Prologue

Prologue

School was a routine. That was the best way I could describe it. Routine orientated. I woke up. I got ready. I walked to school. I sat in class. I talked to my friends, of which I had little. I ate lunch. I studied in my free periods. I got a ride home afterwards. It was a routine that I never broke. And it was boring. I wished there were more to it. I wished there were some kind of exciting romance in the halls. Anything. I wanted him to notice me, Zayn Malik, but he wouldn’t. He was too busy with his abundance of pals. He would never have his eyes caught by a lad like myself. I was just awkward. I was that quiet, too quiet, always studying, and routine stuck, Irish kid. 

"Niall... Earth to Niall." I shook my head and came back to reality where my friend Chad was pokin my side. I laughed instantly because my side was extremely ticklish. I turned towards Chad and he was pouting. "Where do you go?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at my friend. 

"When you're spaced out like that. Where does your mind go?" He asked. 

"Day dreaming." I sighed, my chin falling into my palms and my elbows on the desk in front of me. We were given free time to work on course work, but I’d already done the reading and work.

"Day dreaming about what? Or should I say who?" Chad nodded his head towards a certain someone in the front of the room. He was sitting there, his hair in a perfect frontal flip. Thick eyelashes framed his brown eyes. Tan skin. Perfect.

 Zayn. 

"Shut up. I am not" I was.

I have had this crush on Zayn that was a little odd. After all, I was a guy and he was a guy as well. I knew I should have fancied girls, but I wasn’t interested. There was something about men that I found so attractive. Well, they were less of a hassle than women. Men were just easier; having a relationship with one on the other hand was not. I’ve been single my whole life. It hadn’t been a problem until then where I found myself yearning for some sort of contact. I wanted romance. I wanted that feeling of my chest tightening when he kissed me.

Mostly, I wanted it all from Zayn. He was truly beautiful and everyone loved him. He had a bunch of friends. He was very sensible as far as I could tell. He was just the best person out there.

He would never notice me. Why would he? I was nothing. No one would have missed me if I were gone, well, except Chad. Zayn sure wouldn’t even bat a beautiful eyelash if I had suddenly disappeared.

”Niall, quit zoning out man. Now what's the answer to number five?" I rolled my eyes and just gave him the answer even though I knew he knew the solution. Chad was smart. He could figure out the answer on his own, but he was lazy. He thanked me for the answer and I rolled my eyes again, laying my head down on my desk. Yet another boring day at a boring high school. Why wouldn’t anything exciting happen?

The rest of the day continued on at a slow pace. When it came time to go home after school let out, I decided to take things a different route. I broke routine and walked back home instead of hitching a ride with Chad. “It’s not a far walk, plus the weather is great.” Chad and I stood outside and we both looked into the sky. Sure, above our heads there were clear skies and sun, but off in the distance the sky was darkened with clouds and rain was sure to come our way.