all of this coming, but I didn't. Goddess, I was such a mindless fool.

Tossing back yet another shot, I watched as the sea of warm bodies surged towards the dance floor.

"3...2...1... Happy New Year!"

At the stroke of midnight, the crowd inside the Beta Night Club roared to life as confetti and money floated down from the ceiling.

"And how come you're not out there with el rest of los locos?"

I could feel the heated gaze of the stranger wash over me as he hovered above my left shoulder. Sneaking a quick peek at the man, I sat back in my seat with a smirk.

"Probably for the same reason you're not," I shrugged.

As he sat down opposite me, I casually checked to make sure Gabriel's mark was still covered up. If I played my cards right, I could at least get a few drinks out of this man.

"Well, that's interesting." He flashed a brilliant white smile before reaching for my hand. "Porque la only reason estoy aquí instead of out ahí, is this sexy little mamacíta."

My cheeks flushed slightly as his lips brushed against my knuckles. There was just something about a sexy, bald man speaking to me in Spanish.

"Me llamo Alejandro," he informed me with great flourish before politely releasing my hand.