XXI

XXI

"It was fine, I guess," I answered my father.

"Come, let's go inside to talk," he invited me.

"Is Jake here?"

"I compelled him to stay put because of his wounds. Hopefully, we'll have the time now to listen to his story of what happened," my father said as we approached the door to my room.

He opened the door for me. Jake was lying on his back in the bed staring at the ceiling. He seemed utterly bored. When he heard us walk in, he sat up and I winced. Since this morning his face seemed to get puffier and rather large.

"Don't you know to put ice on a bruise to keep it from swelling so large? You look like a sack of potatoes, Jake," I said going to his side. I pulled a chair beside him and sat.

"Why, thank you Grace for your input and no, I didn't know that," he replied in an aggravated tone.

"Well you are rather cranky. Maybe-" I put the back of my hand to his forehead. "I see. I would be cranky too if my face was as huge as a cannonball, and I was suffering from a fever."

He let out a sigh making me feel sorry for him.

My father sat down then said, "Tell us what happened, Jake. Probably by the time you finish your story, the food will be here."

"Alright, if it takes my mind off my pain," he complained. He began his story, "Well after your father asked me to get you a shirt, I went out to find a shop that sold one. It was getting late and I wasn't sure if a shop would be open. Then an African man approached me and asked what I was lookin' for. I said a shirt and he told me to follow him, little did I know that he would rob me later. He was by himself and he wasn't a very large man so I figured if he wanted to harm me I could defend meself just fine."

"Jake, how foolish of you," I teased him.

He held up his hand to stop me from speaking. "Let me finish."

"Alright, sorry," I apologized grinning.

"So the African man did in fact, take me to a store that sold shirts. I bought one with the money I had on me and out of nowhere came five other men. I knew immediately that they wanted to rob me so I fought 'em. I'd bet they're in a worse state than me right now."

My father chuckled. "Bragging on ourselves are we now?"

"It's true, John. They weren't very good fighters or robbers, but few moments they managed to strike some lucky blows to me."

"I'm glad you're ok though," I sincerely said.

A couple knocks at the door came a few seconds later. I opened it to see the same helpful African ladies. They held a platter of food and I was expecting them to eat with us because of the amount. After my father paid them, they left and I went on about how much food it was.

Jake stopped me by saying, "Grace, you've never seen me eat when I'm hungry."

That concluded that.

After eating, Sir William came barging in with a crooked smile on his face. It startled us all and Jake nearly choked on his food.

"What brings you here tonight, William?" my father asked.

"I came to get the lad, John," he replied loudly. He was tipsy and he started to slur his words together. He obviously had been drinking before he came.

"I don't think that's a good idea," my father began to protest.

"I'm alright, John. You know me, I can handle my liquor," he proclaimed. He walked closer to me, grabbed my shoulders, and pulled me up. "The lad deserves one last night as a man! Now she can't do that after she done told the captain and crew."

"Sir William, I didn't plan on telling the captain and crew yet. It won't be a while till that," I explained. I started to get uncomfortable standing there. He held me beside him tightly leaving me no space to even move. Although the smell of alcohol was evident, he did smell nice.

I wonder what Captain James smells like, I thought.

"Grace!" Sir William yelled.

"What, Sir?!" I yelled back.

"You didn't answer my question!"

"Oh um, sorry, Sir. What was it again?" I asked foolishly.

"Ya' see, John. Tis' why she needs a drink! She'll be safe with us, I assure ya'."

"Grace, be responsible," my father commanded.

"Always am, Father," I answered before Sir William pushed me to the wardrobe.

"Dress like a man, my lad. As for you face and hair, I'll deal with that!" Sir William stepped outside and I could hear him singing loudly.

What are you about to get yourself into, Grace? I asked myself.

*******

Picture of Grace's dad on the right. I chose Hugh Jackman.