III

III

       I woke to the sound of someone yelling, "Land Ahoy!" The noise of running thundered above me. I got up and stretched, then walked quietly toward the ramp to see a closed wooden door at the top. After finishing an apple I had grabbed from one of the food barrels, I walked to where the wooden door was. I peeked through a crack in between two boards and saw the deck full of many, many men. There must've been at least seventy of them. That dirty old English lied, now it'll be even more difficult! I thought angrily.

I was pulled out of my little tantrum when I heard a man approaching the door. In a second I was hidden in the nearest corner. After all, I was called 'The Silent Thief'. A kind of ridiculous name if you ask me.

The man came into the room and went to a few barrels near the back. While he searched for what he needed, I dashed up the ramp and through the door, then jumped to my left seeing there was a staircase there. I acknowledged it as the staircase that led up to the captain's quarters. I waited a while, and just as I had estimated, the ship dropped anchor and the captain came out of his room. He started to descend, and when he came to the spot directly above me, he stopped. It felt like my heart had too.

A young man ran up and spoke to the captain saying, "It doesn't seem that there be any habitants here. We can dock for the night just as you asked, Captain."

"Tell the men to take the supplies to a camping area. I'll be with you shortly," the Captain replied. His voice was deep and strong and had confidence behind it, like a Captain who was well experienced. I guessed he was well into his forties or so. The young man hurried off barking orders here and there, but I wasn't paying attention to him. I was more focused on what the captain would do, and still holding my breath not knowing why I was so worried. I had never been caught before, and I wasn't about to be. "Sir William," The Captain called. I let out a little breath. Before I knew it, a very familiar English man walked up.

"Aye, Captain?" Sir William answered.

"When we are on land, you are sure that your suspicions are true?" The captain asked.

At this point, I was confused and angry at the same time.

"Yes Captain, which is why we must leave so our little friend may come out to meet us," Sir William replied in his cheap humor.

I wanted to strangle him so badly. He had obviously set me up for some reason. Sir William was my employer.

*******

       Fine, if they wish to catch me or whatever they may be planning, it will never happen! I thought angrily to myself. It seems like they have abandoned the ship just for me to come out. Ha! How dumb do they think I am? I'll just steal some gold and escape," I thought picking the lock to the Captain's chambers. I heard a satisfying click, and the door creaked open. Once inside, I scanned the room. There was a marble table in the center with beautiful chairs around it. A map hung on one wall, and paintings covered the others. A bed was in one corner, and beside it, a door leading to probably what I was looking for. I walked to that door, passing the beautiful chairs and running a finger across the tops of each one. Silver coated, it seemed, yet too large to take with.

The door opened with ease and I was a little surprised that it wasn't locked. I thought that maybe it wasn't the treasure room, but quickly changed my mind once I stepped in. The room was full of treasure.

"Ah, the British have been naughty haven't they?" I said looking around. I grabbed a sack full of gold and reached inside, letting the gold coins slip through my fingers. My plan was to escape with the ship and leave the British snobs on that island, but unfortunately I realized I would need at least twenty men to help me sail it. The other, slightly kinder side of me knew I couldn't be that cruel to let those men starve to death. So my other plan, which was probably bazaar, was to take a row boat. Even though I had a large chance of dying if I did so, at least I would know that all of those Brits didn't.

I walked out of the room with a little skip in my step and started to open the captain's door, but stopped when my hand was about an inch from it. Beginning to know something was not right; the doors instantly burst open to reveal Sir William, the Captain, and every single crew member standing in front of me. All of them had either swords or guns pointed at me.

"Hello, mate." Sir William nodded. That was the last thing I heard as I was so angry I didn't even see the end of the gun flying toward my head. Everything went black.

*******

I hope I get a comment or a vote soon. Thank you so much to the people that are reading my book.

At the top is a picture of the captain's room. It's not exactly what it looks like, but it was the closest thing I could find.