XVIII ■ The Breakdown

"Yer Highness!" The peace was short lived as Fergus came bounding down the hall towards us. "Yer Highness. Luna."

The Royal Beta gave a curt nod towards Gabriel and myself before doing a double take at Terry on the floor.

"Ye git caught checking oot her bahooky?" Fergus chuckled before raising a brow at the other man.

As the doctor picked himself up off the floor, he shot daggers at the larger Scotsman.

"No," Terry snapped. "I did not."

If looks could kill, then I had just undoubtly witnessed Terry murder Fergus-- repeatedly. At least any suspicions I'd had about them working together were laid to rest. The two could barely stand to be in the same room with each other, let alone manage to take over an entire hemisphere.

"Weel, guid." Fergus replied. "Cause I'm feart we've git bigger problems at th' moment." With a shake of his head Fergus looked solemnly towards Gabriel. "I forgot aboot th' Summit Meetin'," Fergus explained. "Alpha Jack wull be 'ere in th' morns mornin'."

As I looked questioningly towards Gabriel I could see the look of panic in his eye. "Summit Meeting?"

"Aye, th' meeting' o' th' twa Kings," Fergus answered. "Happens iverie year, 'n' this wis oor turn tae host."

"So call them back and cancel," Terry spoke up.

"N' whit dae ye suggest I say?" Fergus argued.

Drawing himself up to his full height, Gabriel took a step forward. "Nobody, is cancelling anything," he answered decidedly. "The meeting will happen as scheduled."

"Oh really?" Terry snorted. "And where exactly do you plan to conduct business from?" He challenged. "Your room?"

A low rumble sounded from Gabriel's chest as Fergus and I exchanged looks of disbelief. At least this time, his blood wouldn't be on my hands. Then again, it would get all over my hair, and my shoes, my nice white shirt--

"Perhaps we should contact Willie again," I suggested. "Maybe there's a spell or something she could cast that could at least help you get through this."

Fergus agreed. "Na maiter how much I hate th' vile she de'il, th' Luna haes a guid idea."

"And I suppose you'll be insisting on going yourself?"

I nodded before answering him. "We don't have a whole lot of time," I said. "If I leave now, I can be back before dark."

I could see the apprehension on his face, the way his shoulders straightened and his body tensed. He was probably still worried I would run from him. That was on me. But honestly it couldn't be farther from the truth.

With a wink and a smile, I planted a kiss on his cheek. "I'll be back before you know it," I promised. "Everything will be ok."

*
**
***

A few hours later-- I was not ok.

I had promised Gabriel I'd be back before dark, but as the shadows along the forest floor began to lengthen, I still hadn't a clue where I was, or which direction I was going. What was I even thinking coming out here on my own? I was lost as hell, cold as fuck, and pretty damn sure a snow storm was nipping at my heels.

Not to mention, you can't track for shit.

The furry little dictator and I, had been silently arguing for hours.

If you just let me out, she insisted, my fur will keep us both warm.

I snorted in response. No way was I falling for that one.