Chapter 14

(Chad’s POV)

Niall is dead. I get that, but I didn’t need everyone reminding me that he was. Especially not Louis Tomlinson. When he approached me in the hallway I just thought that he wanted to finish up our conversation that he had started earlier about Mr. Tanner. Mr. Tanner was a nice guy, a little on the older side, but he was still nice. That’s more than I could say about others. He had helped me a lot with my problems. He knew these things about Niall that made me smile in remembrance. I guess it was just nice to know that someone else was there to talk to me about my now gone best friend.

Louis Tomlinson was interested in my friendship with the substitute teacher. I let him know everything I knew about Mr. Tanner, hoping that would get Louis away from me. Mr. Tanner was a normal guy, quiet, very smart, he worked part time at an animal clinic. He had a dog that I had gotten the chance to meet when I had helped Mr. Tanner with some fall cleanup at his house last fall. People would think it was creepy that an older man like Mr. Tanner was hanging around a highschooler. My parents kept telling me to find friends my own age, but it was just easier with my teacher. He always seemed eager to spend time with me, and boy did I need it.

Things were strange lately. Things were very strange. The hairs on the back of my neck would rise and my body would shiver for no reason. People acted differently around me, including Louis Tomlinson. I always saw Louis in the halls. He would hang out with Zayn, and after being friends with Niall for so long, I guess I always kept a look out for Zayn too, and in turn, Louis. Louis was the class clown, always seeking attention. That was the complete opposite from me. I was just there, the lonely teen with only a teacher as a friend.

Well, back to when Louis walked up to me in the hallway. He was rambling on as I only half listened. He was different this time around, more reserved. I would say that ‘stiff’ correctly explained his presence. “Okay, here it goes-“ He said quickly.  I watched as he searched for his words. “I’m still here.”

Those words. I’ve heard them before and I didn’t think that I would hear them at school. They struck me as odd, but I knew there was truth behind them. “What?” I chose to shake off my uneasy feeling and ignore it. “I don’t have time for this.” I was going to be late to class and I had promised Mr. Tanner that I would show up early so that I could hand out papers.  I huffed and began to walk off, but Louis caught me before I could get away. His grip was tight and hurt immensely. It loosened when I blew up in his face, asking what his deal was.

“Let me rephrase. It’s me. I’m in here. It’s Niall.” Louis spoke as though he were struggling to breath. I sighed internally. This was getting really old. Not only was I getting this at home, but at school as well.  Louis continued, this time not struggling as hard with his words, but still sounding a little off. “ I-I stayed behind. I had some… unfinished business.”

I grumbled and stepped forward, standing up to a guy like Louis Tomlinson. I was much taller than him, so my height gave me a slight advantage. “You’ve got to be kidding me. You know what?” I raised my voice, staring him straight in the eyes. They were a dark shade of blue, similar to… No. “I’ve come to terms with Niall’s death. I can handle that my best friend it dead and that he isn’t coming back, but this-“ I couldn’t stop the tears falling from my eyes and down my cheeks. My emotions were running rampant. “This is by far the worst-“ After more throaty yells at Louis, I reared my arm back and flung my fist into his face, hearing a satisfying crack. He fell back, landing hard on the ground and I was free to walk away.

“Sorry I’m late, Mr. Tanner.” I walked into the classroom as the bell rang. Other students were sitting down already and chatting away. Some looked up at me and whispered things back and forth. Word travels fast in the school when you punch someone in the face. So much for being early. I groaned. “Do you still need me to hand out papers?” I asked, setting my things down on the first desk in the room.