Chapter 4

( Zayn's POV)

"Zayn, honey? You're going to be late for school!"

I heard me mother call from the downstairs of our house. I snuggled deeper into my blankets and pillows. I hadn't slept well at all for the past week. Honestly, I felt sick. I felt disgustingly sick. I had felt that way ever since the other week where Niall touched my arm. That was all it took, really. Just a simple touch. It was strange though this time around. I actually felt Niall's fingertips. They were cold and they were definitely there. They felt real.

But they couldn't be real, could they?

Niall was dead. He had fallen to his death in the park a few blocks from my home. He was not coming back and that thought made me shiver. Why was his death affecting me so much? It was all so confusing. "Nghnnn..." I grumbled and rolled over in my bed, stretching my arm out and looking at the spot where Niall touched me. I floated my fingers over the area and closed my eyes.

"Please someone help me get out of this place."

I cringed when a flood of emotions inundated my head. He was calling out to me. Even from that long of a distance away from the school, he was calling out to me. I wish I couldn't hear him so clearly. My head my pounding.

"Zayn! Get out of that bed and get ready for school!"

I groaned and pulled my pillow over my head to block out my mothers yelling. I needed to block out the noise. It was getting to be too much.

"Please help me Zayn."

"Zayn get up right now!"

"Zayn!"

"Zayn!"

"ZAYN!"

"Alright! I'm up!" I threw my pillow off my head and tore my blankets from my sweating body. I grabbed some clothes from my closet and dragged myself into the bathroom for a morning shower. I kept the water cold to ease my nerves and calm down my overreacting body. I had never felt this way with a spirit around not even when my father passed trough me at the end of his journey. Niall sure was something else.

I threw my clothes on after my shower and headed downstairs. My mother was in the kitchen, standing near the breakfast bar. She pushed a plate of toast and jam in my direction and a glass of orange juice.

"Thanks mum." I placed the toast between my teeth and was ready to head out the door to school, but she stopped me with a concerned lol on her face.

"Is everything alright?" She asked, strumming her fingers against the countertop.

"Yeah." I chewed on the toast and licked my fingers clean once I was done. I was going to keep Niall's spirit a secret for now. There was no reason to bring up my special "gift" in conversation, especially after years of no encounters. She would have too many questions and I was already busy answering Niall's.

"Okay." My mother finally said. her face still showed that she was concerned but at least she was going to drop the subject for now. "Go on. Get to school." She shooed me out the door. I slowly walked to my car, not really wanting to go to school. Niall had been silent over the past few days, only showing his face once and asking a few whispered questions here or there. He definitely wasn't as energetic as he was when he first showed up. I just assumed that his spirit needed to recharge after all the energy he spent. Though, after this morning where his calls were so loud, I half expected him to be all over the place as soon as I stepped into the school.

I was mistaken for the most part. Niall was silent, but he was still visible in his seat in the back of class. I was all about giving him a day to himself. That meant I was given a day to myself. No distractions. No paranormal shit going on in my life. It would just be a normal day for a normal teenager.