Chapter 12

(Zayn’s POV)

The feeling of tugging Niall down the hallway from the lunchroom made my heart pound. I wasn’t sure what I was doing, but I knew that I had to make my move before it was too late. Well, it was already too late for Niall, but I could still see him. I could still hear him. I could still feel him.

“Why are we here?” Niall asked me. He looked around the physics room and then stepped back away from me. Words rushed from my mouth and my hands clasped tightly onto his shirt. My lips twitched and my heart pounded heavily in my chest. If I was going to do this, I was going to do it right. My lips smashed to Niall’s and a spark ran through me.

I’ve always seen you, but never noticed you. And for that, I’m sorry. I’m sorry that you died, but I promised to make this better. I promise. I stayed silent as Niall’s face lit up red and he stammered his way through his words. We talked about how it was too late and I hated the dull mood in the room, but there was nothing we could do about it. What was harmless about a little kiss? This wouldn’t go further than it already had, it couldn’t. He was dead. I was alive. We lived in the worst of circumstances.

Louis had stepped into the room and I glanced over at Niall quickly, seeing him shocked to see my friend in the room. Louis looked uneasy. “Hey, what are you doing in here? I was looking all over for you.” He stepped forward, almost walking completely through Niall. I stifled a laugh at Niall’s expression.  

"I had to get away for a second. People start to think you're crazy when you are talking to someone who isn't there." I rolled a finger near the side of my head and sighed, letting my breath come out as a constrained chuckle.

"H-he's in here?" Louis stuttered out. He was backing his way up to the door and looking around the room, searching for Niall. I merely pointed over to Niall. Niall greeted Louis warily and I let Louis know of his presence in the room. “Don’t worry, he’s harmless.”

"So you say. The kid was practically in love with you."

I was taken back by Louis’ words and thought back to when I had been with Niall in the ravine the night of the full moon. He had said something about people knowing that he liked me. I guess it was true after all. Niall Horan really did have a crush on me. And I had just kissed him. I ran my tongue over my lips and savored the ghostly taste of Niall’s. Maybe I liked him back. I was definitely attracted to him, even though he was dead. His hair was a beautiful shade of blonde with brown roots. I imagined it being even brighter when he was alive. I wished that I had any sort of memory of him from before, but sadly, I just never paid much attention.

“So?” I said suddenly. Niall watched me carefully. I glanced over at him and my lips twitched into a small smile.

"It's kind of weird, man." Leave it to Louis to think that was the only weird thing going on. That another by had fancied me and I wasn’t too surprised with it. I liked both sexes. Really, it didn’t matter. As long as I knew I was attracted to the person, it didn’t matter if they had a certain body part or not. "Alright, whatever." Louis said, waving his hand in the air like an idiot. "So I found some things out about Chad."

I had asked Louis to talk to Chad back in the cafeteria and find out some stuff about Mr. Tanner. I had seen Chad around the creepy teacher from time to time and he seemed to be getting attached to him. I worried for Chad because the prime suspect in my little investigation of Niall’s death was this Tanner guy. He had a dog. He walked the path a lot, and he had been acting strangely towards Chad who had been Niall’s best friend. If I could just find the necklace on him, I could point the police in his direction and get that man behind bars. It had almost been a year since Niall’s death and they had just called it off as an accident. It wasn’t an accident. They needed to know that and I was willing to do anything to make things right.