Chapter 11

I press the call button. 'It has to work.'

After 3 rings, a small but gruff voice answers, "Hello?"

"WIL!?!"

"Teds? Whose phone are you using?  It came up as an unknown number."

"Oh thank god!  It's mine, mother was here and threatened me about contacting you, but I just had to!  I need you to be safe, don't anger her and dad.  I'll call whenever I can.  I'll find ways, I promise!"

"What are you talking about?"

"Mother.  She's at it again, and I have the bruise on my face to prove it."

"What!?"  I can practically hear his fists clench in anger.

"It's fine Wil, just promise me you'll stay safe."

"I'll try my best."

"Good." A warm tear falls down my face as I remember all the beatings, bruises, and cracked bones we endured as children.  "II have to go now.  I love you."

"I love you too.  Call me whenever possible."  His voice sounds as if he's trying not to cry.

"I will.  I promise."  And with that I hang up.  My mind is buzzing and my hands trembling.  I need to calm down.  One thought now screams louder than the rest, 'smoke.'

I walk into my bedroom and directly over to my desk.  On it sits a small set of blue plastic drawers, and in the middle one is a pack of Winston reds, short.

I hesitate before grabbing one and a lighter and heading out to the balcony.  It has been months since I've had one, Addie hates it.  'I shouldn't do this'.  

I know that smoking kills, and I know that it's hell on your lungs, and I know all the cancer statistics, but at this point in time I just don't care.  I flip open the zippo and just stare at the flame before I close it again.  'Don't do this Teddy.'  I place the cigarette between my lips and flip the lighter again, this time actually lighting the cancer stick.

The inhale burns my throat, and I find myself in a coughing fit.  'Alright, lets try this again.'  This time I just draw the smoke into my mouth and hold it.  After a few more drags, I finally find the courage to swallow the smoke.  And after two true drags, my cerebral cortex is gone, and I am slumped in the deck chair.  'Hello nicotine high, my old friend.'